Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Express Carbon Solenoid Problems, check yours out

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Nitrous Express Carbon Solenoid Problems, check yours out

This is the 3rd case of the new NX Carbon solenoids not working properly, in Amarillo. As a result one trashed motor.

Car #1 ( LS1 MAF kit)
The nitrous solenoid stuck open after a 1/8 mile run at the track. My friend heard the kit still spraying when he was pulling on to the return road. He turned off the bottle then killed the car. He said as the car was shutting off it back fired and blew up his FAST intake, (Pic 1 ), shattered the winshield, (pic 2 ), cracked the WS6 hood and lifted it off the hood hinges. When he opened the hood it was on fire , thus the flame retardent all over the engine bay to put it out .. Talk about a bad day , it was the first run. Only a 402 with a 100 shot 1/8 mile. 7.3 at 94mph... After we got home , we turned the bottle back on, the nitrous noid was still stuck open..
PIC 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Car # 2
Another friend had a custom NX carbon direct port kit on his 402 with a 300 shot.
After countless problems with the kit and figuring out that problem were not relay or wiring related he tested his solenoids. Both nitrous noids would not fire at all, and one fuel didn't open all the way!!
He sent the noids back to NX and after a month they fixed the problem (no charge).. But they admitted that " When the new carbon noids were sent out to be produced they were not machined to the same specs and the prototypes" As a result the noids were not firing or opening all the way!!!

Car #3
Basic gm kit, carbon noids, they would not fire all the time.
As a result car has been parked for poor performance. But after this weekend they will be shipped back to NX.

Not sure if anyone knows about the problem , other than NX.. But you may want to send them back to be checked out. A faulty $130.00 part just cost a friend around $6,000.00 in repairs and parts.

They may be getting a phone call from a lawyer in the future..

Funny how one of the best companies on the market can go the the worst with lack of R&D, or quality control.

I'll be sending my carbon kit back for inspection as well.

Last edited by roadtrip120; 09-04-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow I wonder if I can still get the old noids
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

poor TA
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1408cp
Nitrous outlet still list both style solenoids on their site.

I just bought two practically new lightning solenoids. They are stage ones .78 orifice which I will be using for the dry kit. Maybe I'll send them to NX for inspection before I install them on my car.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe someone from Nitrous Express can come on here and explain how these can be checked by the individual without having to send them back. This kit I bought has these solenoids and it's going on the car this week. Even though the kit is new still in the packaging, it was bought some time ago from NX. After reading this, I'm def not going to spray the car until the solenoids are checked.

If these can't be checked by the individual, then, maybe a NX rep can provide the standard way to ship them back and the what the cost would be, along with the turn-around time.

Randall, Craig, anyone?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1408cp
All of daves(nitrous outlets) customn (self branded) noids are the old nx.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

I will just buy a wilson direct port
Old 09-04-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am not sure if you can isolate lightning solenoids to any manufacturing flaw.
If you look at the design of the lighting solenoid vs older design, they are very similar, and share most of the same components. As far as I know, the piston, tower, and coil are all the exact same. Only the body and coil cover are different. With that being said, there should be no more probablility that a lighning solenoid would get stuck open and not any other solenoid.

In all cases I know of, a stuck solenoid is caused by debris holding it open. I have never seen any other reason for a stuck solenoid. It can happen to any solenoid at any time. Filters are your best defense against it, but anything can happen.

I certainly feel your pain with the damaged parts. Believe me, I know what thats like. It flat out sucks. You are very lucky you got the fire out that quick, it can spread very fast. Best of luck getting it back together.

Like mentioned before, maybe someone from NX could elaborate a little more.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
I am not sure if you can isolate lightning solenoids to any manufacturing flaw.
If you look at the design of the lighting solenoid vs older design, they are very similar, and share most of the same components. As far as I know, the piston, tower, and coil are all the exact same. Only the body and coil cover are different. With that being said, there should be no more probablility that a lighning solenoid would get stuck open and not any other solenoid.

In all cases I know of, a stuck solenoid is caused by debris holding it open. I have never seen any other reason for a stuck solenoid. It can happen to any solenoid at any time. Filters are your best defense against it, but anything can happen.

I certainly feel your pain with the damaged parts. Believe me, I know what thats like. It flat out sucks. You are very lucky you got the fire out that quick, it can spread very fast. Best of luck getting it back together.

Like mentioned before, maybe someone from NX could elaborate a little more.
I could not have said it better myself.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

So you guys are saying that the back fire was due to something in the line or bottle gets stuck in the noid causing it to stick open??

What about what NX rep told my friend.
" When the new carbon noids were sent out to be produced they were not machined to the same specs and the prototypes" As a result the noids were not firing or opening all the way!!! They changed the orifice size, something about each noid could have sparyed a 700 shot but now only a 300 shot. And he said something about anything over 800psi caused the problem to occur.

After NX repaired the faulty noids on car#2, they put "Ice Man" on the carbon housings.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roadtrip120
So you guys are saying that the back fire was due to something in the line or bottle gets stuck in the noid causing it to stick open??

What about what NX rep told my friend.
" When the new carbon noids were sent out to be produced they were not machined to the same specs and the prototypes" As a result the noids were not firing or opening all the way!!! They changed the orifice size, something about each noid could have sparyed a 700 shot but now only a 300 shot. And he said something about anything over 800psi caused the problem to occur.

After NX repaired the faulty noids on car#2, they put "Ice Man" on the carbon housings.
Yes a solenoid that is stuck open is probably debris from in the bottle or line.

As for what a NX rep told your friend... I have have no idea, I can't speak for NX. Again, maybe they can clarify.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

i had a problem with the lightning fuel solenoid also but it didn't sick open ,it would click like it was working and when i tried motor purging it it would quit working. i put on my old noid and it worked great. i sent the noid back to them for replacement but i am going to leave my old noid on for sure now. i'm sure glad i have a wideband or i would probably not have recognized something was wrong before it was to late.
this happened a few months ago btw.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM
8 second mod

hhmm, im running these noids hopefully they are all set.
we did burn up a purge noid, but i think it was a bad switch. vinny replaced it right away. thanks vin
but i run these noids and my cousins car has them. hopefully NX will jump on and fill us in. should we send them back?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Ya just talked to a my friend,( car 2 with the direct port kit), that already sent them back to NX.

"15200L" was on the bottom of the carbon nitrous noids, but when he got them back NX had changed to something else.

Both the MAF kit on the yellow car and the direct port kit had the "15200L" on the bottom of the noids. Maybe thats how we can tell if they are the bad one's.

He said NX changed the orifice from .125 to .110..
Old 09-04-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

... guess mine don't qiualify ... no number like that ... just .187 on my fuel solenoid and .093 on my nitorus solenoid.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

... uh-oh!

PN 15200L: .093 orifice Stg. 6 Nitrous Solenoid
PN 15201L: .187 orifice Stg. 6 Fuel Solenoid
Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
... uh-oh!

PN 15200L: .093 orifice Stg. 6 Nitrous Solenoid
PN 15201L: .187 orifice Stg. 6 Fuel Solenoid

Dun Dun DUN!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Oh ****!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I was just kidding. just call up NX and explain to them the dilemma and see what they have to say about it.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot100
I was just kidding. just call up NX and explain to them the dilemma and see what they have to say about it.
I know what they're gonna say, "thats racing".

Quick Reply: Nitrous Express Carbon Solenoid Problems, check yours out