Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any sponsors working with E-85?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any sponsors working with E-85?

Was wondering if anyone has been working with E-85 in their dedicated cells? If so, how are the solenoids holding up? Are the HP #'s/AFR/required fuel pressure comparable? We don't have E-85 up here, but I'm not living here forever.

What confuses the hell out of me with this stuff is that E-85 is stoich at like 9.XX . So you would need to run alot more rich, but with an octane level of 105 it seems like you would jet down a hair. Someone help me understand.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to use more E-85 as Ethanol contains less BTU's than gasoline so you have to effectively burn more of it to keep the AFR the same.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

at the same time the thermal energy of Ethanol exceeds that of gasoline which is why you typically see power gains using it. Same reason why nitromethane is the most powerful fuel available. its thermal energy is 2.5 times that of gasoline.

We arent working with E-85 and i doubt anyone is. there isnt much benefit to using it over methanol. Methonal has more thermal energy and higher octane leves. stoich for methanol is around 6.0:1 so you have to inject more then two times as much then gasoline. Now that is with an engine running straight methanol and no fuel. With what you are talking about, things change since you are injecting both gasoline, nitrous and methanol. You are obviously not shooting for 12.8, 11.6 nor 6.0. You wouldnt jet down with E-85 or methanol, octane is a messure of ignition resistance and doesnt place a roll in how much you have to inject.

Cant get into the specifics of it, but to answer your question. Horsepower will increase from simply using it over gasoline. Your target A/F is richer then if you were using gasoline. PSI and jet sizes are all relative in calculating the amount you need to flow vs that of gasoline.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

oh and you can order methanol online though VP fuels or world wide racing fuels. but it wouldnt be a good idea to just pour it into the dedicated system you already have.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Long boring nights at work get me pondering some off the wall stuff sometimes.

So Mike, what kind of changes would have to be made to run methanol in the cell? Nevermind, I'll just search before I get yelled at

And I don't have a cell.........yet
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Launching!

What about E98 I know many of the Big Turbo guys have switched to E98 since it is non corrosive, fairly cheap, instant boost IE no turbo lag and can hold big boost some are running 70lbs with NO intercooler.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I prefer good old C-16 race fuel over E-85 or methonal.
Dave