Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Oregon DEQ with headers/no cats

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oregon DEQ with headers/no cats

I live in the Portland area and am buying a 1999 Camaro with long tubes and off road pipe from out of state. I know for newer cars deq usually just pulls the codes. Given that i dont have any SES lights on will the car pass even though the cats have been removed?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedgoat
I live in the Portland area and am buying a 1999 Camaro with long tubes and off road pipe from out of state. I know for newer cars deq usually just pulls the codes. Given that i dont have any SES lights on will the car pass even though the cats have been removed?
Odds are they will not check for cats. It's a simple plug-n-play and you should be good if no codes are popping up. You should be ok if so. Let us know how it turns out.

Todd
Old 04-20-2011, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedgoat
the code may have been tuned out you would probably get a post cat code if your cats are gone or the light is "turned off" aka bulb taken out or somthing... scan the car if you know some one with a scanner before you buy it. good luck go to sherwood they are pretty cool. a guy on her named bobby had a 454lsx camaro and passed at sherwood im sure that thing soiunded legal and stock..
Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

should be fine as long as you tune out the codes, I passed with no problems, LTs and ORY
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Teching In

For cars coming in from out of state. Don't they also do a visual along with a sniffer the first time around?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cncmasterofor
For cars coming in from out of state. Don't they also do a visual along with a sniffer the first time around?
i've bought a number of cars from out of state and had more than a few diesel converted cars through sherwood (i've never gone anywhere else since ~01) and it's never been an issue, i've never seen them get the mirrors out, then again - they DO have mirrors there and the drive up place now is shiney enough to be able to look under the car enough if they want to.

the "visual inspection" they do is a VIN inspection -and at DEQ that literally means they do the same work of scanning the bar code at the vin on the door as they do for every other car they see.

just know if you're going through oregon DEQ without at least a punched out cat (something that looks like a cat visually) and you're caught not setting an obd2 light it's a BIG fine and I think they black list your cars vin for a while. at least with a punched out cat you'll never have the potential issue of them looking under the car. not really worth the expensive gamble IMO

Quick Reply: Oregon DEQ with headers/no cats