Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

At Least there was NO FIRE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At Least there was NO FIRE!

As seen on Drag Racing Online.

"Ray kept his foot in it, stopping the clocks at 5.18 and as he crossed the finish the boat made a hard right, crashing violently and destroying the beautiful yellow and red fueler. Ray was air lifted to the hospital with serious, but non life-threatening injuries, which is a tribute to IHBA safety rules and their rescue team."

(Mark Rebilas photos)

Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

As Eddie Hill once said " I am going back to Top Fuel dragsters becuase it is safer" he was reffering to drag boats.....
Old 12-05-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a serious Depends moment right there. Glad to hear he will live to tell the tale. Those boats are crazy.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Teching In

as an amatuer photographer....my gosh those are awesome frames!

as a lover of speed...good gawd!

i'm thankful his injuries are not life threatening...only wallet threatening!

whoa!

m
Old 12-06-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MMC1
as an amatuer photographer....my gosh those are awesome frames!

as a lover of speed...good gawd!

i'm thankful his injuries are not life threatening...only wallet threatening!

whoa!

m
You know that was a serious camera and a true pro that got those.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:06 AM
10 Second Club

The frame where the boat's top comes back around & the cockpit has been ripped off says it all....F ME!!!

But from the title I thought you were welding on the Duece again Don.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Mark, I was expecting to soo something with Ellis in it...LOL

Amazing pictures, glad he's ok. Those boats have come a long way with safety.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of the guys I work with has a brother that raced those for a while back in the 70s. He lost several friends and quit after a serious accident. Back then (before the fighter cockpits) if you did it long enough it would kill you.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:39 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those capsules have really improved the safety of the sport. They're designed to pop off just like it did in those photos and stay afloat, and if they do sink, there's a marker buoy that pops up to make it easy to find them. They even have an oxygen supply in there. I've seen them in person before, and they are awesome to watch! When I saw them it was over in Pittsburgh. Pretty sweet! Here's a bunch of pictures of that boat and of other boats from that day. http://markjrebilas.com/blog/2008/11...oks/#more-1642 There's actually a bunch of smaller drag boat leagues, mostly back east. I was talking to a guy on the phone the other day about them and he says it's even more addicting than racing cars. When I move back east, I'm gonna try it and see what it's all about. I know they also do brackets. Sure looks like fun. I figure by that time my boat oughta be in the 90mph range once I get the 150 off and put a 225 on it. Can't wait to try it.

Brian
Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
Those capsules have really improved the safety of the sport. They're designed to pop off just like it did in those photos and stay afloat, and if they do sink, there's a marker buoy that pops up to make it easy to find them. They even have an oxygen supply in there. I've seen them in person before, and they are awesome to watch! When I saw them it was over in Pittsburgh. Pretty sweet! Here's a bunch of pictures of that boat and of other boats from that day. http://markjrebilas.com/blog/2008/11...oks/#more-1642 There's actually a bunch of smaller drag boat leagues, mostly back east. I was talking to a guy on the phone the other day about them and he says it's even more addicting than racing cars. When I move back east, I'm gonna try it and see what it's all about. I know they also do brackets. Sure looks like fun. I figure by that time my boat oughta be in the 90mph range once I get the 150 off and put a 225 on it. Can't wait to try it.

Brian
Have you ever been to Cresent Bar in Eastern Washington. In the summer its street racing on the water every weekend and ther is some bad *** boats over there.

Quick Reply: At Least there was NO FIRE!