Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

What type of fire extinguisher is in your car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005 | 12:56 PM
Banned

Almost lost my 71 challenger to a dash board fire one night. Was driving home when I noticed the smell of burning plastic. Didnt have an extinguisher, this was in the 80's. I Couldnt tell where it was burning but didnt want to get stuck on the road so I sped up to get home quicker. Then I noticed the orange glow coming from behind the head light switch, which was a toggle from factory. Panic hits immediately, I lock up the brakes, theres no one around, and slide it onto the shoulder. I start looking around the car for any liquid I can find to dowse the flames but cant find a fkking thing. I start to run towards a house about 1/4 mile away when I realise the car will be totally engulfed when I get back and I dont have insurance, this is my only car. In the mean time the fire builds. Its now a solid glow and I can see the flames, the plastic is starting to get fully envolved. I have sand at my disposal, I'm on the soft shoulder, but no way to deliver it behind the dash board. I freak out and punch a hole in the dash with my fist as best as possible where the flames are at the light switch and start throwing handfuls of sand into the compartment and dowse the flames. After a few minutes I regain my composure start the car back up and drive home with no lights, a cut hand, and some shattered nerves. I'm getting one for the SS. You just never know... I remember walking down the street when I was a kid and seeing a caddy drive up onto the curve about 50 yds away. The people jump out run into a store and the car starts billowing black smoke from under the hood. It was a brand new cadilac, this was back when they first tried the 4-6-8 selective cylinder engine in the 70's or early 80's? There were a few flaws in them and the recalls hadnt been issue yet! lol
Old 06-13-2005 | 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to have one in my car...I bought it when I had my Mustang I'm not sure where it is now..I'll have to get another...

And I just have to say that in the event of a fire...Any extenguisher is better than nothing.
Old 06-13-2005 | 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Now you guys have me really thinking, its that controllable fire that can be put out if you have a fire extinguisher that can save your car, even you.
Old 06-16-2005 | 09:14 AM
Teching In

Here's a nice set up for 4th Generation Camaro/Firebirds.

Old 06-16-2005 | 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I saw that too. They want $55 just for the bracket (which is 10 bucks less than the one for the Corvette).

I just bought a 2.5# halon 1211 off of ebay for $85. The cheepest I have seen is $110 for the same unit. It has the double strap like what Bill mentioned and I will likely use a front seat mount like the ones pictured until I get a bolt-in cage.

Quick Reply: What type of fire extinguisher is in your car