Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Propane and Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Propane and Nitrous?

we need more guys experimenting with it.
ive been reaserching it a little and it seems like it give good gains for people who tried it.

I hope to get a propane injection kit for my turbo soon. and might do a propane and nitrous shot later.
the page you listed wasa good one, it tells the jet sizes the guy was using and the results.
i wish more nitrous companys would research propane.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in if we can get a GP going...Otherwise I'll build my own.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:56 PM
Restricted User

Lets see, a nitrous/propane Direct Port.....Al, what are your thoughts on this, if any???

Finguring out the jet size might be a pain.'

How much do you think the pressure will effect the output? Like now with a wet kit, the fuel is a constant pressure (same as fuel system) but the Nitrous loses pressure (unless you have a push system or a heater) when your running, therefore making your AFR a little richer as you head for the top end. Now, the propane may do the same would it not?
Old 09-01-2003, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

One propane tank will last about 10 bottles of nitrous, depending on the shot size. So you don't have to worry about propane pressure drop for quite awhile.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:34 AM
Restricted User

Kool.. Yep. I am in for getting this into sponsorship and then a nice GP as well. Or just the GP is kool too.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

CAT3 I dont know anything beyond what we have discussed here. I will just be working through the specifics when I do it. It will likely be a few months. I still need to hook up the power I have now.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Restricted User

Oh boy. I was thinking of building my own DP, and then seen this. So naturally am interested in using propane as the fuel..dont see why it wouldnt work, just a little more test and tune. Might have to break new ground here if I can t find anyone with info on it already.

Charlie.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is another link for a kit I looked at before. Its geared toward the forced induction crowd. http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/home.php?cat=34
Old 09-02-2003, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

for the subject on direct port propane.
It really isnt nesecary. the reason you use dp is to distrubute fuel and nitrous with out puddleing and equally. since propane is a gas, there is no chance of puddling so the standard throttle body injection will do.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

as soon as my cable modem is back up at home, i will put some links up that i found on this. the viper shop i found will sell the kit to add propane to any kit, but the only jets they have used are NOS jets. so you would have to try different jettings to get a good a/f ratio.

Old 09-02-2003, 09:57 AM
Teching In

If you go to LS1.com and search the nitrous section for propane there are a few threads dealing with it. You can probably get alot of info there. Then if you have any questions let me know and I'll see if I can't answer them.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Also, propane is widely used on big yachts and other large boats. I know, cause thats what I do during the daytime. If you shop around at the marine supply stores, they sell the remote bottle openers for propane bottles. The usually run in the $45-$60 range. They are used to shut the propane systems down on boats, when they are not in use or in an emergency situations. Just make sure you get a 12V model, cause boats will run either 12V or 24V.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Does anyone know if you can use the gas noid in a wet kit for Propane?

Justin
Old 09-03-2003, 01:00 AM
Restricted User

Justin, not fully qualified, but i would say yes.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

The guy who was running it was using the gas noid for the propane, he said the n2o noid didnt work as well as the gas one did.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Sweet-I agree we need more guys experimenting with this setup.Let us know how it turns out!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Teching In

The NOS cheater fuel solenoid will work for propane. It will handle up to 400psi.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Restricted User

Looks like I found another project to start workign on, maybe get some reults before Halloween, after my vacation.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

for the subject on direct port propane.
It really isnt nesecary. the reason you use dp is to distrubute fuel and nitrous with out puddleing and equally. since propane is a gas, there is no chance of puddling so the standard throttle body injection will do.
I am working on a direct port system as we speak. I agree with you on the no puddleing but we all know that the ls1 intake does a bad job of diftrubuting air equally. When you start sparing 200+ shot that is hard on the engine. This is the reason for a direct port system.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

and not only that, you could run a bigger shot than your fuel system can support since the fuel is coming from the propane bottle. and we cant forget the higher octane rating.
i agree that propane being a gas will help with distribution but nitrous is a gas when flowing through your intake but how come the front cylinders still get more nitrous than the ones in back? propane should be safe than gasoline on a large wet shot but it is certainly no replacement for direct port injection and there are still pluses in a direct port application.
annother thing to consider is that since you have to jet richer on the fuel side when using propane there willl be less room in the cylinder for air/nitrous. now, im not sure about this but.. since the propane is being compressed just like the nitrous is, it should be very cold when released and since colder air(or gas)is denser it may take more time to get the jetting right because your jet size may let a certain amount of propane through just like fuel but the propane should be much colder and therefore denser which would mean your actually letting more propane into the cylinder and running richer.
i was playing around with the idea of propane for a while but i just ordered my NXL today and since the only thing i would need fuelwise to run it is a bigger pump i dont think i'm going to be experimenting with propane untill octane becomes the limiting factor in my setup.

Quick Reply: Propane and Nitrous?