Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does The Halo Work For 150 Dry Shots

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does The Halo Work For 150 Dry Shots

I Bought A Nitro Dave Halo With The Intention Of Using It In My Dry System. The Plan Was To Add Fuel And Pull Timeing With The Iat And Maf Tables ...

Now I Read That Since The Halo "atomizes" The N20 Better Than A Nozzle The Maf And Iat Dont Really Pick It Up As Well And You May Not Be Able To Set It Up So You Have The Abilty To Trigger The Sensors To Read Extream Values While Spraying...

Are Thir People That Use The Halo On 150 Sized Shots And Have Tuned This Way?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

How much experience do you have tuning? If its just beginners experience (like most of us), I'd advise against it....

-Will
Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

It Will Be Pro Tuned
Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

the spray bar will easilly flow 150+hp...but as before with any dry kit you need to have it tuned for best performance
Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Halo with the HSW Interface would be one hell of a set-up, and would make tuning a breeze.
Robert
Old 01-19-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

the Question Is Will The Sensors Pick Up The N20 When Using The Halo Or Does Its Atominization Of The N20 Not Allow For This Type Of Tuneing?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I Know I Can Do It With The Hsw Interface But Im Tring To Avoid More **** In My Engine Bay Than I Need.. If I Dont Need To Fool My Sensors Then I Dont Want To.........

Also With The Hsw Interface I Wonder What Happens If You Spray Pre Maf And Still Use It As I Think The Hsw Just Multpulies The Original Maf Signal So Wouldent This Mean There Would Still Be Some Error ** As In With The Hsw Unit Wouldent You Want To Spray Post Maf\iat So You Dont "doubble Read" For The N20
Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
the Question Is Will The Sensors Pick Up The N20 When Using The Halo Or Does Its Atominization Of The N20 Not Allow For This Type Of Tuneing?
Yes the sensor wires will pick up the nitrous, though like the nozzles the results can vary. Meaning your a/f you end up with can be across the board. Why, because air dynamics are different per every car and the reading can be good, or bad. Atomization is a fuel only thing, distribution is the Halo's claim to fame, but this distribution can be it's down fall also, by allowing too much nitrous to get by the wires and no way to externally adjust. where as, a nozzle you can aim the stream of N2O right at the MAF wires for a full reading. Regardless, this is where the HSW Interface comes into play for both styles.
I Know I Can Do It With The Hsw Interface But Im Tring To Avoid More **** In My Engine Bay Than I Need.. If I Dont Need To Fool My Sensors Then I Dont Want To.........
The only way to know is to get an WB a/f reading, which can change with size of hit on the Halo due to the above air dynamics. Different amounts of n2o will flow through intake tract differently.

Also With The Hsw Interface I Wonder What Happens If You Spray Pre Maf And Still Use It As I Think The Hsw Just Multpulies The Original Maf Signal So Wouldent This Mean There Would Still Be Some Error ** As In With The Hsw Unit Wouldent You Want To Spray Post Maf\iat So You Dont "doubble Read" For The N20
Correct, you can spray a dry hit pre or post MAF with the Interface. Either way when activated (armed and hitting set rpm) it will tell PCM through the MAF that there is a more cold/dense reading and thus the cylinder Airmass (g/Cyl) increase and the resulting higher duty cycle and more fuel. Then you set your desired HP with some dip switches and check your a/f, as per any system/kit, then you can fine tune a/f to exactly what you want to target (adding or subtracting fuel). In the Interface thread there is more of a explanation. Also, don't forget the Interface can also pull the timing needed.

Hope this helps some. Bottom line, you may or may not get your exact targeted a/f stright out of the box without the Interface. However, your unlikely to pin point your sought a/f but could be in the safe region.
Robert
Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

U Know I May Just Pull The Halo And Put A Nozzle Post Maf And Just Use The Hsw Interface To Do My Tuneing....

My Next Thought Was To Drill A Hole Where The Egr Is Suppose To Go And Just Stick Some Sort Of Fogger Nozzle There To Spray The N20 Straight Into The Manifold
Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can do the exact same thing with your Halo, and you already have it, tune it with the Interface.
Robert
Old 01-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

The sensor will pick up the nitrous using the Halo.

-Chris
Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
The sensor will pick up the nitrous using the Halo.

-Chris
SO I DONT NEED ANY SORT OF TIMEING TRICKER OR MAF FOOLING DEVICE TO PROPERLY FUEL WITH THE HALO?

IE: JUST TUNE THE CAR FOR THE AREAS IN THE MAF AND IAT TABLES THAT THE N20 CAUSES THE SENSORS TO READ AND THATS IT?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

You shouldn't need any kind of MAF tricking device to run the Halo, but depending on how much you much want to spray with the mods that you have you might need to adjust the timing ( thats if you current timing is advanced at all ).

-Chris
Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

With My Current Setup I See 28-30 Deg @ Wot.. I Was Planning On Using The Lower Region Of The Iat Table To Retard Timeing
Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

It Never Gets Below 30 Here
Old 01-21-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

SO I DONT NEED ANY SORT OF TIMEING TRICKER OR MAF FOOLING DEVICE TO PROPERLY FUEL WITH THE HALO?

IE: JUST TUNE THE CAR FOR THE AREAS IN THE MAF AND IAT TABLES THAT THE N20 CAUSES THE SENSORS TO READ AND THATS IT?
Your not understanding I guess. You WILL not know if you need additional tuning IE: adjusting the a/f (you call it tricking the MAF, lol, what do you think the shot of spray is doing to the MAF). Some have acceptable a/f ratios out of the box, and some don't. Also, without tuning in the PCM or using the Interface you will be stuck with what ever you start with, good or bad. This is not knocking the Halo in any way shape or form, just the way it is. Nozzles are like this also, but they can be moved closer or farther from MAF to adjust the a/f, with out an Interface or PCM tuning, whereas, the Halo is in a fixed position.

Robert
Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

NO, I COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR SAYING... THE MAF IS READING THE COLDNESS OF THE N20 JUST LIKE COLDER AIR SO ITS NOT ACTUALLY "TRICKING" THE MAF... WHERE AS THE HSW UNIT PLUGS INTO THE MAF HARNESS AND INTERCEPTS THE SIGNAL MUCH IN THE SAME FASHON A DIESEL POWER CHIP INTERCEPTS THE INJECTOR PULSE WIDTH AND JUST ELONGATES IT.. I DONT REALLY LIKE THESE DEVICES BECAUSE ITS JUST MORE **** IN YOUR ENGINE BAY.. SIMPLY PUT IF I CAN DO WITHOUT IT I WOULD CERTAINLY LIKE TO.. ITS NOT THAT ITS A BAD PRODUCT BUT IT WOULD BE JUST MORE TO GO WRONG (PROVIDED I CAN ACHIEVE THE SAME RESULTS WITH TUNEING ALONE)

FURTHERMORE THE REASON I BOUGHT THE HALO WAS THAT IT APPEARED TO BE A SAFER ALTERNATIVE AS I THINK RELYING ON NOZZLE PLACEMNT IS KINDA RISKY.... IF IT TURNS OUT THAT BECAUSE OF THE HALO'S DESGIN I NEED A PIGGYBACK UNIT... THEN I MIGHT AS WELL JUST DITCH HE HALO AND MAKE TUNEING SIMIPLER BY SPRAYING POST MAF/IAT...

***THIS LOGIC IS THE REASON FOR MY QUESTIONS****

Originally Posted by Robert56
Your not understanding I guess. You WILL not know if you need additional tuning IE: adjusting the a/f (you call it tricking the MAF, lol, what do you think the shot of spray is doing to the MAF). Some have acceptable a/f ratios out of the box, and some don't. Also, without tuning in the PCM or using the Interface you will be stuck with what ever you start with, good or bad. This is not knocking the Halo in any way shape or form, just the way it is. Nozzles are like this also, but they can be moved closer or farther from MAF to adjust the a/f, with out an Interface or PCM tuning, whereas, the Halo is in a fixed position.

Robert
Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Btw: Thats Not "yelling" (its Just Caps Lock).. I Appriciate Everyones Replies
Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

Out of all the Halo ring systems that we have sold and the ones that i've seen installed we have never used any sort of piggyback unit or anything on the cars. We have done all the tuning via the Computer by LS1 Edit. I'm shooting you a PM wiht some helpfull info.

-Chris
Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Robert56

Robert
I agree with you robert, I have heard this term "tricking" the MAF used a lot lately, i dont know what is up with that. The interface recalibrates just as HP tuners does. Since when did adjusting injector pulse becoming "tricking"...I think we'll make the interface have a speaker that says, HA HA GOT YA, you silly little mass air flow!!! Lets at least be consistent here, if the interface, is a "Tricker" then so is every Tuning software package, Timing tuner, Pre Maf Dry shot, progressive controller and adjustments of nozzle placement. EVERY one of these things results in an artificial change

All its designed to do is assist with tuning and allows you to have two separate tunes. It will even shut off your system in the event that anything wrong is detected. Everyone used to fear dry kits because they were difficult to tune, this changed things. Every aspect about these engines is controlled via computer, so why fear technology? if everyone is so scared why not just trade in your car for a 72 chevelle and tune with a screw driver and a timing gun.

Quick Reply: Does The Halo Work For 150 Dry Shots