Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Anyone listen to the Buzz?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone listen to the Buzz?

Anyone listen to the Buzz? Robin is Suing the station for Hostility...because of BJ's show! Can you believe that?!...I think she needs to leave the Station, it is a Station for GUYS! (even though she sounds like a man, she isn't one! ) And to think I used to like listening to her and Maynard before BJ came on in the morning... I LOVE BJ and would definately listen to him over her anyday...This just totally ticks me off...She is Worse than the FAA!

Robin Erickson suing the BUZZ

Thursday, May 5, 2005

KQBZ host sues station charging hostility
Robin Erickson alleges gender discrimination

By BILL VIRGIN
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

A longtime Seattle radio host has sued her employer on charges of gender discrimination and creating a hostile work environment because of the behavior of another on-air host at the station.

Robin Erickson, morning co-host on talk station KQBZ-FM (100.7), filed the suit in King County Superior Court against Entercom Seattle LLC, which operates The Buzz and six other stations in Seattle.

Although the suit names Entercom as the defendant, the suit is focused on B.J. Shea, who appears on The Buzz right after the show co-hosted by Erickson and longtime radio partner John Maynard.

Shea, who was not named as a defendant, declined comment.

Robin & Maynard are one of the best-known teams in local radio, starting nearly 20 years ago and appearing on Seattle stations KISW-FM, KXRX-FM and KZOK-FM, before signing a five-year deal at KQBZ-FM in 2003.

The Buzz's promotional slogan is "Radio for Guys," and the suit contends that that is part of the problem.

"The Shea program specifically targets a young male audience," Erickson's suit says.

"The Shea program regularly features verbal attacks on women. These attacks repeatedly and crudely attack women in general and specifically in the workplace, claiming, among other assertions, that women are bad employees whose presence in the workplace is bad for men."

The suit contends that Shea specially mocked Erickson "on the basis of her gender and age" on the air in August. On-air attacks resumed after Shea was disciplined, it adds.

Among other allegations: Shea promoted the nationally syndicated Howard Stern show (which runs on another Entercom station, KISW-FM, at the same time as Robin & Maynard); he criticized another female Entercom employee on the air; station management retaliated against Erickson for filing complaints and complaining that inadequate disciplinary measures had been imposed.

As an example, the suit notes that the Robin & Maynard and B.J. Shea shows share a studio. Shea's staff, the suit says, posted signs on the wall including one reading "All Women are Filthy Lying ******." When Erickson asked station managers to remove the offensive signs, managers removed almost all materials, an action "intended to cause hostility by other employees" toward her, it says.

The suit seeks unspecified damages for "emotional distress, anxiety, humiliation and embarrassment" as well as medical and legal expenses.

In its response to the suit, filed in Superior Court, Entercom says that it did discipline Shea and his producer for the remarks in August and that Erickson "has raised certain complaints and concerns," including her unhappiness with the level of discipline meted out. Erickson told management "only the termination of B.J. Shea would satisfy her," the suit says.

Otherwise, Entercom rejects Erickson's assertions, "denies that plaintiff has any cause of action against it and, specifically, denies that plaintiff is entitled to any relief whatsoever on the basis of the allegations in her complaint."

Despite the possible awkwardness the suit poses at KQBZ, "the shows are going on as usual," said Noreen McCormack, Entercom's vice president of human resources.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Uuumm, isn't that the politically incorrect (and totally hilarious) station up there? The one where that BJ dude basically caps on women for his whole 4 hours or whatever? Why she should or would give a **** is beyond me, she gets off work as he is starting and no one makes her listen to his show I wouldn't think.........

Besides, "all women ARE filthy lying ******"

and I love them for it (except my ex-wife).
Old 05-05-2005, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL Rott.

Naw the BJ Shea show actually is for Married people believe it or not. I must admit his opinions about the way women do business are pretty spot on 99% of the time. HE just has the ***** to point them out

Since Robin and mainard have gotten there BJs show has taken many hits because of people kissing her ***.

The was was a has been that was replaced by Bob , Spike and Joe (The Bob Rivers show)when they took the moral High ground and terminated there own employment at 99.9. A side note is Bob and BJ are god friends.

I have always been puzzled why they took the R&M show on at the buzz save for the fact that they had nothing else. they do not fit in and they are nothing like any other show on the Buzz.

Bj's show ,even cut to shreads by this crap, is ten times the show the morning show is. There ratings always show it

the basis for almost all the shows on the buzz is to target men and not be the usual pansy *** stuff house wifes listen to in the seattle area...they do a good job of it
Old 05-05-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, that's him! He's not as bad as Tom Leykis (comes on after BJ), so I wonder why she didn't go after him too? She knew when she started there that this was a Man's Radio station..It's targeted for men and it used to be a lot better before she started there a couple years ago...I hope she just gets ran right out of that courtroom and the Station and that the Station can get back to the way they used to be...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
LOL Rott.

Naw the BJ Shea show actually is for Married people believe it or not. I must admit his opinions about the way women do business are pretty spot on 99% of the time. HE just has the ***** to point them out

Since Robin and mainard have gotten there BJs show has taken many hits because of people kissing her ***.

The was was a has been that was replaced by Bob , Spike and Joe (The Bob Rivers show)when they took the moral High ground and terminated there own employment at 99.9. A side note is Bob and BJ are god friends.

I have always been puzzled why they took the R&M show on at the buzz save for the fact that they had nothing else. they do not fit in and they are nothing like any other show on the Buzz.

Bj's show ,even cut to shreads by this crap, is ten times the show the morning show is. There ratings always show it

the basis for almost all the shows on the buzz is to target men and not be the usual pansy *** stuff house wifes listen to in the seattle area...they do a good job of it
That's what I listen to when I am visiting...........ooohhh, won't be saying that anymore.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

LOL we can't wait for you to show up man!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL we can't wait for you to show up man!
Aaawwwwww

Wait, should I be worried?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Aaawwwwww

Wait, should I be worried?
ONLY if you insist on being slow
Old 05-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Talking

aheh! This is kinda sad but I really look forward to listening to the BUZZ and B.J. O'shea when I come up to the Seattle area. B.J. Aday!

I see a publicity stunt in the making!

Ken (The infamous Ken whom everyone writes about but no one knows!)
Old 05-05-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Besides, "all women ARE filthy lying ******"

and I love them for it (except my ex-wife).
Hmmm I could tell you some stories about my ex-wife.Another post and a few hrs to bore you.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:20 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That seems so like her to do that... I wish that pair had never come on to The Buzz, Ron and Don were a lot better in the mornings.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
That seems so like her to do that... I wish that pair had never come on to The Buzz, Ron and Don were a lot better in the mornings.
I totally agree! I hope this just totally ruins her show and makes her have to leave it...serves her right...
Old 05-06-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Second Club

Yup but Ron and Don made the mistake of attacking Tom. Hard to beat on the lead guy when he is pulling down the numbers and not get bitt back
Old 05-06-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kcsoz20
aheh! This is kinda sad but I really look forward to listening to the BUZZ and B.J. O'shea when I come up to the Seattle area. B.J. Aday!

I see a publicity stunt in the making!

Ken (The infamous Ken whom everyone writes about but no one knows!)
Duuuuude! Where ya been hiding?! bout time you came out of your cave...you are coming up WHEN?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

The Buzz changed to a 'guys' show after Entercom aquired it - and it rocked to hear everything from women are stupid to manipulative ****'s. It cracked me up to hear some of the callers - even if they were obviously "set ups".

Robin is scrapping for her career. She's old, been to just about every station and should have kept with what she was good at. But noooooooooooooooo, she thought she could hang with the guys because she constantly railed about her PMS days while on the rock stations. LIKE THEY CARE? puleeze

Yep. Publicity stunt and "severance package" that isn't in her contract.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Yep. Publicity stunt and "severance package" that isn't in her contract.

That is what I am thinking!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:59 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z ANGEL
I totally agree! I hope this just totally ruins her show and makes her have to leave it...serves her right...
She apparently wants to get B.J. Shea fired... but given his ratings, and his tenure at the station, I think she's gonna be the one to go.

It is true, though... both Robin and Maynard are pretty old, and their schtick is tired....they've been through pretty much every station in the area that they could go to... I don't see them having a lot more momentum.

Wouldn't doubt that she's trying to get herself a "severance package" so to speak.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep...she's looking at Retirement...BJ's show is Way more popular than hers and if she ran him out, her show would surely go under..like it isn't already...she will never hear the end of this one. It was a very stupid move on her part.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

ONLY if you insist on being slow
My car is slow but that isn't my fault.

I stopped getting notices about updates to this thread after my last post. And it isn't the 1st time.....Now WHY is it that on about every 5th thread or so I post in here, I mysteriously stop getting email notification of new posts????? You guys trying to tell me something?

Originally Posted by slowpokez28
Hmmm I could tell you some stories about my ex-wife.Another post and a few hrs to bore you.
If she is 1/2 the skanky slutty cheap-*** ***** that my ex is.....we might have a lotta stuff in comon. Fortunately I haven't seen or talked to her in over 3 years, so that keeps me happy and outta prison.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If she is 1/2 the skanky slutty cheap-*** ***** that my ex is.....we might have a lotta stuff in comon. Fortunately I haven't seen or talked to her in over 3 years, so that keeps me happy and outta prison.
What is it with ex-wives being skanky slutty cheap-*** ******? All of the ex's you hear about are that way...even my hubby's ex is that way...I guess thats why they are ex's.... and I guess that's why I'm not

Quick Reply: Anyone listen to the Buzz?