Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Nitrous, little help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to Nitrous, little help..

Hey planning on running a forged ls1 with a 231/237 112 comp and 5.3 heads....i would like to run a 2stage 200 shot, what do i need? is this a bad idea???Got good ideas from my friends, just wondering what ya'll think!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plenty of fuel, dual stage window switch, kit, plugs, and good gas.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

lol, left out a good bit of information....

Forged LS1? Stock cube? 6.0 based? Stroker? What CI?

You also said 5.3 heads, many times they're shaved for higher compression. What compression ratio are you expecting?

The cam isn't radically different from my old cam, should work just fine, especially in a street car that won't be spraying 24/7.

What fuel system do you have? With a nice, built motor, a simple 255 in tank with a hotwire kit very well may not support a 200 shot off the rail. You might want to check into a dedicated fuel system, I know Harris Speed Works offers a nice, under hood setup.

If you spray a 100-150, go with NGK TR6 plugs, gapped to .035....If you go with more, on a built motor with added compression, I'd advise TR7's at .032.

How do you intend on running the stages? 2 nozzles? nozzle and a plate? are you gonna run a carb style intake (I.E. vic Jr.) with a carb plate? Full out direct port?

If you just want to run a 200, and you're scared of that hard initial hit, you may have better luck going with one of the nice throttle body plate kits many of our NO2 sponsors have to offer, and going with a progressive controller. This way you could run a single 200 hit, but it will grow progressively stronger over the course of the pass, allowing you to get hooked before you shock it will all 200.

As krazy said, a window switch would be a good idea. Would allow you to set a low and high rpm for spraying. You don't want to spray too low (often accepted value is 3000 RPM's) and the upper end will be up to you...just make sure to give yourself time to shift, so you don't take chances at hitting the rev lmiter on the kit.

The gas thing will be all in the tune....you could probably get a couple more HP, and definitely be more safe with 100+ octane for the kit. honestly though, a good tuner could do it on 93.

And about a tune....YOU WILL NEED TO GET IT TUNED. Trying to get around a tune will bite you in the ***. There is a reason shops charge what they do for a tune, and you get what you pay for....$500 for the added security of knowing you're not gonna blow your car up....worth it to me

-Will
Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

let me find out how im going to build the motor and ill repost
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM

not to take over or anything but i have a set of sealed power pistons summit PN TRW-8KH860CP30 that are in my 383 LT1 and i planned on using N2O and was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if i need to look for something else or if they should be fine?