Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Looking into moving to Boise, any advice or thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into moving to Boise, any advice or thoughts?

So my wife and I are tired of Tucson and Phoenix, we lived in Oregon for awhile but we would like to avoid all the rain if possible (Not really fun in an F-Body).

We have some friends there and some possible lines on jobs but were def. open to any others who may know of something.

We have a place secured around Boise already with friends.

We have a lot of questions, most of which I am finding answers to online so far but I welcome further input.

1) Whats the school systems like there, my son will be starting Kindergarten soon so we will be getting ready for that.

2) How are the police and civilians about Muscle Car owners? Here they really don't bother us too much. They are polite as long as we are but most drivers here are *** holes. I am not some speed demon, I just do not want to be harassed because my car is not stock and sounds like an F-Body should.
2a) Hows emissions there? Can I pass with just a cat through the sniffer or is it harder there?
2b) What are the car clubs like there? I am not finding many online so is there a shortage of them or?
2c) What the track like, good event's nice setup?

3) We have looked at housing it seems pretty reasonable, but any input is welcome. How are houses selling there?

4) Whats the unemployment like there? According to numbers its a little lower than here but I assume jobs are still not as easy to find as they were before this decline.
My wife has had a really hard time here in her field as have I, I have taken jobs in other fields just to keep me going.
--My wife is a Vet Tech, she has been doing it for over 7 years. She also has front office and sales experience.
--I am in IT Support basically, did it for the Military and then the civilian sector, networking and hardware support etc. I also have been a Surgical Sterilization Tech as well as sales you name it I did what I have had too. (Here in Tucson I have been looking for a full time Tech spot for over a year, it took me 2 weeks in Oregon to have 4 solid offers coming in. Sometimes I wish I had stayed.)

5) Now for easy stuff like weather, people, crime, etc. Again i ahve found a lot of information online but thoughts from those there is great.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Cross; 07-16-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:27 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill post when I get home, boise is a very nice place to live in a nut shell.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I look forward to hearing more when you get home.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:59 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) School systems have worked well for me, I have lived here all my life and gone through the ropes. There are two districts in the treasure valley, Boise and Meridian. Meridian is what I did, they have a ton of schools and they are all very nice and in safe areas.

2) Cops around here are fine unless your being an *** and blasting down roads, I had my LT1 camaro with open headers for almost a year and never had an issue. My h/c vette is loud too and it seems to be ok.

2a) emissions, couldnt be any easier to pass. We have a visual and sniffer, I passed with a gutted cat and dumps.

2b) Car clubs? not many, there is valley corvettes but thats a bunch of old guys who dont like fast cars.

2c) www.firebirdonline.com its a nice place imo and they have good prep the majority of the nights.

3) Housing is incredibly reasonable right now, if I had 20% id be buying. There are a ton of nice areas depending on your budget, If you would like me to sho you around I would be glad too.

4) Unemployment is up, I know its hard to find a job here but I am not sure about your Fields. Good luck though.

5) Weather: Extremely nice, somewhat bipolar sometimes though. People: friendly, ive never had issues. Crime: nothing to worry about.

Anything else just ask!

Like I said ive been in boise 21 years now and I don't think ill ever leave. Its got all the comforts you need for your family.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i was born in boise in 1984 and my family moved to New Mexico till 1996 then we came back here to be closer to family..... schools aren't bad..... cops are dicks....but i have a speed demon record.....jobs are very far and few between for everybody now i've been unemployed for almost a year now.....but i don't have the kind of exp. you do.... houses are very cheap right now cuz nobody is buying.... and emissions are so easy to pass... i used to work as a emissions tech for about 3 years and anything OBD 2 is just a scan test(as long as you don't have a SES light on you will be fine) and the weather isn't bad.... it got to 105 yesterday and winter gets as low as 30 as a typical winter high..... it's a good place to raise a family but i've lived in a big city and really miss it...

Quick Reply: Looking into moving to Boise, any advice or thoughts?