Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

More electrical problems......

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005 | 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Default More electrical problems......

Figured I'd post this up in here since we have as much traffic as the electrical forum and we have some pretty sharp cookies here.

This is the second time in six months I have had my formula in to the dealer to work on the steering column/turn signal/tilt mechanism issue. Not sure what causes it but my brake lights went south the first time intermittantly. They replaced the turn signal switch mechanism and all was good until recently.

Now, my right turn signal/brake light does not work. It shows as being on solid in the dash cluster when i turn the lever to the on position. Nothing happens at the front or rear lighting circuit. When I leave it on and tilt the wheel all the way up it goes away at the dash guage cluster. Also the right brake light does not function. The center light and left side tail light work fine when applying the brakes. Nada at the right side.

Another problem is my formula goes through the driving/fog lights at a helacious clip. about once every 2 months they take a **** on me.

Anybody else have these problems? Is there a permanant fix other than replacing the turn signal switch mechanism and waiting for it to fail again.

My guess is the wires are getting pinched in the steering column.

Dropping it off at Kirkland Pontiac tonight after work.
Old 01-03-2005 | 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

I have heard about the tilt wheel problem. Not sure why some cars have it & others do not. At the risk of sounding stupid or insulting you, did you check the r-rear bulbs first? (since that is what the symptoms mimmick....open cicuit on those lamps)
Old 01-03-2005 | 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

My car eats up right rear bulbs like they are ******* candy. I have no idea why its doing it I just make sure to keep a stock of them at home. Sorry I have no good input for this thread.
Old 01-03-2005 | 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Well the problem sounds to me like nothing more than a bad ground/burnt bulb etc. on the RS either front or rear. A ground that is intermittantly making and breaking the connection will burn up bulbs like there's no tomorrow ...... but then you mention the tilt steering thing AND mention that somebody has been in there before ? That throws an unknown in there. Personally I'd start by just checking both light sockets front and rear to see about water intrusion/corrosion/bunrt bulbs. Barring a problem in there I'd take a peak at the wiring/turn signal switch in the column. This is the type of **** I do every day but it's hard to diagnose via the internet.

BTW I still to this day have never replaced a single bulb in my T/A !! Of course I did have to have a faulty oil pump replaced under warranty one time
Old 01-03-2005 | 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Bad grounds are extremely common on the rear tail lights blinkers. The sockets go bad it happened in my 93 like 3 times and the 01 drivers side blinker didn't work exactly right IMO.

Sweet Racehead now I know where to go if I have electrical problems They are one thing I will pay a good mechanic to fix I hate tracking them down... Of course I'm a nervous wreck while the mechanic has the car
Old 01-03-2005 | 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

I'm sure Bill would jump at the chance to take your Z for a test drive.....ahem, I mean fix a wiring problem for you Bobby. He's just that kind of a 'nice' guy!

Good point about the bad connection Bill. Got a meter Rick?
Old 01-03-2005 | 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

I had my Steering column bust out in smoke and flames in 99! I had it in three time's for the problem.

It comes down to stuffing to much in a column designed in the 70s! All it need then was blinkers and a horn. Now you have Blankers, Horn, Ignition, high beams, cruise, wind shield wipers, Air bag's and radio controls to name a few. There is just to much stuff inside of one.

On mine the problem was the cruise and air bag wires rubber through till they gruonded.

Always nice to smell smoke and see flames
Old 01-03-2005 | 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Always nice to smell smoke and see flames
The way YOU drive you're probably used to it ....
Old 01-03-2005 | 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

I tore the rear lights apart after hooters last week when I noticed it happening, checked all the lights, the bulbs ohmed out ok. The parking lights worked fine. The brake lights and turn signals on the left side worked as they should. The center brake light worked as it should. The grounding circuit is tied together to a common ground on both sides so that is not the problem. There is no voltage signal coming to the brake/turnsignal portion of the right side turnsignal/brake circuit.

Also had them check the rear end howling, defroster blower motor is making a clicking noise that rises and falls with fan rpm's and my gas guage is dancing around after it gets below half tank.

It's all still under the factory warranty, but I'd like to know there is a permanent fix for the steering column issue and not have my baby burn to the ground.
Old 01-03-2005 | 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racehead
The way YOU drive you're probably used to it ....
OUCH!!! Did I deserve that? Well do not answer please
Old 01-04-2005 | 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

Dropped it off last night, called them today at 2pm to see whats up. "Looks like we're going to have to disassemble the steering column" No ****** **** sherlock! I told you that last night. "We're still checking out the rest of the problems" Jeebus, all day and the geniuses figured out they have to tear down the steering column. Good thing it's still the factory warranty.

Rocket Surgeons.
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

I'll bet they pulled it into the shop at 2:30
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

I'll bet you are correct.
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Hell I am going to say it is still sitting on the lot

I busted the dealer more then once on that one. Dumb ***'s would leave my car RIGHT where they parked it when I was there and then BS me.
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

I think I'll be dropping by tomorrow during my lunch break and see if its actually in the shop.

Ellis, a while ago didn't you say Kirkland Pontiac had a decent Tech? What was his name?
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

his Name is Garth

He just LOVES it when I send people in
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

Beauty Garth! Oh, I mean Ellis. Got caught up in Wayne's world.

I can imagine he does. Am I sensing a bunch of sarcasm in that?
Old 01-05-2005 | 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rokko
I think I'll be dropping by tomorrow during my lunch break and see if its actually in the shop.
I can just see this now.....you'll show up & some fat-*** mechanic will be sittin in your car out in the parking lot eating some greasy triple cheeseburger, smoking a cig, and laughin his *** off about the huge burnout he just did.
Old 01-05-2005 | 08:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I can just see this now.....you'll show up & some fat-*** mechanic will be sittin in your car out in the parking lot eating some greasy triple cheeseburger, smoking a cig, and laughin his *** off about the huge burnout he just did.
Old 01-05-2005 | 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

I had that happen to me. Dropped off my wife's Mustang. Then later that day it pulls up next to me at a traffic light. Mechanic dumps the clutch smokes the tires though second.