Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Questions for Alaska residents.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions for Alaska residents.

I have a couple of questions for you AK people. I'm going to be moving up to Anchorage in a couple of months and my Formula is basically my DD. My question is, how do these cars do in the winter months? Is there anything I should be aware of? I've never been up there so I don't know how harsh the winters are. I noticed in past threads that some of you store your cars for the winter. So, am I gonna have trouble DDing my car up there?

I have duals with no cats on right now. In MS there are no emission laws so I can get away with this set-up. Second question is, am I gonna have to change my exhaust set-up? How strict are the emission laws up there?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone? Are there no AK people here?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in AK in the summer only and i DD my formula in snowy New York State during the rest of the year. I might be able to help you out.

First of all, Anchorage roads are pretty icy all winter long. A "warm" day in winter means above 25 degrees. They don't get a lot of snow fall there, but the snow never melts until spring. Luckily, Anchorage is pretty flat so there aren't a lot of steep hills to climb. Everyone i know there has a set of studded tires for the winter. I'm not sure about the tires on the rwd Ford Crown Vic taxi cabs, but they do drive in winter.

I'm not certain about the emissions laws. I do know that Anchorage is the only place in AK that requires an inspection sticker. I don't think they test emissions though. I wouldn't bother changing your exhaust. wait and see.

My advice would be to purchase a nice little subaru or S10 blazer or Fwd car with studs for the winter. Otherwise, you risk getting stuck somewhere or worse, crashing your car. I have studded snow tires for my formula here in NY State for the winter and i only drive when i have to. F-body's require a lot of momentum to get up snowy roads, and a quick jab of the gas in a corner is enough to send the rear end fishtailing. I'm not saying you won't be able to handle your car in winter, but there are a lot of other drivers out on anchorage roads that your car might not be able to react quickly enough to avoid.

Enjoy AK! I love it up there
Old 05-24-2010, 11:19 PM
9 Second Club

If you want to drive that during the winter you'll need your factory exhaust and an IM test or they won't even register you. I have my new 98 ta on the seasonal program which your only allow to drive it between march 31 and november 1. We just got the IM program killed but they are still doing it until the feds ok it.
As long as you have studded tires you should do fine. There was a lady the drove her ws6 convert all year around for many winters. She just recently quit. Mine never get out of my driveway in the winter. If I need the garage I'll pull it out then as soon as I'm done it goes right back in.

When you guys are here and want to bs or hangout with other f-body guys let me know I've started a late model car group.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 PM
9 Second Club

Feel free to message me if you want more details.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been to AK - honestly I feel that having a car like an F-body up there is kinda like trying to fish for king crabs in the Bering Sea with a jon boat.

Quick Reply: Questions for Alaska residents.