Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Paging Todd

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Todd

Okay everytime I start a polishing project I gain more and more respect for what you've done with your car. Hoping you'd give me some advice.

1. Oil filler spout; how do you break it off and how do you install a new one?

2. What are you using for a detail sander? I purchased this Ryobi triangle head deal that looked like it would be great for getting in corners which it does however it doesn't sand well. I wound up sanding my valve covers by hand. I did use the Eastwood expander wheel to do the edges and that worked great, got them smooth as a bady butt and when you mount the coil packs thats about all you can see so I wanted them right.

3. Water pump I've got it sitting on my work bench thinking I need to save up for a Mezire polished unit. How did you ever get it smooth enough to polish? I look at that part then look at your photos and you must have Super Hero Powers.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
I look at that part then look at your photos and you must have Super Hero Powers.
LOL.

Honestly it just takes tons of time.

1. I can break just about anything, it was easy. A natural thing for me, lol. I really do not remember but I think I twisted it off and it cracked, using pliers. The new one twists in place and locks.

2. The key is to try to let the tripoli compound smooth the surface. Then for the corners I would use the sandpaper sponge or fold 600grit paper or the detail sander and reach into corners etc. and hand sand the tight areas...takes tons of time. Sometimes a 1" yellow dremmel wheel on a dremmel will help. I use a craftsman detail sander.

3. On the WP you can not get the bottom grooves under the bell, just no way. Again I hand sanded and used the detail sander in most all the areas. It is tuff, I would never do another, there are just to many nooks to reach onto.

Also, after you put the pump back on do not get antifreeze on it because the finish will not look good, it pits from the antifreeze. Don't forget to buy new stainless bolts for the pump, tensioner, therm, and the tensioner pulley and polish them so it looks good. I got my bolts from Champion bolts in Everett, they can get anything you need. Oh paint the clamps black while they are off the car too, that rusty brown paint on the clamps looks bad. Watch out when you buff as not to remove any paint from the bell housing too. Just some tip I can think of.

On the 3rd pic down in the link below, that center area was the most difficult, it was all mostly hand sanded. PITA

I am really looking forward to seeing your can finished.

Post pics if you have any parts complete.

Best Pics of WP

One last thing I almost forgot...Polish the valley, mine shows and looks bad..

Last edited by Todd2001SS; 11-21-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
LOL.

3. On the WP you can not get the bottom grooves under the bell, just no way. Again I hand sanded and used the detail sander in most all the areas. It is tuff, I would never do another, there are just to many nooks to reach onto.

One last thing I almost forgot...Polish the valley, mine shows and looks bad..

Yeah I may just add the Meziere polished piece to my project list for 2005.

It has been a rewarding project and Mark has been great. We've been squeezing a few hours at a time which has allowed me to clean every little part. We removed the EGR & Air system (a full tote full of hoses, pumps etc.), did the wire mod, a few polished parts, painted intake and a couple more details my engine bay and undercarriage should be standing tall. Looking forward to the first show.

Quick Reply: Paging Todd