Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Why NOT to run a wet shot on an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005 | 04:27 AM
Launching!

Yea, I missed the last show of the "Who wants to be a UFO fighter"... but it doesn't surprise me who was in it, they were all good and they definatly made the right decision in giving a third contract out.

But yea, I was going for Ken too... he's a badass, no doubt about that. But it just doesn't seem he was on his game as that was his second slip of the night... the first time he was just able to actually make something of it. Man... that was a killer leg lock too, I know I can barely stand after something half that and he's jumping around and kicking. Tough mothers...
Old 04-11-2005 | 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

wow the guy talking in this video is a jackass

http://www.driftsauce.com/z06/Al%20b...20c5%20z06.avi
Old 04-11-2005 | 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

UFC & fresh pie? Hey, I was at your house Todd.....what about me? All I got was a stupid polishing job on my catch can bracket! Looks friggin awesome BTW!!!

And now back to the Vette....that's 2 cars we've seen in 2 weeks that have gone Ka-Boom because of NOS. Sure makes spending $2k+ for heads sound pretty cheap. Even makes spending $5k for the SLP ZL-402 option look good. I know a lot of guys around here have run it and had success. But sardog made a good point without trying...."IF you know what you're doing.....". We can see what happens when you don't.
Old 04-11-2005 | 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Amorget
Where did you see the explination of what happened? That thread didn't say anything about why it happened...
Here's the original link where I found it:

Original link about Nitrous Boom
Old 04-11-2005 | 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Damn... I think that if any of my safety stuff wasn't working, I wouldn't run on juice until I got everything back in working order.

When I install nitrous, I'm for sure getting all the safety stuff (fuel pressure safety switch, nitrous filter, WOT switch, window switch, first gear lockout, fuel & nitrous pressure gauges where I can see them, etc)
Why are you going to runa first gear lockout. that is the gear you need it most in, unless you are leaving the line with enough power to turn 28" slicks with out bogging. With your cars weight, and the tires you are going to need TRUST ME you will want to leave the line on the bottle. That is how i got a 1.4 60ft.
Old 04-11-2005 | 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
You mean to tell me folks use nitrous in 2nd?
i spray from the launch to the traps!
Old 04-11-2005 | 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sardog46
Why are you going to runa first gear lockout. that is the gear you need it most in, unless you are leaving the line with enough power to turn 28" slicks with out bogging. With your cars weight, and the tires you are going to need TRUST ME you will want to leave the line on the bottle. That is how i got a 1.4 60ft.
I don't have to run 28" slicks yet... hell, I'd have to be trapping 128 mph in order to run out of gear on my 26" ET Streets. I don't think hitting a 100 shot is gonna pick me up 14 mph...
Old 04-11-2005 | 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
I don't have to run 28" slicks yet... hell, I'd have to be trapping 128 mph in order to run out of gear on my 26" ET Streets. I don't think hitting a 100 shot is gonna pick me up 14 mph...
I got .8 and 8mph.
Old 04-11-2005 | 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Like has been said already ... if you set it up right to begin with the chances of having something bad happen are almost nil. I've had the 5177 kit on my car for almost 3 years now ( haven't sprayed in a year though ). Before I put it on I was firmly against it. Then I started looking into the types of catastrophe's that occurred, and WHY they occurred, and realized that in every single case I came across ( for a dry shot anyway ), it was related to setup, or stupidity in application, or lazyness in maintenance. As far as a dryshot goes I've never seen a catrastrophe occur in a well thought out/well maintained system.

The trouble is the differance between a nitrous system that works and makes power, and a system that does the same thing only with safeguards, and safety checks built in, is quite a few $$ and much additional setup time.

Below are some things you need to do to install a safe system.

1) Install a window switch, even if you have an A4 you NEED a window switch. Preferably with an adjustable "on" rotary switch. You want to make sure you don't spray into your rev limiter. Make DAMN sure. You also want to make sure it doesn't apply at too low of an rpm ( mainly M6 guys ). nitrous = torque = cylinder pressure. The lower the rpm you hit it at, the more cylinder pressure your creating. Be reasonable. 3000 rpm is a good starting "on" point. Set it to shut off at least 200 rpm before your rev limiter kicks in. Make sure you don't spray into a valve float situation also. Make sure your valve springs are up to par.

2. Fuel pressure safety switch. Set it at 5-10 psi below cruising fuel pressure ( kind of a "whatever you feel comfortable with" type of things. Use the switch that comes with the NX kits, evidently it's better than the others. Once you set it go back every couple of months ( or sooner ) and re-set it because it WILL change. This is a very quick thing to do, think of it as routine maintenance.

3. WOT switch. IMO you should set this so that you need to have your foot FIRMLY into the carpet before it engages. That way you can turn it on and off without really backing off the throttle much below 99%. It is a very intuitive way to use nitrous.

A few more things I should mention here. Nitrous is inherently dirty and has alot of debris in it. I don't have a nitrous filter on my system, but I probably should since this debris is responsible for many solinoids sticking open. What I do instead is to frequently check to make sure that both of the solinoids ( which are plumbed in series to guard against catastrophy should one stick open ) are operating correctly by separating them and firing each one off in my garage. Do these things and you'll have a pretty worry free system. If you investigate nitrous problems that you hear about more fully, you'll find that one or more of these things wasn't done.

The last thing I'll mention is to check your injector duty cycle ( dry shot ) to make sure your not maxing them out. start with a small shot and work up. If you're overspraying your injector size, then all the other safeguards you've installed won't help you. I've sprayed my way ( 100 shot ) to 427 rwhp/525 rwtq on stock injectors ( 28.8 lb ) and was pretty much maxed out. Just know where your duty cycles are and you'll be safe.

I'm sure there are other things I've not covered here. But these are the biggies IMO
Old 04-11-2005 | 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Bill i never knew With that new cam and some traction, it will be time for a nhra cage. You need to pull the kit off the t/a and put it on the drag car. That big block will love it

You make some real good points. I have all those things and a few others. My window switch comes on at 3600-6800, shift at 7k. like has been said before the guys who are scared of nitrous have only seen the horrer stories, that doesn't happen that much. You are more likely to spit out a pinion gear than blow your motor with nitrous.........If it is set up right
Old 04-11-2005 | 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

If you are worried about your motor with nitrous then go by a Honda with an extended warranty (I meant that as joke)

While some are worried about thier motor and I'm sure they worry about it when they do a cam etc. I think most people realize that all it takes is once on a Stock vehical to blow up a motor, in fact the two motors I've toasted were both stock. (an 84 Z28 305 with 21k miles on it does not handle extended WOT top speed runs very well FYI)

The horror stories are not motors shoot you see FI guys blowing motors left and right. THey BUILD a motor for the FI and loose a piston the first time on the dyno. The horror story here is watching a Z06 go up in flames, I can see blowing up and intake and screwing up your hood even but that car is toast.
Old 04-11-2005 | 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sardog46
Bill i never knew
Kind of a top secret "just in case" ( Mark beats me ) mod

With that new cam and some traction, it will be time for a nhra cage.
I think you mean it would be time to hire one of the militarys spy satellites to help me find all the parts that just exploded out of my stock rear end lol !

You need to pull the kit off the t/a and put it on the drag car. That big block will love it
I've been thinking this myself so it's a VERY real possibility once I get the '71 more closely dialed in. It should be running 11.80's @ 116-117 mph with the current setup "dialed". Until I get it to that point there's no sense in throwing any more power at it. It's going to take some extra parts to switch my 5177 kit over to a wet shot for my BBC, such as getting some big 'noids to spray a 250 shot thru. The stock 5177 stuff would work for a good purge setup
Old 04-11-2005 | 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never meant to offend anyone when i said "if you know what your doing". What i meant by that was if your not familar with nitros learn about it before you apply it ..... and what i stated about installed properly was make sure your tune and other stuff are not just half *** - safety checks installed the whole 9 yards. Nitros is pretty straight forward..well so is loading a muzzleloader

I personaly intend to run nitro/supercharger combo In A few yrs (not with my vert).
Old 04-14-2005 | 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

There's a couple inherent "issues" you must overcome when putting a nitrous kit on a 'vette. The biggest is the WOT switch. Since the throttle is electronic, its not so easy to mount a WOT switch -- so many folks put it on a button. Most folks also have a hard enough time just driving a six speed without adding a manual nitrous button to the mix. IMHO that's a recipe for disaster.

From the video, it looks like he sprayed at light throttle angle and at low RPM -- possibly right out of the gate. That's almost a guaranteed nitrous backfire.
Old 04-15-2005 | 02:39 PM
Teching In

I started the thread over at CZ28.com. I was 40 feet away from the car in the stands when it blew up, and I talked to a few people afterwards who apparantly knew the Vette's owner. They told me that he had a WOT switch and a window switch(it was a wet kit BTW). However, the window switch wasn't working properly, so he bypassed it and ran solely off the WOT switch. The left lane was hooking fairly well because they had been spraying VHT down for a few of the faster cars. I had seen him run previously in the right lane and he was spinning through second gear. When he lined up for the last time I could hear him bring the RPM's up to ~3-3.5K or so. He dumped the clutch and the car bogged BAD. When it bogged he floored it(I probably would have done the same thing if I WASN'T spraying) and BOOM! I was told he was running a 150 shot, and at ~1,000 RPM that's a lot of fuel and N2O for a 346 ci engine to ingest.
Old 04-18-2005 | 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I feel sorry for the guy. My car and driving, washing, racing it are a huge part of my life. If it were my car, i think i would want people to say " damn dude, sorry " whether then, "what an idiot" or " he should of" **** happens, ive seen bone stock LS1's blow out rear ends and end up in the fence. Im glad he is ok and know he will make a return. I would.

Quick Reply: Why NOT to run a wet shot on an LS1