Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Moving to SD!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moving to SD!

I'm active duty military and just got orders to Ellsworth AFB. I'm excited after reading about it and everything it has to offer. Anyone know if there are tracks around there or how the car scene is in Rapid City?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do have a NHRA track there but I have never been to it. I was there for Xmas and it was very cold with about a 12" of snow. The Black Hills are nice to drive around and there's always Sturgis in August that a blast. I think there's a car scene around it's a big town but I don't know anybody in it. Good luck with the transfer you'll have fun there.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

The car scene isn't bad. Not sure where you're from, but its a bit different out this way. I liked Rapid City. Lot of people complain about it, but there is always worse. Trust me...
Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96
The car scene isn't bad. Not sure where you're from, but its a bit different out this way. I liked Rapid City. Lot of people complain about it, but there is always worse. Trust me...
I'm from Pittsburgh but have been stationed in Florida for almost 6 years. Any good shops around that area? I plan on buying a 78mm plate kit from HSW and need it tuned. What's good around Rapid City? Currently trying to sell my sportbike for a cruiser bike too.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

rapid city is not a bad city. i use to live about a hour south or so in custer. as for the car scene idk havent been up there in years. when i was there it was a lot of rice. lots of dealerships lots of parts stores, has a mall, walmart sams club etc, and a big stereo shop. overall not a bad city.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think there is much down there as far as tuners go. You'll probably have to go on the conservative side on a canned tune from a tuner or make a hefty drive...

The town itself is just nice. I really enjoyed the downtown area and the bars. I'm also stationed in one of the worst spots possible though, so most things are an upgrade to me though. And there's some neat little towns that aren't far away like sturgis and spearfish. Spearfish is a really neat little gambling town...

Also, I'd go do some riding before you decide to sell that R6. There are some great hills around there to ride on. I'm a sportbike guy myself and I see those hills as being a lot more fun on a sportbike than a cruiser. Also, you might want to check out signing up on SilverdoSS.com. There are quite a few SSS guys out that way. I drove down from ND for a cruise to Rushmore and we had 20-30 guys make the cruise.

Last edited by ImpalaSSpeed96; 02-21-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, I'm ready for a smaller city. Too many tourists along the gulf coast makes it dreadful to drive a bike or sports car. Ready for cooler weather as well.

I've been told not to put all my eggs in one basket and sell the bike for the simple fact that I should get up there, see what's around then go from there. I'll check out silveradoss.com too.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

it's not all that bad here in Rapid.. As long as you dont mind the cold and some snow. There are no big name tuners around but there are a couple people that might be able to help you out with the tuning. Its really not to bad for weather though, i got my TA that stays in the garage most of the winter and the V that i can drive almost daily during the winter.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

I was looking through my pics the other day and I think that gambling down was actually Deadwood. Def worth the short drive down there for a night.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96
I don't think there is much down there as far as tuners go. You'll probably have to go on the conservative side on a canned tune from a tuner or make a hefty drive...

The town itself is just nice. I really enjoyed the downtown area and the bars. I'm also stationed in one of the worst spots possible though, so most things are an upgrade to me though. And there's some neat little towns that aren't far away like sturgis and spearfish. Spearfish is a really neat little gambling town...

Also, I'd go do some riding before you decide to sell that R6. There are some great hills around there to ride on. I'm a sportbike guy myself and I see those hills as being a lot more fun on a sportbike than a cruiser. Also, you might want to check out signing up on SilverdoSS.com. There are quite a few SSS guys out that way. I drove down from ND for a cruise to Rushmore and we had 20-30 guys make the cruise.
Excessive Autosports in Sioux Falls. it's about 500 miles away, but they've pumped out some sick cars (Navy Dave's 106mm single turbo 370ci SS)

Quick Reply: Moving to SD!