Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with 408s and spray please come in...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guys with 408s and spray please come in...

I'm going to start with a 100 shot and work my way up to a 200 shot but I was curious what fuel setups are most of you running? I have a hotwire kit and a in tank 255 Walbro right now.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ORANGEWS6
I'm going to start with a 100 shot and work my way up to a 200 shot but I was curious what fuel setups are most of you running? I have a hotwire kit and a in tank 255 Walbro right now.

Dry/wet? You might be pushing it with just the 255 and hotwire. I think you'll be fine on the 100, but 200, not so much.

I'm running Nasty's stage 3 street kit, pricey but worth it. IMO you don't wanna skimp out on the fuel. I'm sure others will chime in and give their opinions.

Give Lonnie a call at LPA(he's a sponsor) and talk to him and see what he says. Awesome guy to deal with!!!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

42lb injectors
2 walbro 255's
aeromotive fuel rails
aeromotive fpr

standalone 3 gallon in toolbox
holley blue pump and reg
6 an feed line and filter
2 stages- dp- 150, single nozzle 100
Old 04-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

I've got 2 walbro 255's on my and it keeps up well.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

just get a standalone and rest easy
Old 04-27-2008, 01:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

running a standalone on mine when its finished.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

In my personal web site are two fuel system write ups, and covers all angles. Picture how-tos and sizing fuel pump for hp goals, mucho info there on our fuel systems, y-bods and f-bods. Just google roberts nitrous.
robert
Old 04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on using my F1 TNT kit but I have upgraded the solenoids to handle a bigger shot and to be able to work with my FJO controller. I have be curious about stand alone fuel systems but I was wonder who makes a decent stand alone. I wanted to be able to afford to drive my car around on pump gas.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

HSW and NO both make stand alones.
Robert
Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert56
HSW and NO both make stand alones.
Robert
The HSW LS1 looks pretty good but how many shots will it take before a refill being a .875 gallon tank?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:04 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HSW LS1 looks pretty good but how many shots will it take before a refill being a .875 gallon tank?
That's about 6lbs of fuel. Even at 10:1 AFR, you'd be able to run 60lbs of air through it. Since nitrous has more oxygen than air, you'd need to run a little less nitrous than air to equal out. So, I'd say around 8-10 bottles through it for 1 tank of fuel.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
That's about 6lbs of fuel. Even at 10:1 AFR, you'd be able to run 60lbs of air through it. Since nitrous has more oxygen than air, you'd need to run a little less nitrous than air to equal out. So, I'd say around 8-10 bottles through it for 1 tank of fuel.

That's cool that's probably the one I'll go with then it looks like it will be a little easier than I thought to setup the fuel for the 408 and 200 shot.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

ya that is def the way to go. i just made a 1.3 gallon tank for my car and am ordering 5 gallons of vp that should last me a good while.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
ya that is def the way to go. i just made a 1.3 gallon tank for my car and am ordering 5 gallons of vp that should last me a good while.
Yeah, 5 gallons will last you a long time with a standalone/dedicated sytem.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

I was running a 200 on a stock block LS1, you could start out at that and bump it up to 250 maybe 300 if you have the fuel and tune dialed it. as for the fuel get a bosch 044 and run -8 out of the tank to the pump, then -10 to your rails and a nice fpr and -6 return. get 62 or 72# injectors that way you never have to worry about fuel. you can run your nitrous off the line also and not have to worry about it. plenty of fuel!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chiet_SS
I was running a 200 on a stock block LS1, you could start out at that and bump it up to 250 maybe 300 if you have the fuel and tune dialed it. as for the fuel get a bosch 044 and run -8 out of the tank to the pump, then -10 to your rails and a nice fpr and -6 return. get 62 or 72# injectors that way you never have to worry about fuel. you can run your nitrous off the line also and not have to worry about it. plenty of fuel!
Very good, I thought myself and theblur were the only ones doing this, lol (upgrading fuel system rather than standalone). For me, the standalone wasn't a good option, I didn't want the added weight up front with my iron block weight, and also cost was cheaper for me to use a Bosch in-line, mine isn't the 044 but close. Also, no watered down fuel mix for me, just some race fuel added to a low tank on way the the strip. Anyway, in my tuning web site is a couple how to fuel system upgrade write ups for those reading along that may want a different option than a stand alone. I am not putting a stand alone down at all, they have there place. But for some a simple pump upgrade is a little better option because n/a power with the 408 can certainly reach past 500rwhp n/a and that's about the limit (450/500) for a stock pump.
Robert
Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very good, I thought myself and theblur were the only ones doing this, lol (upgrading fuel system rather than standalone). For me, the standalone wasn't a good option, I didn't want the added weight up front with my iron block weight, and also cost was cheaper for me to use a Bosch in-line, mine isn't the 044 but close. Also, no watered down fuel mix for me, just some race fuel added to a low tank on way the the strip. Anyway, in my tuning web site is a couple how to fuel system upgrade write ups for those reading along that may want a different option than a stand alone. I am not putting a stand alone down at all, they have there place. But for some a simple pump upgrade is a little better option because n/a power with the 408 can certainly reach past 500rwhp n/a and that's about the limit (450/500) for a stock pump.
Robert
How would you get watered down fuel? I can understand the extra weight as I am looking to try to cut down on the wieght of my car I battled back and forth about going with an iron block. I want to save as much money as I can on this build so I'm open to some good ideas.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

How would you get watered down fuel? I can understand the extra weight as I am looking to try to cut down on the wieght of my car I battled back and forth about going with an iron block. I want to save as much money as I can on this build so I'm open to some good ideas.
The ratio of race gas to what ever is in the tank is not very good. Such a very, small amount of the fuel comes from the stand alone, so what some think is great gas is really a watered down mix and they are lucky to be getting 96 octane. Where as, when you know you are low on fuel, I know exactly when I have 50 miles left (Vette has a warning) so I can have a pretty strong mix depending on how many gallons of race gas I add. This is something many over look. The race cars that are running stand alones are also running race fuel in their main tanks, in general terms. It's really up to you and if you feel comfortable at your sprayed HP level. Not for me, but I have never blindly followed the pack, lol. But again, I have nothing against running a stand alone and many do it this way.
Robert
Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

I'm running a standalone based on advice from Speed INC and EPP.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
9 Second Club

The ratio of race gas to what ever is in the tank is not very good. Such a very, small amount of the fuel comes from the stand alone, so what some think is great gas is really a watered down mix and they are lucky to be getting 96 octane. Where as, when you know you are low on fuel, I know exactly when I have 50 miles left (Vette has a warning) so I can have a pretty strong mix depending on how many gallons of race gas I add. This is something many over look. The race cars that are running stand alones are also running race fuel in their main tanks, in general terms. It's really up to you and if you feel comfortable at your sprayed HP level. Not for me, but I have never blindly followed the pack, lol. But again, I have nothing against running a stand alone and many do it this way.
Robert
i like the thought behind that. i myself still like the idea of a standalone though. some 114 in the tank and its $10. where as id have to put 5 or so gallons of 104 in my tank and it will never be the same mixture twice. $50. just seems to me in basic dummy thinking ill get a more consistant mixture with a standalone. although im not putting down your way as i like the simplicity of it

oh ya and i hate pulling from the rail. just seems like it would want to drain one side too rapidly on a decent sized shot.