Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 shot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007 | 05:18 PM

Man, I usually don't like convertible Vettes, but your's looks sick!

Can the Nitrous Outlet plate kit be set to 50 as sold, or do I need to buy a set of jets for it? (Not that it's a big deal)
Old 12-11-2007 | 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

As Sold here is what you get.

Regardless of which plate ya get HSW/NO/NOS if you know your gonna spray a certain size, consider a couple fuel jets smaller and bigger for fine tuning the AFR.

Last edited by Beer99C5; 12-11-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2007 | 09:33 PM

the plate kits are nice for what you want to do, but for your set up i would not go more than 100-125hp due to the power your car is currently making with the stock shortblock, and your tune should be adjusted for any NOS usage to be safe.
If you want to look at 2 different NOS/NX set ups go to JL s house and look at his NOS plate kit and my NX nozzle kit to see some kits installed on cars.

your car on a 100hp shot will be a BEAST!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2007 | 09:42 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

As Beer stated our plate kits are shipped with jetting from 50-100-150-200....they also come with the SHO upgrade so there are no flow restrictions anywhere in the kit. Your jetting becomes the limiting factor up to 400 HP
Old 12-12-2007 | 01:17 PM

Thanks for all the great info guys! Looks like I have some choices to make as there are alot of options. Even reliabilty doesn't seem to be a big issue much since most of these kits seem well tested.

Chef, I don't plan on going over 75-100, but I don't think my car would have a problem with a 150 shot. That'd probably put me around 550rwhp and I haven't seen too many cars have problems in that range. I'll definitely get it tuned for whatever I run though.
Old 12-13-2007 | 05:55 PM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Ron if you want to take a look at my setup you're welcome to at any time. Personally I wouldn't put more then 100 to it, I mean when you get a kit take the jets for more then 100 and let someone else have them don't even have them in your possession LOL.

I went to the track, ran my car once with a 100 shot and had the 150 jets in it within 5 minutes of the end of that run. 2 other things, tune for the biggest shot you will ever run, and when you are gonna spray the car, please, PLEASE put at least some unleaded race gas in it. You WILL be at what I would call the ragged edge for what a stock shortblock will take and I don't want to see you hurt the car.
Old 12-15-2007 | 09:16 AM

Yeah, I'll definitely come check out your setup. Like I said, I plan on running a 50 shot so I don't think I'll be at the edge for my motor (especially since people seem to lose hp on the nitrous tune in general). The whole reason I've been against nitrous on my car in the past is because of all the safety nonsense. Lose NA power on tune, can only run it with special gas, etc. If I can't run it in street trim then I'm not gonna run it.
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

I am really thinkin of runnin a 75 shot myself. I was thinkin just a dry shot, I've already had an n/a tune though so I guess once it's installed I'll had back to eastside to have em do another tune for nitrous. I have a high mileage car and am also worried, I used to plan on doing a 100 shot but now the longer I wait the more worried I get thinkin of all the reliability issues. And I hate the idea of refilling the bottle as well, figure a smaller shot will mean the bottle will last longer, and will be more reliable?
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:14 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

You can run it safely that's not a problem, it just has to be set up right. You will lose a little n/a power from the tune, but so much that you can't recoup that in another way. Personally, I think if you got enough weight out of the car so that when all said and done the nitrous stuff doesn't add any weight, you'd probably never even notice the 10 hp you's lose from the tune.

You don't have to run special gas either, but it's one of those things that if you do, you can get away with a little more before being on the edge of having problems that's all. Don't go by what I'm doing in that department because I am in a different realm of things with the compression and whatnot.

On another note, you and the wife, and your brother and his other 1/2 gonna come over on new years (no steve this year please)
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:14 AM

Yeah, I think a 50 shot will be good for now. Then in the future when I build the motor down the road I can up the shot. LOL, then again, like Jay said, he had the 100 jets in and 5 minutes later he was upping them, lol.

Hey Jay, I'm off Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thurday this coming week. Are you gonna be around at all? Emily gets home around 7:00 so I'll head home around then. What time do you get home from work?
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:16 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Jimmy you need to put a rear and converter in your car first.. you get those 2 things done along with a few suspension parts you will probably pick up at least a 1/2 second just from that stuff.

Add a fuel pump and a 100 shot and you'll be in the same boat your buddy with the mustang is, needing a rollbar.
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:17 AM

I'll have to look into some weight reduction. I'm not gonna pull alot though, since it's a street cruiser. As for getting the 10 hp back, I have a few ideas

I won't be able to make New Years this year since I have to work. I was looking forward to going too. It' always a great time!
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:18 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Yeah, I think a 50 shot will be good for now. Then in the future when I build the motor down the road I can up the shot. LOL, then again, like Jay said, he had the 100 jets in and 5 minutes later he was upping them, lol.

Hey Jay, I'm off Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thurday this coming week. Are you gonna be around at all? Emily gets home around 7:00 so I'll head home around then. What time do you get home from work?

Tuesday and thursday nights I go to my old job and work part time, but wednesday night I am usually home if ya want to swing by, I'm usually home by about 6. Unfortunately, I don't get out at this job until 5 so with the damn hartford traffic I am usually not home until almost 6.

If ya want, you and Emily can swing by after she's home maybe go out and get something to eat or whatever... lemme know so I can tell Nancy
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:21 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

No problem on new years, I figured you'd probably be stuck working. Emily is still welcome if she'd like to come, and if Joe and Mara aren't busy they are more then welcome as well.

I can think of about 10 things that will pull some weight out, some are pretty substantial and you'd probably never even notice it done... and it's all free stuff too so no $ involved. If ya wanna spend a couple bucks, then there's a bunch of stuff you can do.
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Your right I outta just save for that rear, I'm so worried about that thing breaking it's another reason I wanted to go with a small shot. I'll try to control myself and hold off till I've saved enough for a rear atleast, that'll cost a lot more than the nitrous.
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:24 AM

Sounds good Jay, we'll discuss my options on Wednesday
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:26 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Might cost more, but you toss a set of 3.73's or 3.90's in a 12 bolt and watch what that does for the times. I bet that alone whacks .2 off your times. Toss a 4000 converter in there with the biggest tranny cooler you can find, and that will chop another .2 maybe .3 Then a little suspension work and some weight, it will run an 11 second pass before putting any nitrous to it.

Or, just do the rear, driveshaft converter and nitrous and get kicked out after your first run
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:27 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Sounds good Jay, we'll discuss my options on Wednesday
No problem mengs. Gimmie a call later tonite I will be home after 7 (at work now) and we can firm things up.
Old 12-15-2007 | 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Might cost more, but you toss a set of 3.73's or 3.90's in a 12 bolt and watch what that does for the times. I bet that alone whacks .2 off your times. Toss a 4000 converter in there with the biggest tranny cooler you can find, and that will chop another .2 maybe .3 Then a little suspension work and some weight, it will run an 11 second pass before putting any nitrous to it.

Or, just do the rear, driveshaft converter and nitrous and get kicked out after your first run
I believe ya, no doubt. I just didn't wanna spend much more money on this car (atleast not till I felt financially safer). I thought if I could get away with a small shot of nitrous safely for now I would, but sounds like ya gotta pay to play...

I wanna look into a bit of weight reduction while I'm saving though.
Old 12-15-2007 | 11:03 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Weight reduction is easy After new years chef's car should be out of my garage, and I will have mine all gutted down to zero again so I can have the fab guy finish the 6 pt off into a 10 pt as well as a couple other things, if you wanna swing by once it's all apart you can see where and what can be taken out easily.