Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

OR: Tuning shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OR: Tuning shop

Hey guys, I just swapped an LS into my car and want/need some tuning done. Are there any good shops in Oregon? Maybe even the Salem area?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wong's proformance engineering in vancover does great work from everything I have heard.

What did you swap it into?

Last edited by welldonecj7; 03-28-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 Wong's Performance
Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Tom is the go to guy here's his shop number 360-695-9433. He knows Gm **** inside and out
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jesus Freak
Hey guys, I just swapped an LS into my car and want/need some tuning done. Are there any good shops in Oregon? Maybe even the Salem area?
What kind of tuning are you needing done? Sensor deletes, code removal, etc... I can help you with. I work in Salem. If you're needing full dyno-tuning done, I'd be willing to help with that as well by setting up my laptop and interface on your car.....then you could get a remote tune from either edcmat-l1 or Frost. You'd need a wideband o2 installed on your car. Or, you could go with a "mail order" tune from one of those guys, and I could flash it in for you....whatever you choose. I have access to a steady-state capable dyno as well....I'd have to double-check on current rental rates....but it's here in Salem as well.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited by salemetro; 03-28-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Launching!

I have a wideband o2 already for my PLX gauge. I would like a full dyno tune, but not a necessity. I need the idle raised and the shift points on my 6x tuned really good and I've never tuned anything. So help would be appreciated, Im used to the euro scene so finding GM tuning shops is new to me.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Well Wong's is the way to go its a one stop shop. Call him and tell him what you have going on and let him know what you wanna do.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Wong's for sure
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will only say that when I called Wong's for tuning my FFI Fbody, I got some answers to questions that did not jive with what Frost had told me. I'm not going to slam the shop, but Steve's (Frost) reputation here is VERY,VERY good....and that's an understatement.

Just my $.02
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
Wong's proformance engineering in vancover does great work from everything I have heard.

What did you swap it into?
Sorry, it's in a 00 BMW 528.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by salemetro
I will only say that when I called Wong's for tuning my FFI Fbody, I got some answers to questions that did not jive with what Frost had told me. I'm not going to slam the shop, but Steve's (Frost) reputation here is VERY,VERY good....and that's an understatement.

Just my $.02
What's the name of the shop? I want call and get prices and vibes from both shops, I have a hard time letting other people touch my car. Lol **** I guess
Old 03-28-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the name of the shop? I want call and get prices and vibes from both shops, I have a hard time letting other people touch my car. Lol **** I guess
PM edcmat-l1 or Frost....both members of this forum. You can also visit Frost's website www.tunedbyfrost.com

With either one of these guys, you'd have to rent dyno time locally and have access to a tuning suite such as HPTuners. That way, they can remote tune the vehicle. Overall, this would be a more expensive route than going to Wong's...as you'll have to rent dyno time locally, AND pay for licensing of HPTuners for your vehicle. The plus side to this, is that your car will be tuned by, arguably, the best in the business.

Edit: Also keep in mind BOTH of these guys are friggin' busy, so it might take some time for them to get back with you. I'm going to be scheduling dyno time in the next few weeks to have edcmat-l1 tune my Miata....if you feel like it, we might be able to do both cars at the same time. Just a thought.

Last edited by salemetro; 03-28-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am the same way, hard to let anyone that I dont know touch my cars after being screwed by one shop & having issues with another.

but I have known tom for several years & he is one of two shops that I will allow to touch my cars.
Ellis of speed secrets is another one.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Teching In

I would not do any kinda of mail order tune its a pain in the *** and its not going to be anything close to a dyno tune. Mail tunes are crap! If not Tom ellis would be my second choice up in snohomish, WA
Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SalvageZ28
I would not do any kinda of mail order tune its a pain in the *** and its not going to be anything close to a dyno tune. Mail tunes are crap! If not Tom ellis would be my second choice up in snohomish, WA
I agree...a regular mail order tune would suck. That's not what I'm suggesting in the slightest.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Teching In

one shop you should not go to is PSI!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know to many people that got screwed over by them and they dont know how to tune Ls's worth a ****
Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

There's dyno in Salem? News to me lol.. Where is at?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

So you rent a dyno do some pulls while logging data with HPT or EFI Live etc. Email file to whoever. Then have to rent more dyno time down the road so you can upload the tune and then log some more data? Sounds like a huge PITA to me.

I am very happy with my tune from Wong's, who is also very busy and hard to get an appointment in short notice.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Dan Judy automotive has a dynojet. Wouldn't take my car there for tuning, but they're nice guys.
I'm not in a hurry for a tune, I'd like the idle bumped up soon, but I'm still breaking in the engine. So it'll be awhile, maybe I'll call wongs and schedule an appointment in a month or so.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98goldz28
So you rent a dyno do some pulls while logging data with HPT or EFI Live etc. Email file to whoever. Then have to rent more dyno time down the road so you can upload the tune and then log some more data? Sounds like a huge PITA to me.

I am very happy with my tune from Wong's, who is also very busy and hard to get an appointment in short notice.
Um...nope. That's not how it works. But whatever.....I was just throwing the offer out there. If you're happy with Wong's, great. For myself, they'll never touch my cars. Call it personal choice, or whatever ya want. I just don't feel comfortable with them, for my own reasons. To each, their own.

Quick Reply: OR: Tuning shop