Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTENTION!!! HSW Brand new wet nozzel clogged!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default ATTENTION!!! HSW Brand new wet nozzel clogged!!

Well here is the story.. bought a nitrous kit from Matt (great guy BTW) early last year. I never ended up installing it. This year I sold it to a friend with the FJO box for his 94 t/a. (took it hard and lost a bunch of money on the deal =/. was all brand new in the package too)

Well we installed everything and had some issues with the FJO box working (brand new box... i think it was the TPS wire that was giving us issues), and never got it to spray (thank god). Well later my friend was playing with the nozzle and was blowing through it. . . the nitrous side let him blow but the fuel side did not . So he took it apart as far as he could and started scraping some hard green stuff out of the nozzle until it flowed freely.

If it would have sprayed it would have been the end of that little motor (coulda been mine!!! ).

I just thought i would bring this to everyones attention to check EVERYTHING. And for these nitrous kit manufacturers to triple check everything. It aint the companys fault if someone blows their motor, but in this case it would be (kit was BRAND NEW right out of package!!!)....

like i said... thought i would warn everyone and definitly bring this to Matt's attention
Old 09-09-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scary, this means God likes yalls motors
Old 09-09-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing your friend like to blow
Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Green stuff sounds like oxidation.. is the nozzel copper? If it is.. it sounds like there was moisture in or around the packaging and it started to corrode the copper. Personally I don't think HSW has anything to do with this issue. They probably keep it in a climate controlled warehouse until its shipped. It sounds like it was stored in a moist area and the water + air causted it to corrode. Just my .02 cents.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Corvettekid82
Green stuff sounds like oxidation.. is the nozzel copper? If it is.. it sounds like there was moisture in or around the packaging and it started to corrode the copper. Personally I don't think HSW has anything to do with this issue. They probably keep it in a climate controlled warehouse until its shipped. It sounds like it was stored in a moist area and the water + air causted it to corrode. Just my .02 cents.
very possible. But here in wyoming it is super dry (not humid at all... my skin drys out bad) and usually hot. On top of that, far as i know their (HSW) nozzles are either stainless steel (which is what mine is i believe) or aluminum. They are really nice looking pieces. Plus the nozzle never left the shrink wrapped packaging while i had it.

like i said.. no pointing figures really.... i don't care since nothing got fucked... and I LOVED doing buisness with them and would and probably will do more with them (if I decide to do nitrous again).
Old 09-09-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know ANYONE who has installed a kit and not checked both sides of the nozzle by blowing into each side. Any part can be faulty and should be tested before spraying. Over time, corrosion does happen. Parts are faulty form the manufacturer at times. I would not see it as anyone's fault or responsiblity if the guy sprayed without chekcing it first. I haven't even finished my kit install and I'm a TOTAL noob to nitrous, but, one of the first things I did last week when I got my stuff was to check the nozzle by blowing through each side to ensure it wasn't going to **** up my motor. IMHO opinion, HSW is not responsible for the lack of checking your nozzle before risking bowing up your ****.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed a few and not checked.

The green stuff sounds like thread locker. Maybe a bit too much during assembly. Corosion on aluminum is white powder, on steel its rust. Unless there are copper parts in there..its not likley corrosion if its green.

So good advice...CHECK YOUR STUFF BEFORE SPRAYING....from every company!

Not that you should have to...but none of these manufacturers are huge conglomerates with a massive QC department. So check your stuff.

Glad you found it before you sprayed it man. Disaster averted
Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Not sure what it could have been if it was green in color. Do you still have any in the nozzle (I would like to take a look at it)?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
Not sure what it could have been if it was green in color. Do you still have any in the nozzle (I would like to take a look at it)?

Thanks,
Matt
yeah we still have the whole kit.. he traded in the car and we took it all off.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

PM me your info so I can have a call tag sent out to pick up the nozzle.

Thanks,
Matt

Originally Posted by Dragframe
yeah we still have the whole kit.. he traded in the car and we took it all off.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get aircraft parts from time to time that have a green wax as an anti corrosion type of coating. If it were that, you would think that all of the nozzles from the manufacturer would have it though.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Green hard stuff would more than likely be from excessive locktite when the fittings were installed into the nozzle.

In regaurds to your suggestion for all manafactures to check quality before shipping.
This is why everything gets flowed and goes through quality controll before being put in the bins to build from at our store. A simple little problem like this could be a potential huge problem.

Im sure most companies building there own products try to use these same practices.
Dave
Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
FormerVendor

Loctite cures white/pinkish in color, not green. Besides that the orifice on the nozzle is .110, I can't see how that much loctite was used that it would actually block the passage. Since the nozzle doesn’t have the green blockage in it nor did Dragframe actually see the nozzle all we can do is speculate as to what it was.

Matt

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
I have installed a few and not checked.

The green stuff sounds like thread locker. Maybe a bit too much during assembly. Corosion on aluminum is white powder, on steel its rust. Unless there are copper parts in there..its not likley corrosion if its green.

So good advice...CHECK YOUR STUFF BEFORE SPRAYING....from every company!

Not that you should have to...but none of these manufacturers are huge conglomerates with a massive QC department. So check your stuff.

Glad you found it before you sprayed it man. Disaster averted
Old 09-12-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

I use green threadlocker..it dries green. Its not loctite brand...much CHEAPER than the damn loctite. Just FYI.

You can even used the green loctite for retaining cylindrical parts as thread sealer. Thats green as well. Works just as good as thread sealer. I think half that stuff is all the same crap with different dye on it...lol.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

The locktite we use dries green as well.
Dave
Old 09-14-2007, 12:57 PM
FormerVendor

LOL, slow day Dave? So I guess you don't use Loctite do you?

Matt

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
The locktite we use dries green as well.
Dave
Old 09-14-2007, 01:11 PM
FormerVendor

Really Dave? Then why aren't you guys testing your bottles too?

http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159351

Matt

Green hard stuff would more than likely be from excessive locktite when the fittings were installed into the nozzle.

In regaurds to your suggestion for all manafactures to check quality before shipping.
This is why everything gets flowed and goes through quality controll before being put in the bins to build from at our store. A simple little problem like this could be a potential huge problem.

Im sure most companies building there own products try to use these same practices.
Dave
Old 09-14-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Things happen to ALL manufacturers. Its how you guys deal with it that counts. Looks like all parties have been taken care of. No need to sling mud here guys.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
Really Dave? Then why aren't you guys testing your bottles too?

http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159351

Matt
Matt,
I guess you are getting your panties in a wadd today?

I never posted anything directed towards you or your company. In responce to his remark about all nitrous companies need to check there quality I responded with most companies have a quality controll process. I assumed you do as well. I could be wrong.

My post in this area never even directed anything at you. So no reason to take anything I have posted out of context.

As far as what he described as in the nozzle it sounded like it could be loctite. We use green loc-tite to lock our nozzle fittings in.
I was simply stating it was probley loc tite...

Yes we test and flow every part that leaves here. I can not remember the exact info on that leaky valve seal. But Ofcourse I took care of it right away.

It would have been a pinched O-ring or the valve not been tighted enough when it was installed. Either way it would not have caused any motor damage
like a cloged flowing part. We make sure to flow every plate and every nozzle before shipping.

Ill take one leaky valve seal anyday over a cloged flowing part.. I also think with the amount of volume we sale,build and ship having one leaky bottle seal are pretty good odds..

Again my post in this thread were to be informative to nitrous companies and products in general. Nothing aimed or directed towards you or your company.

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet; 09-14-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

No, not at all lol. I was just pointing out was that you said that all your products get checked before shipping out. Guess that one bottle made it through the cracks lol?

Sure, all mfgs have QC. We don't use any green thread sealers, not to mention it would take a ton to clog a nozzle, and I doubt that it could easily be scraped out of the nozzle after curing. Personally I would LOVE to see what it was, but there apparently isn't any of the mysterious green stuff to look at. I did just look at one of your nozzles; I don't see any green thread sealant on the threads, looks more like white Teflon paste.

Matt

Matt,
I guess you are getting your panties in a wadd today?

I never posted anything directed towards you or your company. In responce to his remark about all nitrous companies need to check there quality I responded with most companies have a quality controll process. I assumed you do as well. I could be wrong.

My post in this area never even directed anything at you. So no reason to take anything I have posted out of context.

As far as what he described as in the nozzle it sounded like it could be loctite. We use green loc-tite to lock our nozzle fittings in.
I was simply stating it was probley loc tite...

Yes we test and flow every part that leaves here. I can not remember the exact info on that leaky valve seal. But Ofcourse I took care of it right away.

It would have been a pinched O-ring or the valve not been tighted enough when it was installed. Either way it would not have caused any motor damage
like a cloged flowing part. We make sure to flow every plate and every nozzle before shipping.

Ill take one leaky valve seal anyday over a cloged flowing part.. I also think with the amount of volume we sale,build and ship having one leaky bottle seal are pretty good odds..

Again my post in this thread were to be informative to nitrous companies and products in general. Nothing aimed or directed towards you or your company.

Thanks
Dave