Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Deep Dish C5's are on!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
LOL,,,, just admit it, you're an old fart at heart and should be driving a Lexus.

Mike
Well I can think of one way to get me to come over to the dark side....let me test your new build out at the track
Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
lol I can agree with both sides, to each and his own. I am kinda of middle of the road with "special edition" cars, most things if you keep stock parts could always be returned to stock if one really wanted to. I will not have to worry about it for a while at least because I dont have the money to spend towards the car right now. And whenever I do it will be for bolt on stuff.
I can totally respect the fact that you wouldn't want to seriously modify your ride. You are the only one that needs to be happy with what you have. When I say seriously modify, I mean install a weld-in rollcage, minitubs, or something that is permanently installed to the floorpans etc.. something that would be very difficult to change back to original.

I think the part that cracks me up the most is when guys talk about the newer gen SS's and WS.6's like they are something really rare or unique. Back in the day GM (and all of Detroit automakers) used to make significant changes to the engines/transmissions before labeling a normal car an "SS" or whatever the new name badge was. The new generation of "SS's" or "Limited Edition" cars are nothing more than a stock version with an intake filter and a different hood and maybe if you're lucky you'll get upgraded shocks/springs with a couple badges placed throughout the car. Not exactly unique from my perspective. I think GM has realized this over the years and is exactly why the rumored "Z28" for the new Camaro will have the de-tuned SC engine (LS9?) from the ZR1. Now that, my friends, should be a respected car IMHO.

Again, just my lowly opinion.....

Mike
Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Well I can think of one way to get me to come over to the dark side....let me test your new build out at the track
LOL.... Put that stroker 427 that you mentioned before into your ride and we'll talk.

Mike
Old 06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can totally respect the fact that you wouldn't want to seriously modify your ride. You are the only one that needs to be happy with what you have. When I say seriously modify, I mean install a weld-in rollcage, minitubs, or something that is permanently installed to the floorpans etc.. something that would be very difficult to change back to original.

I think the part that cracks me up the most is when guys talk about the newer gen SS's and WS.6's like they are something really rare or unique. Back in the day GM (and all of Detroit automakers) used to make significant changes to the engines/transmissions before labeling a normal car an "SS" or whatever the new name badge was. The new generation of "SS's" or "Limited Edition" cars are nothing more than a stock version with an intake filter and a different hood and maybe if you're lucky you'll get upgraded shocks/springs with a couple badges placed throughout the car. Not exactly unique from my perspective. I think GM has realized this over the years and is exactly why the rumored "Z28" for the new Camaro will have the de-tuned SC engine (LS9?) from the ZR1. Now that, my friends, should be a respected car IMHO.

Mike
i know what your saying about how these cars arent that rare, but they dident make very many 35th LE's. and what about the berger ss's? those are worth a ton of money and they wont go down in value i dont think. and pontiac isent even a company anymore, so the transams could be worth something someday maybe. but i dident buy my ss for it to be worth a ton of money, i got it cause i love to drive fbody's. its really about the best bang for the buck you could ever want out of a street car or drag car
Old 06-11-2010, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

I don't recal anyone on here mentioning anything about the SS 35TH or the WS6 being anything too special or rare. On the other hand, you don't see that many around or one's that are in Great condition. Everything I see around here is a busted up, riced out Z28 or V6....other then your guy's cars.

Mike, I'm not gonna spend the money on my motor any more then I have too. If anything, and I have given it some thought, I would do a LS? swap. Not sure of which one though.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't recal anyone on here mentioning anything about the SS 35TH or the WS6 being anything too special or rare. On the other hand, you don't see that many around or one's that are in Great condition. Everything I see around here is a busted up, riced out Z28 or V6....other then your guy's cars.

Mike, I'm not gonna spend the money on my motor any more then I have too. If anything, and I have given it some thought, I would do a LS? swap. Not sure of which one though.
someday in the future, i wana get a fully forged 402ci ls2 aluminum block with some afr heads and big *** cam. i dont see my self ever wanting more cubes than that.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

I don't recal anyone on here mentioning anything about the SS 35TH or the WS6 being anything too special or rare.
I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone in particular or anyone on here so I appologize if it came across that way. It was meant to be a very generalized statement. But there are people in this world that think an SS or WS.6 is superior to any other fbody and look down on all others. Those are the people that humor me to no end.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 97Z M6; 06-11-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mike
Yea, my grandpa has an all original many optioned 68 camaro rs and it is very nice car however me personally would like something that is not number match etc so you can make it how you like it. Everyone is different and i respect both sides. My car is nothing special like you said, it is a little different and by numbers may be considered rare but like you said nothing much different than any other ss. I just got a decent buy on it, liked the car and it is a little different than the average ss. I will never do anything insane to this car, if i was going to do that would buy one that is cheaper to start with and build from there. However i would like to eventually do some stuff to it, but like i said most things can always be returned to stock if stock parts are kept for anyone who prefers those completely stock cars. I am just interested in cars in general and pretty much any "muscle" type car interests me.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Z28's FTW!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks Money! I'm liking them! Wish they were 18'' but the price of new tires and 18'' were more then I wanted to spend.
Yea but for what you would have spent it wouldn't have big that big of a difference. Looks great now!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone in particular or anyone on here so I appologize if it came across that way. It was meant to be a very generalized statement. But there are people in this world that think an SS or WS.6 is superior to any other fbody and look down on all others. Those are the people that humor me to no end.

Mike
I got ya bro. Some people think a badge equals better/go faster...kinda like some of the ricers in my area that throw on the Nos stickers LOL

Originally Posted by 99TransAm GF
Yea but for what you would have spent it wouldn't have big that big of a difference. Looks great now!
Thanks man!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

what i dont understand is why gm messed up on the z28...the z28 should have came out first then the ss i meen from the beginning the z28 was the lighter smaller cube high revving transam champ racer and the ss was the big dog for the strip they where two dif dogs the ss has always had more power even up till now, but instead of like mike said having two distinct cars you have a slp package with like 15-20 extra horses a LITTLE fin and some nicer wheels and the car is basically the same..but now gm's bringing the z28 out as the top dog? i meen all the z-28 used to be was a production code for suspension seems like backwards they should call it a copo in my opinion lol that was the next step after the ss but mabey the engineers only grew up in the 70's after the ss badge was dropped and the z28 was actually the best you could get till 1996 when the ss had a rebirth so mabey its marketing? lol or mabey they are going along with the Z badge being that the z06 and zr1 are hyper performace cars and mabey they think the badging will go along with that? but the zo6 and ZR1 badges are not new...lol they are ooold old the code zr1 was a uprated suspension package and actually the ZR2 was the code for the suspension and the mighty LS-6 454 that was 1971 the zr1 package was around prior to 1971 aswell the z06 code was even older than that.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1whip
what i dont understand is why gm messed up on the z28...the z28 should have came out first then the ss i meen from the beginning the z28 was the lighter smaller cube high revving transam champ racer and the ss was the big dog for the strip they where two dif dogs the ss has always had more power even up till now, but instead of like mike said having two distinct cars you have a slp package with like 15-20 extra horses a LITTLE fin and some nicer wheels and the car is basically the same..but now gm's bringing the z28 out as the top dog? i meen all the z-28 used to be was a production code for suspension seems like backwards they should call it a copo in my opinion lol that was the next step after the ss but mabey the engineers only grew up in the 70's after the ss badge was dropped and the z28 was actually the best you could get till 1996 when the ss had a rebirth so mabey its marketing? lol or mabey they are going along with the Z badge being that the z06 and zr1 are hyper performace cars and mabey they think the badging will go along with that? but the zo6 and ZR1 badges are not new...lol they are ooold old the code zr1 was a uprated suspension package and actually the ZR2 was the code for the suspension and the mighty LS-6 454 that was 1971 the zr1 package was around prior to 1971 aswell the z06 code was even older than that.
you sure do know your history
Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just gonna thro his out there,the beger SS's ar pretty special. along with al;l the rest of the GMMG cars. but your run of the mill ss is pretty common i guess
Old 06-12-2010, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

lol thanks man idk i have been obsessed with gm cars since my dad told me stories about running to mexico in his 71 z28 and my uncle telling me about his 71 corvette and chevelle's and elky's he had lol i had no choice..i was adddicted to the bowtie from birth i think.. i have had 4 c10 trucks 2 72's a 65 still have a 69 c10 i had a 69 elcamino and a 84 lifted k5 blazer lol the bowtie runs deep with me ahahah..gmmg widebody besides 67-73 maros i think hands down for me even over the new camaros is my fav body style..they have a orange one for sale for 100k ls7 prolly like 5 miles on it..lol damn i wish some one made the widebody kit for the 4th gens..
Old 06-12-2010, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Something worth noting though is that the "SS" badge can be found on just about any Chevrolet platform from trucks to Impala's, to Cobalts. The Z28 badge is only found on the Camaro, making it exclusive to that platform. For the first gen Camaro's, the Z28 badge was the most rare, being only a little over 600 Z28's being made in 1967.

Mike
Old 06-12-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ Yes sir!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Something worth noting though is that the "SS" badge can be found on just about any Chevrolet platform from trucks to Impala's, to Cobalts. The Z28 badge is only found on the Camaro, making it exclusive to that platform. For the first gen Camaro's, the Z28 badge was the most rare, being only a little over 600 Z28's being made in 1967.

Mike
even so the badge has been a mainstay in the top performance model usually minus other very special cars. the z28 was rare cause for the price the ss seemed to be a better deal performance wise thats why there are more of the ss cars running around of that vintage cause the demand for that package was more thus they sold more
Old 06-12-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:

Mike

even so the badge has been a mainstay in the top performance model usually minus other very special cars. the z28 was rare cause for the price the ss seemed to be a better deal performance wise thats why there are more of the ss cars running around of that vintage cause the demand for that package was more thus they sold more

And in 67 those cars did not come with any z28 markings so very hard to tell if it was a z28 if i remember right one of the only ways to tell if it was the z28 is a 4L marking. Those little 302 are strong running engines.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

The word performance means different things to different people though. If you're talking about pure hp and straight line speed, then yes the SS with a big block would be the winner. But if you're talking about roadcourse performance, I think the lighter Z28 of that era with it's better brakes and stiffer suspension would be showing the heavier SS the tail lights on just about any roadcourse in the country. That little 302 was no slouch (in stock form) and the Sunoco/Penske Camaro's cleaned house in the Trans Am series with the modded versions of the Z28.

Mike

Quick Reply: Deep Dish C5's are on!