Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

URGENT ALERT!!! H.B. 3214 Ban on after market exhaust systems! act quick!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** exhaust laws. Oregon State Representative Phil Barnhart can kiss my ***, you'd think there would be more productive things for this guy to do with his time
Old 02-19-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
**** exhaust laws. Oregon State Representative Phil Barnhart can kiss my ***, you'd think there would be more productive things for this guy to do with his time
and our money.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Hey if they do pass the law then all it will say is for off road use only. So if a cop pulls you over cause your car is to loud then they have to prove that with a BD reading and I highly doubt they will have one with them. So I wouldn't be to worried about it.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Glad I live in Indiana....lol
Old 02-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Hey if they do pass the law then all it will say is for off road use only. So if a cop pulls you over cause your car is to loud then they have to prove that with a BD reading and I highly doubt they will have one with them. So I wouldn't be to worried about it.
Half true money, in the perfect world a law enforcement officer would carry a DB meter. However, in reality they will just cite you and then you will have to prove it. The first thing the judge says is that the Police Officer has the perpondurecne of evidence and the most likely out come will be a guilty verdict. Then the Officer will start by saying the he is a dually appointed police officer both for the state and his specifc dept. His education, training, and experiacne will all qualify him to state that in his opinion our cars are too loud and that is all the judge will need.

kitzhaber tried this a while back with all after market parts and it failed. Even if it does go through we will still have to vote on it. The state would stand to loose too much revenue from the bill. Hit the pocket book and they will run..lol
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Well take my speed racing ticket I got off on. He had only personal judgment and it didn't hold up, well cause I basically admitted was I doing. If it does pass then I'm sure they all will carry one, or it will be built in on the radar gun or on there car somewhere.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Well take my speed racing ticket I got off on. He had only personal judgment and it didn't hold up, well cause I basically admitted was I doing. If it does pass then I'm sure they all will carry one, or it will be built in on the radar gun or on there car somewhere.
That I could definetly see. They will put it on there car. Then they will have to seperate cars from truck from diesel trucks from big rigs. It will be a fiasco for sure. I say if it passes we all take our cars down to the capitol and just rev the pi&* out of them... not really
Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Lol I'm down with that except we all need cut outs and then do it
Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

I'm going to run open headers through DEQ next time I'm due in.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:28 PM
wpe
Teching In

Here is what I wrote that ***:
Dear Mr. Barnhart,

I just became aware of your HB3214 that does the following:

• H.B. 3214 would prohibit the sale of these exhaust systems in Oregon. The bill would also prohibit the sale of these systems by an Oregon-based business to an out-of-state customer.

Some issues with HB3214:

• H.B. 3214 provides no clear standard to enforce, and refers to DEQ noise standards that are not currently in use. The bill could allow DEQ to resurrect its noise control program or create a new and unspecified standard.

• H.B. 3214 makes no accommodation for SEMA model legislation to allow vehicle hobbyists to buy and install aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test (SAE J1169).

• H.B. 3214 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

• H.B. 3214 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

• H.B. 3214 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options. These “hobbyists” are people from all walks of life, from teens, to doctors, lawyers, on up.

As you may well know our economy here basically sucks to put it bluntly. With your bill, if it passes, will cause most of the aftermarket automotive businesses here in Oregon and your neighbors to loose a lot of business. I don’t have to tell you that when businesses loose business we all loose, it’s a snow ball effect, but you should know that. These shops would include your local muffler shops, auto dealerships, aftermarket auto parts and so forth. Then it comes to enforcement, with the given state of economy and the financial state of the government of Oregon, how do you plan on enforcing something like this. We have enough problems with our schools, police services and the list goes on and on. Don’t you think you got something better to do with your time??

My business is located in Vancouver Washington but I live in Portland. So I am one of you constituents.

Quick Reply: URGENT ALERT!!! H.B. 3214 Ban on after market exhaust systems! act quick!!