Default Finally Finished the intercooler

Old 06-12-2005, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not so stealth anymore but oh so sweet
Old 06-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Tech Addict

Wow that looks awesome. I would expect nothing else from seeing the work you do. Most folks would have to pay for it to be installed.

Great job!
Old 06-12-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the car feel any differant/stronger with the new IC ? Have you had a chance to measure the IAT's ? If so how much of a differance did it make over your first IC ? Looks great to me. You're gonna scare the crap outta some FI Honda's running around, I'd like to see a few of those meetings lol !
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man that looks like it could EAT a Honda

Damn Fine job!
Old 06-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

I always wondered, will you have to add alittle more boost to fill the larger volume in the intercooler to sustain the boost level? Or does the BOV just compensate by not releasing air so soon as boost builds? It just makes tons of sense to place the intercooler in that location. Living here on most cool NW days you will really benefit from it. I am jealous as hell! I want one. Well now I know who I can steal some parts off their car.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Pathological Modifier

A Turbocharger's boost level is determined by the waste gate. The wastegate is a valve which bypasses the exhaust around the turbo. The wastegate is controlled by a spring and diaphram. The boost will be the same before and after the the changes.

Ryan
Old 06-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Pathological Modifier

The Blowoff valve relieves the pressure in the intake piping once the throttle blade shuts. By doing this the turbo remains spinning at speed, thus recovering more quickly when the throttle is reopened.

Ryan
Old 06-12-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan K
A Turbocharger's boost level is determined by the waste gate. The wastegate is a valve which bypasses the exhaust around the turbo. The wastegate is controlled by a spring and diaphram. The boost will be the same before and after the the changes.

Ryan

To a point yes. It does take more air to compress to the same boost level. Boost tends to come on softer and make more power when it does due to the cooler charge Many things control boost but in the end boost is just a measure on how restricated a air volume is going through the engine That is why a heads engine may make more then a stock head motor with less boost

In This case the boost "could" actually be lower BUT make more power

Back when we were playing with 2.2 turbo cars it was not un-common to hit termial Turbo speed and frag a turbo after putting a IC on The turbo had to work harder to get the same boost level but more power was made at that point due to the Density of the air delivered.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Looks evil an evil smile.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Pathological Modifier

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
That is why a heads engine may make more then a stock head motor with less boost In This case the boost "could" actually be lower BUT make more power
On a supercharged car yes, Turbo, with a manifold referenced wastegate, no.

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
The turbo had to work harder to get the same boost level but more power was made at that point due to the Density of the air delivered.
Yup.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Actually Ryan, I think Ellis was thinking of the max air through the turbo (CFM)...At some point the turbo would not flow enough air even with the waste gate shut. Luckily from what I'v seen on the LS1 and Stock cam , you can get up to 16lb of boost on the T-60, T-76 hybrid. I would imagine though that some where in the 600RWHP range that turbo combo would max out....So, the question is not if it will, but when will it? Evil hehehe

Besides, Ellis needs a tester to find out how long that 4L60E (with all the good stuff) will last against that hp and tq level......

Oh yeah.....Jim likey....

Jimbob
Old 06-12-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

I do stand by my Statement BTW IN the context I wrote it the statement is true

a Boost guage does not measure air volume just the pressure exerted on the air as it moves through the motor.

Where I was wrong was in the Question Todd wrote "I always wondered, will you have to add alittle more boost to fill the larger volume in the intercooler to sustain the boost level" To this the Answer is yes and no "Yes" you have to add more volume BUT "no" because the Waste gate control does it automaticly

Sorry for the confusion
Old 06-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Tech Addict

It is interesting because I lost boost about 1# accouring to my gauge (tuff to tell exactly it is pretty small) when I changed my intake to the Lingenfelter. The volume is greater with the Lingenfelter, than the ls6 intake. I was planning on my hp and it when down (25 -28rwhp) with the new intake. Then I had to boost it up by changing the crank pulley, the supercharger pulley was getting to small, whch could of caused slipping.

It alway interests me how this effects that an so on.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Todd a possible explanation to that could be that when you replaced the composite intake with an aluminum one you increased the airflow thru the intake reducing the psi slightly because of the increased flow. You also simultanously went from an intake that did NOT readily transfer engine heat into the intake air ( composite ) to one that DID easily transfer engine heat ( aluminum ) into the intake air. Hotter intake air = less power.

Just one possible explanation
Old 06-12-2005, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Yep, that's because on a supercharger you have the same volume of air being pumped in. So, unless you change the efficiency of the engine via timing, cam, exhaust you will only make so much power with so much air per rpm. When you re-pullied, you just added the volume back up and beyond and increased the back pressure (boost) of the engine back to the old levels, by increasing the rpm of the blower. A turbo engine just holds the waste gate longer to achieve the desired boost level....up to a point...discussed above.....

Jimbob
Old 06-12-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimbob
A turbo engine just holds the waste gate longer to achieve the desired boost level....up to a point...discussed above.....

Jimbob
Hence, the reason why turbo motors lose less hp than blower and N/A motors as you go up in altitude. The turbo is allowed to spin a little faster to compensate by a wastegate that is psi referenced.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

All makes sense to me. Always can be more vairables.

Ryan is going to have problems with ice forming on his throttle body with the new intercooler AND the Water/Methanol Injection. What a nice combo.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

HEHE Ryans car is the fastest damn thing I have seen in a while that is for sure! Very Well executed as well

....He just needs that Roll bar now
Old 06-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Tech Addict

He has the experience, his last car only ran a 9.xx. The nice thing is he buils his own cars, bottom up.