Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

dieing battery...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dieing battery...

OK short version..

Put new battery in after TH400 swap because the old battery apparently was not holding a charge!

Took the Z out of the garage last week cause it has been so nice here...anyhow new six cell battery is not holding a charge over a 48 hour period. Z sits parked most of the time, not DD.

Figured might be an alternator, diode possibly? Had it checked today. Guy checking it was hilarious...left the car idling first thing he comments on is the cam then he smells HYDROCARBONS! HEHEHEHE...tells me this would never pass emissions...DUH...don't have testing out here! Asked what it puts out for HP? Told him and times at track. He brings up ******* Hondas and what they can run for 4 bangers and front wheel drive. **** off man just check my battery and alt.!

Anyhow battery and alt. are good. Probably have a draw somewhere. Checked all the usual suspects dome lights, console lights, etc.

Anyone have any idea what could cause a sudden constant draw draining battery?

Ken
Old 03-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Banned

u/d pulley not fully charging? I mean if it were my car i'd never know cuz i only drive around 4000 rpms to redline.

Nate
Old 03-03-2005, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

One more sanity check for your alternator Ken. (not that I don't trust these morons at the local parts stores) Start the car, while it's idling disconnect a battery cable. If it contiunues to run, the low charge circuit in the alt is working. Which is usually what kills your battery.

Now how to find your current drain if the alt is good. Put a current meter in line with the battery cable (disconnect the battery & run it thru the meter) with everything turned off. You should be seeing some current. If so go pull your fuses one by one until you find it. Unless it's the battery cable you should see the current stop at some point.

Good luck.....these problems can be bastages to find.

Mark
Old 03-04-2005, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Lightbulb I think I might have found it...

Dunno...going through the car today opened up the console and the console light was on...yeah yeah I know its supposed to be! Kinda like does the fridge light go out if you shut the door?

Well I had jimmied the console light loose so the off trigger switch was jammed down. Light should have been off it wasn't. So we will see.

If that does not work I will try Marks idea.

Thanks

Ken
Old 03-04-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken that console light staying on is a common problem when taking trannies in and out. don't ask me how I know

Quick Reply: dieing battery...