Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Express Carbon Solenoid Problems, check yours out

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
Yes a solenoid that is stuck open is probably debris from in the bottle or line.

As for what a NX rep told your friend... I have have no idea, I can't speak for NX. Again, maybe they can clarify.
I agree with you Vinny...the majority of the time a one piece solenoid sticking open is caused by debris. If I remember correctly NXJeremy posted on here a while back that their solenoids are a two piece design...aluminum outter shell with a small stainless steel insert for the plunger seat. Perhaps the rep was speaking about the tollerences between the aluminum and stainless being off thus causing leaks? Not sure if that's an issue, just speculating is all. Regardless of the issue, I'm sure everybody will be taken care of.

Nick
Old 09-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I do not think anyone from NX will respond, to public forums, seeing how thats what I did as a customer service and no longer work there.

There are 3 things that will stick a noid open.
1)trash between the piston and seat area,
2) someone grabbed the tower with pliers trying to check the piston and dented the tower. btw there is a tool for that.
3) electrical. power still applied to the noid. usually caused by bad wiring or stuck relay, OR even someone pushing the purge button to much.

Now for a fuel noid not to open.
1) piston is swollen, aditives in the fuel at times can expand the piston material shrinking the opening tolerance to nothing.
2) bad wiring
3) someone grabbed the tower with a pliers trying to check the piston and dented the tower. btw there is a tool for that.

Lightning solenoids use the same GUTS as the older NX Iceman solenoids.
Same tower, same piston, same oring, same spring, same coil. The only area that where changed, were the coil covers, and the base.
All specs as far as height lift etc are the same. The lightning did flow better do to less turns in the flow path. And being a bottom exit fuel.

I recommend anyone that has any issues with any system call the original MFG for that part and see what they say. Then there is not any of;
my buddies, best freinds, girl friends, 4th cousin, sisters, husband said stuff. You will know
888-463-2781 or 940-767-7694 are the phone numbers.

Anything else needed about these parts let me know. cheerio.

Ricky
Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
I do not think anyone from NX will respond, to public forums, seeing how thats what I did as a customer service and no longer work there.

There are 3 things that will stick a noid open.
1)trash between the piston and seat area,
2) someone grabbed the tower with pliers trying to check the piston and dented the tower. btw there is a tool for that.
3) electrical. power still applied to the noid. usually caused by bad wiring or stuck relay, OR even someone pushing the purge button to much.

Now for a fuel noid not to open.
1) piston is swollen, aditives in the fuel at times can expand the piston material shrinking the opening tolerance to nothing.
2) bad wiring
3) someone grabbed the tower with a pliers trying to check the piston and dented the tower. btw there is a tool for that.

Lightning solenoids use the same GUTS as the older NX Iceman solenoids.
Same tower, same piston, same oring, same spring, same coil. The only area that where changed, were the coil covers, and the base.
All specs as far as height lift etc are the same. The lightning did flow better do to less turns in the flow path. And being a bottom exit fuel.

I recommend anyone that has any issues with any system call the original MFG for that part and see what they say. Then there is not any of;
my buddies, best freinds, girl friends, 4th cousin, sisters, husband said stuff. You will know
888-463-2781 or 940-767-7694 are the phone numbers.

Anything else needed about these parts let me know. cheerio.

Ricky
theres one more one you missed....

using a fuel noid as your nitrous noid.... it might end up hanging open from the pressure....
Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
theres one more one you missed....

using a fuel noid as your nitrous noid.... it might end up hanging open from the pressure....
Naw that can not happen. If you use a fuel noid in a nitrous line, and install it correctly the in and out. It will never open. The hi pressure will create a huge cut edge in the fuel piston later causing a leak. And if you install it back wards the noid will start chattering and flowing nitrous.

Pressure is what keeps these solenoids sealed. Exp, I nitrous noid may leak or even hisssss at 400psi or so, but be sealed off at 800+ psi. That noid would be considered good...
Old 09-05-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to hear ... thanks for expounding. I feel a little more comfortable installing my kit this week ... appreciate the time you have dedicated to posting this ... thanks again.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 09-05-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling typo
Old 09-05-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

This is my second year with the Lightning soleniods, no issues to date. Granted I do not spray alot, but very happy with them so far.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
This is my second year with the Lightning soleniods, no issues to date. Granted I do not spray alot, but very happy with them so far.
you always happy, LOL I do not think I have ever read you being upset. And with a name BEER I understand why. Now wheres mine. LOL
Hope NX is still treating you well since I've been gone..

Ricky
Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have sold so many of these solenoids I could tell you if there was some huge problem..

Here is the story on the new lightning noids.
When they were first released about 2 years ago there were a few issues do to the magnetics of the solenoid changing from going to a carbon fiber can and alluminum base.

The problems were with the 500 hp Pro power solenoid and the purge solenoid. The purge solenoids were instantly fixed. It took alittle time for them to refigure the propower solenoids. So we stoped selling them. From what I under stand they have refigured the propower solenoids and they are fine as well now.

The problem consisted of the solenoid not wanting to open for anything over 950 psI. This would have nothing to do with a solenoid sticking open.
Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my dual nitrous Stage 6 noids in use for two years also, no problemos here. I still contend that the stg 6 noids may be one of the best noids out there. Any manufactured part has a fail rate, which is accepted in the buss world, just part of mass production.
Robert
Old 09-05-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Im thinking STRONGLEY about swaping my NOS solenoids out for new NX ones for this same reason. To many of them that sometimes stick open.

Not to mention I think the last time they were sprayed was 1995ish MAYBE 1997.

Yeah a $160 part is not worth a trashed engine.

What do you guys think? Car has sprayed a 300 a few times with both stages.

Keep them or ditch them.

They are old to, like 80's old. I think they are super shots....... or something like that.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Lightening Solenoids! They do tend to loosen up and need tightened every once in a while. I am flowing a .082 jet through the .093 Noid though I am guessing the aluminum gets cold and heats up cycling. Just my thoughts.

I ahve had to clean Several Purge Solenoids. Mainly when cleaing up an Install someone else did
Old 09-06-2007, 08:11 AM

If you are talking about the jam nut on top, simply add a small DOT of teflon paste to the thread and snugg. The carbon fiber can you can not torque down like the metal ones, the paste keep the nut from vibrating.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

you always happy, LOL I do not think I have ever read you being upset. And with a name BEER I understand why. Now wheres mine. LOL

Ricky
I like beer better than Beer likes beer. Ricky - what the hell are you up to these days? What is your gig? Where do I send pizza? BTW- I had an NX solenoid fail. It was my own fault for trashing it at install...other than that....got some rust in my purge. Replaced it and learned to never forget my vacuum line caps on my purge tubing.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:26 AM
TECH Addict

Ricky
Vinny and Dave have taken over for ya. Both are keeping up in stock with switches. Dave just got me a Black Stage Six NX Fuel noid as well to help in my Engine Bay Makeover...Probably be trying out the New Black NX opener soon too for my NX bottle, I am thinking of openers as a good safety device as well as a huge convienance.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Update

After a few more phone calls some of the problems are working their way out.

Car1-
We are checking to see if there is anything in the nitrous noid. When the owner bought the kit a few months ago, the fuel noid leaked on install. He sent it back to NX and they told him the the machined tolerances were wrong. The noid would not hold back the 60 psi. Nx replaced it.

Car2-
The Pro Purge solenoids had a problem from nx, and were corrected. Their was not enough metal for the noid to work. If you remember the older NX noids were all Stainless. When they went to the aluminum/ carbon noids the problems occurred. The fix was to put a small orifice and a larger nut of the top of the noid, thus making the magnet work better.

Car3-
Fuel noid was not opening, the plunger was stuck, Thus fuel related.

Car4-
Fuel noid was not opening, the plunger fell out when taking apart.

Car3 and car4 both used out of the same batch of race fuel from a local speed shop. The brand was VP, but not sure what octane, but i do know it was an unleaded blend.

It looks like the problems have worked there way out. Thanks for all the help , guys.

Last edited by roadtrip120; 09-07-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BadAssFast
I like beer better than Beer likes beer. Ricky - what the hell are you up to these days? What is your gig? Where do I send pizza? BTW- I had an NX solenoid fail. It was my own fault for trashing it at install...other than that....got some rust in my purge. Replaced it and learned to never forget my vacuum line caps on my purge tubing.
Mr. Macon hows the world treating you.?
I have been busy, been consultant on several new nitrous projects. New company is staying real busy.
Pizze I think its mine turn is it not.?
Yea rain water sitting will sooner or later start the rust process.

Remember to never wave a knife around while in an life raft in the middle of the ocean.

Ricky
Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Vinny and Dave have taken over for ya. Both are keeping up in stock with switches. Dave just got me a Black Stage Six NX Fuel noid as well to help in my Engine Bay Makeover...Probably be trying out the New Black NX opener soon too for my NX bottle, I am thinking of openers as a good safety device as well as a huge convienance.
So thats what NX used my black noid for. They hit me up a little while back and only needed one, go figure...
Good to hear they gotcha dialed in.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Hey guys this is Craig @ NX. I heard about the thread thru the grapevine and figured I woudl check it out for myself. It looks like most everything has been taken of here but if any of you guys are a little worried about your solenoids having issues, call me. Send me your solenoids. I have never been involved in the LS1 Tech forum but tring to take over what Ricky has been helping everyone with. 940-767-7694
Old 09-12-2007, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
We have sold so many of these solenoids I could tell you if there was some huge problem..

Here is the story on the new lightning noids.
When they were first released about 2 years ago there were a few issues do to the magnetics of the solenoid changing from going to a carbon fiber can and alluminum base.

The problems were with the 500 hp Pro power solenoid and the purge solenoid. The purge solenoids were instantly fixed. It took alittle time for them to refigure the propower solenoids. So we stoped selling them. From what I under stand they have refigured the propower solenoids and they are fine as well now.

The problem consisted of the solenoid not wanting to open for anything over 950 psI. This would have nothing to do with a solenoid sticking open.
Dave
I went through that, NX fixed it with a single phone call. I never had anything stick, just couldn't purge if bottle pressure was above 950.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Express Carbon Solenoid Problems, check yours out