Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has measured the resistance on the Dynotune solenoids?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has measured the resistance on the Dynotune solenoids?

First off, let me say that this is the most informative nitrous forum I have ever found. I have done an aweful lot of searching on this forum ever since I found it.

Who has ever measured the resistance on the coil on the Dynotune nitrous and fuel solenoid?

I get 5.1 ohms for the fuel solenoid and 1.8 ohms for my nitrous solenoid. I have the most common 175hp solenoids from Dynotune.

I have read on this forum that the resistance should be the same between the two solenoids.

Also, I would ask Dynotune, but they are very hard to get in touch with sometimes.

Some of you may ask why I'm bothering with this. Well, after installing my brand new Dynotune Nitrous Kit, I have had inconsistant sprays. Sometimes the 75 shot feels great and sometime it runs richer than normal and the car doesn't pull nearly as hard under the same bottle pressure.

I recently did some dyno testing to try to diagnose my problem and I got a 45whp and 74ft-lbs of torque gain with a 75 shot and 950psi bottle pressure.

Also, one night I had at the track, I noticed the nitrous wasn't hitting as hard as it should. And on the last run, I hit the nitrous and nothing happened except for my wideband going off the scales rich. So I got home, removed the nitrous feedline and cracked the bottle. Then I installed it and it ran fine again. Either there was a clog in the jet or the coil is failing intermittently. But, I found no clog in the jet or the nitrous solenoid after taking it apart. But now the nitrous is dropping off again just like it was at the track.

I am guessing the nitrous solenoid coil is not properly pulling back the plunger under some conditions.

One more thing, I have never sprayed my nitrous over 1100psi bottle pressure.

I appreciate any help you nitrous gurus can offer.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Teching In

I don't know man my kit was giving me the same inconsistent performance i just swapped the solenoids with new 250 hp ones from dynotune and it has been performing better.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Teching In

hey mine just started to act up too. i hadn't used it in a while and today it wouldn't work. it clicks open when the bottle is off or closed, but would not open under pressure.

i'll be checking it out tomorrow . i wonder if theres a fix for it or if it's done for.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Do any of you guys have a multimeter to measure the resistance of your coils?

All you have to do is flip the multimeter to the lowest resistance setting, then touch both wires with the probes.

I am more curious if the two solenoids should be reading the same resistance or not.

My guess is that if one coil has less resistance, then it has shorted out and will not produce the magnetic field needed to lift the plunger fully, especially under pressure.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Ok, I have an update for those that care. I talked with Dean at Dynotune and he sent me another nitrous and fuel solenoid. Those are guaranteed to be in perfect working order. I measured the resistance and they were the same as mine.

Nitrous Solenoid Resistance: 1.8 ohms
Fuel Solenoid Resistance: 5.1 ohms

Dan told me the resistance is suppose to be different! Now that I look at them, the coils on the fuel and nitrous solenoids are different sizes. This information may help someone one day.

But I installed the new nitrous solenoid along with a nitrous filter (yes, I didn't have one before. I now realize the importance of one).

I took my car for a quick drive and boy it hits hard! So, I either had a faulty nitrous solenoid or a clog in the nitrous line somewhere or both. I need a little more time to see if the problem comes back like it did last time I cleared the lines. It's also likely that I got some bad dirty nitrous. That wouldn't surprise me too much.

Thanks to Dan and Dean at Dynotune Nitrous Systems for actually caring. Good customer service! A+

Quick Reply: Who has measured the resistance on the Dynotune solenoids?