Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window switch headaches

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Window switch headaches

Okay....been through two different switches now and both are flaky. The car will spray occasionally, and then stop. Here's the thing--if I stop the car and pull the key out, it will then spray the next time I try, and then stop again.

Here's my main question....my Harlan window switch came with a diode that they say should be used between terminals 85 and 86 on the relay. I have not installed it yet...did anybody else?

I know my ground and tach wires are sound....tested and re-tested them.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The diode is to clamp the flyback voltage from the relay when it switches off. This voltage spike can wreak havoc on digital components, i.e - the procsessor in the window switch. I would try installing the diode and see if it works ok then.

Also the type of plug wires can cause interferance issues with digital electonics. Some manufactuers claim that thier plug wires are EMI/RFI Suppresion when in fact they emit a great deal of electrical noise. When you spray the cylinder pressures rises making it harder for the air to ioinize and the spark to jump the gap on the plug. This raises the voltage on the plug wires and can create a situation where the problem only occurs when high cylinder pressures exist (when spraying).

I would definaltly install the diode first thing and test.