Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50 shot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good man, that's insane that you already hit 10's allmotor and 9's on spray full weight, I can't wait to see what you will do next season. Let me know what day is good for you I'd really like to see what I can take out without taking away too much safety things.

Last edited by jimmy169; 12-15-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't call my car full weight, it's 3500 with my 280 lbs in it, I've taken alot of stuff out already, but have a ton more to do.

There's a solid 75 lbs you can take out of you are willing to take the time/do the work that noone will ever know you did. You'll see someday when you stop by.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Nice I want to go for it. Need to make up for my heavy auto. Weight redux and some spray, could be interesting.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:22 PM

LOL, I still have my jack and spare tire in mine. I'm gonna wait until I get my Torque Thrust II's and heavy driveshaft in it and then baseline the weight. Then I'll start with a lighter hood, removing the jack and spare tire, and possibly my front bumper foam. Then I'll check out what Jay has up his sleeve for me
Old 12-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Race your car!

Hell you have yet to begin with that stuff LOL. ONly downside to what I have for ya to do is a little more interior noise, nothing that will really bother ya I'm sure.

if you go with those wheels... personally I'd look into running runflat's on them. I know they don't hook on the street at all... but in your field of work you shouldn't be playing anyway LOL. Plus I know you won't go to the track with them on there.

I do have a mint set of OEM C5 zo6 wheels if you're intrested, take a look on wednesday when you are here, the rims are 100% perfect, need tires but the rims themselves are spotless. Maybe come by with your car one saturday when the weather isn't too bad and you can toss a couple on the car and see if it's a look you like.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Spray at least 150 and don't look back.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Race your car!

screamin don't listen to clowns like the above post, guys like that are what gives nitrous a bad name.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattDZ28
Spray at least 150 and don't look back.
Jl, im not defending him in anyway, but all you read on here is prople spraying 100-200 with out issues, im thinking about nitrous myself, i had nitrous on mustang previously and am wondering the same questions screaming red z is asking also but that all you hear is most people with bigger shots without issues.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Race your car!

I have seen all too many times people just tossing 150 at a stock botom end that's already making 420 rwhp and then wondering what went wrong. I know there's a few people that have gotten away with it for a while at well over the 500 rwhp level, but I can't say it enough... for every person that has done it there's 100 that have broken stuff trying.

The other infamous situation is people that were spraying alot and then blow stuff up and you just dont' hear about it because they don't talk about it. I don't even know how many times I have seen someone run right on the mark of a #, wether it be on the verge of 9's, on the verge of 8's, or a guy that's on a record pace then all of a sudden you see them drop off the map. When this happens, 9 out of 10 times it's because they blew their stuff up, and good.

Screamin's car makes really good power for what it is, and I personally feel any more then a 100 on his car will put him into a risk range that's just not worth it. I don't think he's quite ready to build a motor, that being said I advise him to air on the side of caution.

Can you put a 100 shot on a stock motor absolutely, can you do 200 some people have and have had no issues, hell some people have done even more, but I guarintee that as soon as you start talking about 150+ the # of people with issues goes up dramaticially.

I just don't want to see someone hurt stuff because some internet superhero tells them " oh yeah, you can spray xxx and have no issues", then have them do it and poof there goes #7
Old 12-15-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

So how does a 75 shot compare to say 100-125 shot, much safer or not much of a dif. reliability wise?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Race your car!

The more you hit it with, the more stress it puts on stuff. Jimmy with 100+K on your car, I'd get everything else done first to be honest.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply Jl, my car makes 392- what ever the 12 bolt took away i was debating on a ported 90/90 set up because a good set of heads is awhile away for me, so i was thinking of leaving the car as is and just adding 100 shot to it, for about the same cost id get alot more power, but i would like to leave this car n/a if possible? im just tossing some ideas around. thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I have seen all too many times people just tossing 150 at a stock botom end that's already making 420 rwhp and then wondering what went wrong. I know there's a few people that have gotten away with it for a while at well over the 500 rwhp level, but I can't say it enough... for every person that has done it there's 100 that have broken stuff trying.

The other infamous situation is people that were spraying alot and then blow stuff up and you just dont' hear about it because they don't talk about it. I don't even know how many times I have seen someone run right on the mark of a #, wether it be on the verge of 9's, on the verge of 8's, or a guy that's on a record pace then all of a sudden you see them drop off the map. When this happens, 9 out of 10 times it's because they blew their stuff up, and good.

Screamin's car makes really good power for what it is, and I personally feel any more then a 100 on his car will put him into a risk range that's just not worth it. I don't think he's quite ready to build a motor, that being said I advise him to air on the side of caution.

Can you put a 100 shot on a stock motor absolutely, can you do 200 some people have and have had no issues, hell some people have done even more, but I guarintee that as soon as you start talking about 150+ the # of people with issues goes up dramaticially.

I just don't want to see someone hurt stuff because some internet superhero tells them " oh yeah, you can spray xxx and have no issues", then have them do it and poof there goes #7
Old 12-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Race your car!

99z you'd probably be fine with a 100 shot on the car, just make sure that you have all the supporting stuff taken care of to make it safe... a set of 36 or 42 lb injectors if you go with a dry kit, or a racetronix fuel pump with the hotwire if you go with a wet kit.

The first time you spray the car I would start on the lowest jetting you have, 75 or whatever and do it at the track, at the end of the run shut the car off and coast around to the return road and pull some plugs right there so you can get a good read on them. If they look good, then put the 100 jets in it and do another run, but again, at the end of the 1/4 shut the motor off and coast around, and pull the plugs again. Loss of power steering and all that sucks, but it's the only way to get a good read on the plugs. It's a bitch with power brakes/steering that doesn't work when trying to slow down from 135+ too, but that's what I did for all my first runs. Better safe then sorry.

If you only have the 100 jets, then I'd make a run to the 1/8th and shut it off, and do the same procedure.

I personally went with a Nos plate setup, and the results were very very good. The jetting supplied with the kit is nice and safe, and the gains were certainly impressive.

Last trip to lvd the car ran 10.57@125.8 n/a with the bias ply et drag... went to atco, first run off the trailer with a few more degrees of timing pulled car went 9.77@135 on the 100 jetting, upped it to 150 and it went 9.61@ 138 and a 9.63 @139, but the 60 foot actually got worse with the 150 jetting (spinning some)

It's been a pretty consistant thing I have seen, at least with automatic cars that a 100 shot will knock about .7 to .8 off, and a 150 if the car hooks it will go about .9 to 1.2 seconds faster.

Sure you will lose roughly 10 hp from the tune adjustment, but if you can find a way to take 20 lbs more then what the nitrous stuff weigh's out of the car, the 10 hp you lost will never be noticed. I do see you're running 4.30 gears, unless you are gonna put at least a 28 inch tire on you will run out of gear. I've got 4.10's in with a 28 inch tire and at 139 the car was at about 7200 going thru the traps, so I'm gonna make a change over the winter to either a set of 3.90's or 3.73's You probably will need 3.73's to get thru on a 26 inch tire, especially if you run a radial that doesn't grow at all to help with the tire height. Or, just get a set of drag rims for the track and put a set of 275/60 radials on and a set of 4.10's that would work fine too. And that tire will fit without any real moding other then a small hammering on teh inner lower lip, I ran a set most of the season and they bolted right on.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

99z you'd probably be fine with a 100 shot on the car, just make sure that you have all the supporting stuff taken care of to make it safe... a set of 36 or 42 lb injectors if you go with a dry kit, or a racetronix fuel pump with the hotwire if you go with a wet kit.

The first time you spray the car I would start on the lowest jetting you have, 75 or whatever and do it at the track, at the end of the run shut the car off and coast around to the return road and pull some plugs right there so you can get a good read on them. If they look good, then put the 100 jets in it and do another run, but again, at the end of the 1/4 shut the motor off and coast around, and pull the plugs again. Loss of power steering and all that sucks, but it's the only way to get a good read on the plugs. It's a bitch with power brakes/steering that doesn't work when trying to slow down from 135+ too, but that's what I did for all my first runs. Better safe then sorry.

If you only have the 100 jets, then I'd make a run to the 1/8th and shut it off, and do the same procedure.

I personally went with a Nos plate setup, and the results were very very good. The jetting supplied with the kit is nice and safe, and the gains were certainly impressive.

Last trip to lvd the car ran 10.57@125.8 n/a with the bias ply et drag... went to atco, first run off the trailer with a few more degrees of timing pulled car went 9.77@135 on the 100 jetting, upped it to 150 and it went 9.61@ 138 and a 9.63 @139, but the 60 foot actually got worse with the 150 jetting (spinning some)

It's been a pretty consistant thing I have seen, at least with automatic cars that a 100 shot will knock about .7 to .8 off, and a 150 if the car hooks it will go about .9 to 1.2 seconds faster.

Sure you will lose roughly 10 hp from the tune adjustment, but if you can find a way to take 20 lbs more then what the nitrous stuff weigh's out of the car, the 10 hp you lost will never be noticed. I do see you're running 4.30 gears, unless you are gonna put at least a 28 inch tire on you will run out of gear. I've got 4.10's in with a 28 inch tire and at 139 the car was at about 7200 going thru the traps, so I'm gonna make a change over the winter to either a set of 3.90's or 3.73's You probably will need 3.73's to get thru on a 26 inch tire, especially if you run a radial that doesn't grow at all to help with the tire height. Or, just get a set of drag rims for the track and put a set of 275/60 radials on and a set of 4.10's that would work fine too. And that tire will fit without any real moding other then a small hammering on teh inner lower lip, I ran a set most of the season and they bolted right on.

Thanks JL, i like my 4:30's i planned on running a 27 in tire n/a, im stil unsure of the nitrous as of now, i plan on calling Don and seeing what he thinks. thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Race your car!

4.30's with a 27 inch tire will work good, if you were thinking about running a 27 inch hoosier qtp, I'd suggest looking at the 28x9 et drag, they are actually 27.3 tall and will work a good bit better then the hoosier qtp I am aure of it. Your gearing/tire will work great n/a but adding nitrous will run you out of gear.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

4.30's with a 27 inch tire will work good, if you were thinking about running a 27 inch hoosier qtp, I'd suggest looking at the 28x9 et drag, they are actually 27.3 tall and will work a good bit better then the hoosier qtp I am aure of it. Your gearing/tire will work great n/a but adding nitrous will run you out of gear.
Jl, i wil only be using my stock 16x8 in stockers so tire sizes are limited, i was going to use the et street 27x10.5 16, hoosier dose make a 28x10 16 pure slick but my car is lowered so im not sure how that work work with clearance issues with a 28 in tire, my fenders are not rolled.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

pill it till you kill it, jk..i thought my 75 shot would be fine until i got tired of it, lol
Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 AM

^The only reason people get tired of the level they are at with nitrous is because it's so easy to up it. When people get a set of heads they aren't complaining that they only gained 50 rwhp and not 150. However, most people have their next mods planned out before they even get the current ones on the car.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
However, most people have their next mods planned out before they even get the current ones on the car.
Christ that's almost sig material LOL.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (06-28-2021)
Old 12-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by 99zman
Jl, i wil only be using my stock 16x8 in stockers so tire sizes are limited, i was going to use the et street 27x10.5 16, hoosier dose make a 28x10 16 pure slick but my car is lowered so im not sure how that work work with clearance issues with a 28 in tire, my fenders are not rolled.

I am not sure what lowering is gonna do for clearance to be honest. I know that 27 inch tires fit with no problems at all, 28 inch radials (not the 325 that takes alot of work, but the 275/60/15) will also fit, it's the bias ply groth that makes them need more room.

IMO, if you're limited size wise then I would go with whatever you can get in a full slick. I know there's 16 inch slicks, not et streets, full et drag's With a stick car you'll be better off with a soft sidewall slick anyway. You might even be better off with a 26x10 et drag then a 27 inch et street. I played with the dot slicks, and they don't compare to the et drag traction that I am sure of.