Notices
Non-Automotive Classifieds Sell almost anything here, with the exception of firearms and ammo

Unique handgun or liquor storage: Solid Oak Last Rites box from 1897

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Unique handgun or liquor storage: Solid Oak Last Rites box from 1897

I don't want to peddle all my junk on here, but have seen some gun talk on here so figured somebody might be interested.

Something different. The Last Rites kit isn't included, just the box. Solid .5" thick oak, brass hinges and what I'd bet is gold-plated detailing on the top. Purple silk-like fabric inside, pretty good condition for it's age though it has a 1-2" tear in one corner. Also has small wax stains on the inside, so it was used. This would have traditionally been used to perform Last Rites to people, but also Anointing of the Sick and Exorcisms. I can't imagine Exorcisms were terribly common though.

11.5" x 10.5" x 4.5" Outer dimensions

$50. Badass to keep your gun in a real Last Rites box, or just a nice box for some good scotch.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im kinda lost on it, Is it actually from the late 1800s? An is there proof of it? Im very interested in it, It would be great on my nightstand with my pistol, text me if you can 615-848-8799
Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
Im kinda lost on it, Is it actually from the late 1800s? An is there proof of it? Im very interested in it, It would be great on my nightstand with my pistol, text me if you can 615-848-8799
Yes, these were mass produced only in 1897 by a company called Homan. If you check Worthpoint you'll see this box with the same design in a bunch of old auctions. This box came with an incomplete set which carried all the things a priest would have needed. I'm keeping the eucharist plates and holy water ladle that have the '97 stamps, but I can send you a picture of the date stamp. The candelabra base MIGHT have the stamp, I don't recall but if it does you can have it. I got it from an estate buyer/antique auctioneer who had purchased a large lot from the local Catholic diocese which is "trimming the fat" and closing a lot of parishes. Generally this type of set would have been available for the parishioners to buy as well.

Just a note, in doing more research some people are saying the wood is walnut, some are saying oak. I'm no expert, but it's definitely a hardwood and is solid. Either way it's pretty tough to find one with wood in this good condition.

Do a search on Worthpoint for "Last Rites 1897" and you'll see the same box:
http://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/...897+last+rites

Quick Reply: Unique handgun or liquor storage: Solid Oak Last Rites box from 1897