Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

LSX Install Party

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005 | 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
And it looks like I may be working OT Saturday. If not, I'll probably come down & work on my gauges in the driveway while I listen to you guys blood-curdling screams from wedging your hands into places they should not go.....on the car Rick!!!
That's cool Mark... I'll have some beer on ice for ya. I'm gonna file down all those plastic push screws tonight. Now, if only the cowls on these cars were easily removeable, life would be much easier when working on these cars...
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont mean to be rude... but if you need a party to install an intake....

I did one after i got home fom work a few days ago. I was in before dinner
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Visceral
I dont mean to be rude... but if you need a party to install an intake....

I did one after i got home fom work a few days ago. I was in before dinner
It's an excuse to drink beer and BS about cars really... here's the general breakdown of how one of these events go:

10am: People show up, BS starts while eating donuts and standing around the car.

10:30am: Most of the BS ends for a bit, a little wrenching begins.

11am: Time for a union break, talk about drag racing, mods we have planned, upcoming car shows, etc.

Noon: Do a little more wrenching...

12:30: Break for lunch

1pm: Do a little more wrenching while BSing (we call this multi-tasking)

1:30pm: Getting closer to being done, so time for our second mandated union break.

2:30-3pm: Finally get done, stand around and admire our handy work just in time to drive up to the Quizno's Meet 'N' Greet at 4pm for a little more... yes, you guessed it, BSing.

Old 03-04-2005 | 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
It's an excuse to drink beer and BS about cars really... here's the general breakdown of how one of these events go:

10am: People show up, BS starts while eating donuts and standing around the car.

10:30am: Most of the BS ends for a bit, a little wrenching begins.

11am: Time for a union break, talk about drag racing, mods we have planned, upcoming car shows, etc.

Noon: Do a little more wrenching...

12:30: Break for lunch

1pm: Do a little more wrenching while BSing (we call this multi-tasking)

1:30pm: Getting closer to being done, so time for our second mandated union break.

2:30-3pm: Finally get done, stand around and admire our handy work just in time to drive up to the Quizno's Meet 'N' Greet at 4pm for a little more... yes, you guessed it, BSing.

I love Union jobs.
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like I will be able to show up! Haven't hung out with any of you for a while now. Should be able to be there by 10. And I don't have much of a problem fitting my hands under the cowl.

Jason
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

BTW, are there any speed bumps in your area? If so, how bad? I'm thinking I might throw the duals back on temporarily and hand in the back with coat hangers. I know it's getto but it feels so great to drive the car! The y-pipe should be here like tues.

Jason
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

You're more than welcome, Jason! But you probably should drive your bike if your ground clearance is that low on the car... there's one big speed bump right before my property that I've scraped my driveshaft loop on.

Also, inside my property there are those severe rain gutter/curbs in front of every driveway, so it'd be damn hard with that clearance to park in my driveway or along the side... plus you can park your bike on the sidewalk and I don't think anyone would say anything, unlike parking a car on the sidewalk.
Old 03-04-2005 | 01:43 PM
teh PuRpL3z

I'm gonna stop by a body shop in Auburn to get an estimate on teh PuRpL3 (they open at 9am), and then I will head over after I'm finished there.

Do you still have to do the thing at the gate?
Old 03-04-2005 | 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Nah... gate will be open during the day.
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Any of you guys coming down (Zeke, Doug, Jason, Mark, etc.) have an aluminum grinding head for a Dremel? I need one to make some modifications so the cam on the TB won't hit the intake (as Mark described). I thought I had one of those heads, but after tearing apart my tools I can't find it...

Otherwise I (or the wife) will make a quick run to Sears in the morning and pick one up, no biggie.
Old 03-05-2005 | 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

I have some grinding heads for and air grinder...so if you have an air compressor we should be good.

Jason
Old 03-05-2005 | 01:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Nope, no compressor...
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

I'll check and bring if I have one.
Old 03-05-2005 | 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

I have one....but I won't be coming. Sorry! Post if you run into anything you have questions about. Call my cell if it's critical. 425-501-4305
Old 03-05-2005 | 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

That's ok Mark... I do have a question for ya though. What exactly did you grind to make the cam on the TB clear? On mine, it's hitting one of the posts that you connect a hose to... so I can't grind on that. From looking at it, it looks like I'll have to grind the top of the TB cam so it'll clear the post and the hose that will be attached to it. Probably need a good 1/4" inch off the top of the TB cam to accomplish that...
Old 03-05-2005 | 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Exactly. Be careful grinding on the cam tho. It heats up & bends easily...SOFT metal. Use a file to de-bur it when you are done so the throttle cable doesn't snag.

And you may need to file the corner off the PCV tube on the TB too. Mine hit on a part of the manifold......

PS I also cut one side of the PCV hose flat. It has that outter ring that serves no purpose other than to interfere with the tb cam. Make it look like a D and it will save you some grinding on the cam....

Last edited by WAHUSKER; 03-05-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2005 | 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CATransam
looks like i may not be doing some window repairs for rookie, if ya want an extra set of hands me and my wife might be able to swing down? pm me if you need some help
Rookie is apparently coming over next weekend, and hubby is at work right now (10:51am), otherwise we would have come over. Maybe next time ... have fun boyz!!!
Old 03-05-2005 | 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

So hows it going?
Old 03-06-2005 | 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Everything went fine, no problems of note to report... Thanks a ton to Jason (11secproject), Doug, and Zeke for coming down and lending a hand... Jason and Doug did a lot of the stuff on the back of the intake.

Took a total of about 2.5 hours to complete... that included grinding down the cam on the tb, plus a break for pizza.

It started right up, no problems, no SES lights. There is a lot more air flow, even though I was just moving from an LS6 to the 78mm LSX... my ltrims were slightly negative before at cruise and idle, now they're way positive... so it running pretty damn lean.

Also threw on the 1" Spohn rear sway bar... fits great, and the relocation kit that came with it that is designed for use on 12 bolt/9" rear ends really helped get the sway bar spaced out away from the cover of the rear differential... my stocker was damn close to rubbing on it.
Old 03-06-2005 | 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Glad to hear it jason. Iwould give it some driving time to see what the ltrims do, but you should just have to tweak the ve table a little. Wish you were able to be their yesterday, i think with how the cars were running you would have been in the 11's.

Quick Reply: LSX Install Party