Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Prepping car for Fall/Winter Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013 | 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Prepping car for Fall/Winter Tips?

First off I LOVE driving in the rain. So fun when you can break the rear loose basically anytime you want

Anyway, this is my first LS car and thus my first winter using it. I plan on daily driving my car until the ice hits, but until then are there anything you guys usually do to your cars when the rain season starts? I'm trying to wax it every 2 weeks or so, keep it in the garage and park undercover at work.

Anything else?
Old 09-30-2013 | 12:28 AM
Teching In

Check all your weatherstrips and get some good all season tires. I dd my vette year round rain, ice or snow and as long as you have a good feel for how your car puts the power down, you will be fine.. you could throw some sand bags in the trunk for added traction like most trucks do but you will loose some mpg in doing so. Not much tho..
Old 09-30-2013 | 11:46 AM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

I daily drove my El Camino for 10 years (5 of them in Seattle) its not a big deal as long as you don't try to go out in the snow/ice. If you do just realize it'll suck and you may end up walking. Other than that, check the tire pressure and fluids to make sure they are all OK. I didn't ever notice an increase in rust or anything but that could be because when the weather got really bad I'd just walk. The sand bags do help, but I think I added like 200# or more before I really noticed a difference. like dcam said, the tires are important. I had BFG T/As on it and when I went to wider tires the worse it would drive in the snow and rain.
Jess
Old 09-30-2013 | 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Waxing every two weeks is a waste of time and money. Clay it and throw a good paint sealant on there and your good to go for 6mos.
Old 09-30-2013 | 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

More importantly, make SURE that that battery tests to specification, and that the antifreeze is a good 50/50 mix......BEFORE the harsh cold weather gets here. Nothing worse than going out to your car in the near-freezing cold, only to find that the battery is too weak to start the car....with the only exception being a potentially wasted engine from being frozen solid....all because of a lack of basic preventative maintenance.
Old 09-30-2013 | 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Park it and buy a beater car for winter.
Old 09-30-2013 | 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

Add a turbo kit, put on some bald tires and drive it thru the winter to make it interesting.

Mike
Old 10-01-2013 | 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Or Mike's idea lol! Hey he would learn how to drive like a ****!
Old 10-02-2013 | 12:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Yep.....Don't make the mistake I make damn near every year....putting straight water in in the squirter bottle. I have had to replace the one in my pickemup twice since moving up here in 08....Aint like I did not live in NJ for a long time before going to AZ then to Eastern Washington....
Old 10-02-2013 | 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zlicious94
Waxing every two weeks is a waste of time and money. Clay it and throw a good paint sealant on there and your good to go for 6mos.
Good idea, any sealant recommendations?

Originally Posted by salemetro
More importantly, make SURE that that battery tests to specification, and that the antifreeze is a good 50/50 mix......BEFORE the harsh cold weather gets here. Nothing worse than going out to your car in the near-freezing cold, only to find that the battery is too weak to start the car....with the only exception being a potentially wasted engine from being frozen solid....all because of a lack of basic preventative maintenance.
Anything under 50 and I'm using my Tacoma, just using the bird for the wet stuff. I actually get better mileage than my truck too

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Got my 4WD 04 Tacoma for the icy stuff.

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Add a turbo kit, put on some bald tires and drive it thru the winter to make it interesting.

Mike

I'd wrap it around a tree before I left my driveway....
Old 10-07-2013 | 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

They will all work well. I personally use diamond shine made by detail plus.

Quick Reply: Prepping car for Fall/Winter Tips?