Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crackle sound when using nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crackle sound when using nitrous (Pics Added pg: 1,2)

Hi all,

Well i just hooked up my nitrous last week and tried it out yesterday. I noticed a crackle sound (alomst like an arking sound) that sounds like its coming from the bottle area when on the nitrous. Is this normal?. I had the bottle up to around 980psi on my NX kit.

This worried me since i thought it might be detination/ping from the engine, but i checked the plugs and they seem fine. Im only running a 35 shot :p since this is my first run with nitrous and for testing. Timing is normal but i went with a one step colder plug. Also when i was on the nitrous it was super hot outside so maybe its just the sound of a super hot motor being forced super cold nitrous?

Last edited by lak8; 07-09-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

also im not using a fpss and have the dynotune window switch/wot switch for activation
Old 07-07-2008, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

ok try to clear this up for us.
you said you heard crackling sounds from the bottle area then said you thought it might be detonation from the motor which i am sure is nowhere near the bottle so why would you think that or did you also hear noises coming from the engine
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

When i heard it... it sure seemed like it may of been coming from the bottle, altho i could be wrong and now that i think of it its was probably coming from the engine bay. I didn't want to try it anymore just incase im detonating.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was the airfuel on the pass? Really not enough info to know what to say on this. Also need to know forsure if uts noice from the motor?
Dave
Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Throw new plugs in it, get back on the juice, kill the car as you let off. Take the plug out, cut the threads off, post a pic of it here and I will tell you if i is detonating.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Nothing is really done to the motor besides the basic bolt-ons. The ecu is stock so a/f is same i would think. Im now thinking the sound was proabably from the engine since i can't imagen it coming from the bottle now. Tommorow i think ill do some more testing/another nitrous run and be forsure this time. Heres hoping she don't blow.

I just threw in new plugs which were one step colder plugs the day i first tried using the gas. Maybe ill cut the threads off one and post some pictures. (would be after work tommorow since its 11pm now)
Old 07-08-2008, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lak8
Nothing is really done to the motor besides the basic bolt-ons. The ecu is stock so a/f is same i would think. Im now thinking the sound was proabably from the engine since i can't imagen it coming from the bottle now. Tommorow i think ill do some more testing/another nitrous run and be forsure this time. Heres hoping she don't blow.

I just threw in new plugs which were one step colder plugs the day i first tried using the gas. Maybe ill cut the threads off one and post some pictures. (would be after work tommorow since its 11pm now)

Make sure you are WOT then shut the motor down. Thats the most accurate way. Plug chops do not lie with whats going on in your motor.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by lak8

The jetting that comes with the system is nothing more than a starting point. Do not assume that the suggested jetting is accurate. There is a 50/50 chance you are lean. Either put a wide band on it or read the plugs.. If you are reading the plugs put a fresh set in there and do a wide open blip and shut it off instantly. Just do a short blast.

If it were me and the possibilty was that it was lean I would richen it up by going to a larger fuel jet and then start trying to read the plugs. That way if it is way lean you do not hurt the motor finding a good starting point.
Dave
Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
The jetting that comes with the system is nothing more than a starting point. Do not assume that the suggested jetting is accurate. There is a 50/50 chance you are lean. Either put a wide band on it or read the plugs.. If you are reading the plugs put a fresh set in there and do a wide open blip and shut it off instantly. Just do a short blast.

If it were me and the possibilty was that it was lean I would richen it up by going to a larger fuel jet and then start trying to read the plugs. That way if it is way lean you do not hurt the motor finding a good starting point.
Dave
This is also very good advice with the "go richer" tip. Remember too rich can hurt your motor just as bad as being too lean. The only tune is the right tune. Just a matter of finding the safest way to get there.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 508Stroker
This is also very good advice with the "go richer" tip. Remember too rich can hurt your motor just as bad as being too lean. The only tune is the right tune. Just a matter of finding the safest way to get there.
True, but you would have to be WAYYYY richer to hurt the engine.
Going up one jet size won't do that.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so i went out and bought new plugs.

-Installed them
-Drive to an open road (about 20sec of driving without nitrous)
-Got on the nitrous for about 4seconds (again more of the same sound, crackle, ting ting)
-Turn off engine right after nitrous use and removed plugs.
-Took pictures

Here are the pictures of the new plugs:

Picture of the old plugs that ive been daily driving on for about 5,000miles without nitrous at all.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

I also forgot to mention. but i put on the bottle heater before hand and got the psi to around 980 when testing.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plug on the left looks to have a "spec" on it. This could be a sign of detonation. The straps look like they were really hot(blueing discoloration).
Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

It does look like it got quite hot as well. Which would indicate being lean.... I dont think there is any detonation since there isnt any real specs on the porcelain. I think next i will try to up the fuel jet on my NX wet kit and see what that does.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might ought to get it on a dyno to check A/F ratio when on the spray.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

cut them threads off man!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

I guess next you can try flowing the noids and see if you still hear the noise. I don't really see much detonation from this computer screen. If you cut the threads off you can see the "line" at the bottom of the plug. Thats what I usually tune my ars off of. I'll pm you a link with some good plug info.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Just wanted to say thanks for help guys and ill cut off threads tommorow and post some pics
Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 PM
FormerVendor

Wow.. Those plugs are showing signs of running lean. First check the fuel solenoid and make sure it is flowing fuel

Quick Reply: crackle sound when using nitrous