Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody run an EGT gague?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody run an EGT gague?

Going to install an EGT and Fuel Pressure gauges this weekend. Is there a suggested cylinder to mount the gauge in? (as in, does one cylinder usually run leaner than others? - that would be the one to mount the probe tip in).

I know that temperature depends on the mounting location of the probe, but does anyone have any EGT guidelines? I've done some googling, but still looking.

Thanks,

Andrew

Old 06-10-2003, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Anybody run an EGT gague?

We run EGT gauges in all of the bosted cars. I have yet to put one in the Z. I would reccomend going with anything other that Autometer. Love the Autometer gauges but do not like the egt gauge. I have heard stories of the probe melting. Only heard that with boosted cars. I would reccomend going with Greddy, Apexi, Defi, any of the "ricer" guages. Greddy being the cheapest. I do not know which runner to mount it in, but do know t mount it about an inch from the head/flange.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe i can help you a little on this issue , when you say GUAGE i take it you are getting a pyrometer and not a digital readout meter , I run a Autometer 2 channel Pyrometer (guage) and a digital readout meter , i use the pyrometer because it has an alarm on it and you can hook to a quicklight , and i have had NO PROBLEMS with my autometer .... as for your questions , You mount the probes in #1 and #2 cylinders on a small block chevrolet as these are the HOTTEST 2 cylinders , and you monunt the probe 2"s away from the head in the primary , if you cant get 2"s then as far as you can go but NO MORE than 2"s , 1" is a little close in my opinion and will tend to give you some false readings because you will be in the flame , and everytime the exhaust valve opened it would shoot WAY up then come way back down .... as for what EGTs should run temp wise i would have to know a little bit more about your motor as they will change from motor to motor
Old 06-11-2003, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

i have the dual channel computech with the probes mounted on number 7 and number 8 primary.

i keep the readout box in the glovebox but it has enough wire to place in the seat so i can watch it.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I got the Autometer 4344 - the Pro-Comp Ultralite Pyrometer. I want to be able to watch temps on my new motor - both N/A and on the spray. It came in tonight, but it'll be next week before I can get around to installing it, more than likely.

The motor's a 346 solid roller, and I'll be spraying a 100 shot at first, working my way up to 150. Just got too much $$ in the motor to let 'er melt.

Cheers,

Andrew

Quick Reply: Anybody run an EGT gague?