Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Blown Vete Vid

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Blown Vete Vid

I'm sure everyone remembers the yellow vette at the Great Lakes Speedway? Well here's a vid I found... has some interesting tidbits at the end...

http://www.spdkilz.net/downloads/paf...ownload&id=101
Old 04-25-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Insurance paid for that! How lucky can you be?! I wonder who his insurance carrier is?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Launching!

I don't know... but I'd like to sign on.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

State Farm I think
Old 04-25-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time I've caught fire (twice and I'm not bragging) I was able to jump out and get it put out before the track ever knew what the hell was going. You should carry a fire extinguisher and be prepared to take care of yourself. It was pretty sad how the guys with the extinguisher watched for a few seconds before they got after it.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Cool video!!!!! Amazing insurance will cover it! Glad to see nobody got hurt.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is flipin awesome the insurance company paid for it.And i just happen to have state farm
Old 04-25-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CHarris
Every time I've caught fire (twice and I'm not bragging) I was able to jump out and get it put out before the track ever knew what the hell was going. You should carry a fire extinguisher and be prepared to take care of yourself. It was pretty sad how the guys with the extinguisher watched for a few seconds before they got after it.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing when seeing the video. "Surprise! Something is ON FIRE on a RACE TRACK" (D'oh!).

I've always carried a chemical extingisher in every car that was capable of running hotter - just by nature of the engine. It saved the RoadRunner when a tiny but defective O ring in a brand new carb leaked gas all over the engine and caught fire during a long distance drive, no racing. We had it out before the paint could bubble and only had to replace the carb and a few wires, could have been far worse.

That is a lesson I'll never forget...and considering I was 4 months preggers at the time it kind of sticks with you to err on the side of caution.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

I have only had one car burn to the ground. I emptied 4 fire extinguishers on it to no avail. Only the fire truck could put it out. I was lucky I did not get killed in that one. The fire shot out of a metal wheel well instead of back through the firewall, thank God. That was about 15 years ago but the front of the car is still melted all over the curb where it was creamated.

And I will be switching to State Farm next month.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHarris
It definitely makes you think that if he HAD a fire extinguisher and some quick reflexes there might be the possibility that he could have doused that fire out before it even got to be an issue, and maybe escaped with only a few burnt wires and a bruised ego..
Old 04-26-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This post got me thinking. I wonder if the guys at work could put in a fire system in my car,Like the fire system i use on my front endloader.Saved my bacon a few times. a few hundred dollars now would save my hotrod later.

It uses a foam type system that just hoses everything. once that button is pushed. washes right off.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Suddenly I feel the need to install the fire extinguisher in the car before Friday....
Old 04-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Launching!

You could always put a HALON sysem in there... that'll fix that.