Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why such a bad rep for ZEX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1 on the excellent customer service provided by the Comp group w/ the Zex systems.

Dave knows, I have always had NX stuff and it is GREAT but, ZEX makes a nice kit. I just received the one I won at the LSX shootout and it is the adjustable, 75-250 Kit offered for the LS1's. Very tidy, clean, and easy to put together. Speaking w/ the rep from Comp, they are excellent to deal with.

Just my .02

Kev
Old 10-27-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K9Kev
+ 1 on the excellent customer service provided by the Comp group w/ the Zex systems.

Dave knows, I have always had NX stuff and it is GREAT but, ZEX makes a nice kit. I just received the one I won at the LSX shootout and it is the adjustable, 75-250 Kit offered for the LS1's. Very tidy, clean, and easy to put together. Speaking w/ the rep from Comp, they are excellent to deal with.

Just my .02

Kev
What did you win the kit for?
Robert
Old 10-28-2007, 01:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

everyone complains about the purple, when the Wilsons Pro Flow kits are purple too, and a lot of big time guys use them, so i dont know what the big deal is. I had a ZEX kit on my camaro at one time and it worked just fine. Though i would recommend a nitrous outlet, NX, or HSW kit just for the upgradeability
Old 10-28-2007, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

Only real reason I don't care for them is the limited size on the shot you can spray...

-Will
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

My experience with the 82026 kit was as follows: The kit is positionally limited with the 2 foot -AN 3 lines to the nozzle. The expensive NMU failed under warranty and had to be replaced. There were some less than friendly moments getting this done. My idle would jump to about 1500 rpm when the system was armed and the A4 would not shift properly until the window switch low limit was achieved. In my situation, that would be about 3200 rpm. I called zex (comp cams) and they provided a 9.6k resistor to put in-line to the throttle position signal wire. This remedied the shifting problem and almost solved the higher idle rpm. The idle still increases about 200 rpm when the system is armed.

The solenoids are the small variety which do not require a lot of amperage; hence, you do not need a relay circuit for them to be activated. Just a good solid connection through 14 gauge wiring. This makes for a simpler installation.

As for the cheap parts claim; not so from my perspective. Zex has a good idea for a clean installation with the two solenoids and electronic open throttle switch within that container. It keeps things clean and protects the solenoids from engine compartment heat for a while. The color is not purple but orchid and the finish to the bottle and NMU are beautiful. It's a little kit that isn't designed to be upgraded. This is just what I wanted for my LT1. Just a quick note about using the 82026 with the LT1. The seller advertised it for both LS1 and LT1 applications but the truth of the matter is; it should be LS1 only. I had to add a boost pump to insure there was enough fuel. This added another $150. Not Zex's fault as they don't advertise it for the LT1 but beware if you are trying to use their wet kit with an LT1.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Not Zex's fault as they don't advertise it for the LT1 but beware if you are trying to use their wet kit with an LT1.
Zex does reccommend buying their upgraded fuel pump for the LT1 application. It isn't entirely necessary though for the jets supplied. I've been spraying mine with the biggest jets supplied in the kit (125) on the stock fuel pump without any problems.

There is nothing wrong with the Zex kits, though I do agree that the parts quality isn't the best (nor is the nozzle). They're just simple, beginner kits. If you're looking to customize your system or upgrade later then they aren't practical, especially for the price. These kits are expensive for what they offer. I've also noticed about a half second or so delay every time I hit it. Even with every shift the car will be at WOT N/A for nearly a second before it hits again.
I won't ever buy Zex again simply because the options are so limited. Everything is stuck in one obnoxious box and can only be a short distance from the nozzle, etc. It's just not customizable enough for my taste. It was a good learning experience though and made things fairly safe and simple.

Quick Reply: Why such a bad rep for ZEX?