Z28 has a broke ass!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005 | 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

good call jason.

You might sacrifice a little comfort on the street but at the strip
Old 07-21-2005 | 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

And of course, Ellis & Dan were saying can't lift on the hard shifts at the track, because a locker will torque steer some on decel/quick accel... so I guess I really gotta drive the Sardog way when racing.
Old 07-21-2005 | 06:10 PM
Banned

I want to check out your setup when you get it all put back together because i am buying my rearend in december and haven't decided which route to go. Hell the car is still my daily driver so i can't go too crazy.

But 4.30's and a locker are what im looking at as well. Hopefully it works out for you.

Nate
Old 07-21-2005 | 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by taufern
I want to check out your setup when you get it all put back together because i am buying my rearend in december and haven't decided which route to go. Hell the car is still my daily driver so i can't go too crazy.

But 4.30's and a locker are what im looking at as well. Hopefully it works out for you.

Nate
Cool... anytime man. The one thing I don't have to worry about is daily driving... I drive my car maybe once or twice a week, so I can live with just about anything. The only problem is that my wife and I are only one broke CR-V away from having to deputize the Camaro into daily driving duty, so its still gotta be somewhat streetable.

I need a truck or something this fall/winter in a serious way... as much as I would love to go with a nice stroker/nitrous setup, buying a truck's gonna probably win out the battle of finances.
Old 07-21-2005 | 06:32 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
The only problem is that my wife and I are only one broke CR-V away from having to deputize the Camaro into daily driving duty, so its still gotta be somewhat streetable.
teh Honduh will never break!
Old 07-21-2005 | 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
And of course, Ellis & Dan were saying can't lift on the hard shifts at the track, because a locker will torque steer some on decel/quick accel... so I guess I really gotta drive the Sardog way when racing.
I never noticed that when i was street driving, Althougth i shift on the street just a tad slower than when i race.

It's all about getting through those gears
Old 07-22-2005 | 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

I think if you let Ellis work his magic on the ol' M6, many of your shifting issues will disappear too. I can't wait to see your beast once this all gets taken care of. Consistent 11s!

Let us hope the rest of us can learn from your heartache on this. I am NOT dissing you Jason, but I think if Ellis & Dan had worked on your car the first time, they might have found all this & saved you a bunch of time & money. And I'm not saying Shaun doesn't know his **** either. But Ellis & Dan have a tendancy to look past the symptom & find the root cause. Which is why they will be the only guys I let work on my drive train.....
Old 07-22-2005 | 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Well, the rear end was serviceable until the McLeod clutch... so that wasn't anyone's fault. The rear end lasted pretty much as is since I bought it over a year ago. That clutch is just way too much impact for a limited slip diff... so the locker will fix that.

As for the shifting issue, that I can definitely agree with you on. Had I listened to Ellis in the first place, got the right clutch, had him set up his choice of clutch, I wouldn't have run into half the issues I did... hell, I wouldn't have bought 2 other clutches before that.

But I'd also have had to buy a locker a few months ago rather than now...
Old 07-22-2005 | 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Oh I know, and I wasn't trying to flip you ****. That's the thing about race cars, no matter who builds it or what precautions you take, there is still the chance that something will break. When you think about what you are asking the car to do:

Propell 3800lbs of steel from a dead stop to 60mph in ~3 seconds, 1320 ft in 12 sec flat, with 500 ft lbs of tq & 500 hp trying it's damndest to rip things apart

It's amazing they don't break every other time down the track.

My point was that is why we need to hang around people like Ellis, Ryan, Danny & Don B etc....AND listen to what they say. They have been there. Being a mechanic is a science. Building a race car is an art.
Old 07-22-2005 | 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Propell 3800lbs of steel from a dead stop to 60mph in ~3 seconds, 1320 ft in 12 sec flat, with 500 ft lbs of tq & 500 hp trying it's damndest to rip things apart

It's amazing they don't break every other time down the track.
Heh... it's funny you should say that. When I talked to Dan after he made his assessment, I asked him, "So what do you recommend that will take the punishment I'm dealing out to the car?" He said simply, "A spool."

Since that wasn't an option as I still drive the car on the street now and then, we settled on the next best thing... the locker, being the compromise between true strip and true street.

Believe me... there aren't many people in this world I would trust to effect repairs on my car without me worrying a ton about it. Ellis and Dan are two of them for sure. I'm totally comfortable with their suggestions and their work... as you said, they've been there done that a million times, so I try to take what they say and soak it up.
Old 07-22-2005 | 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

I still think you should run what I had in my 63 Nova wagon. An Olds rear end with 5.86s & 4 square blocks of steel for spider gears. That baby would flat hook both tires at the exact same rate! And the Olds difs are every bit as strong as a 9" Ford......
Old 07-22-2005 | 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Gah... the Locker only comes in a 3 series carrier, so I can't get 4.30s. It'll be 4.10s again, since I'm just not ready to run a 4.56 on the street or on the 26" ET Streets I have to run the rest of the year.

Maybe next year I'll go with a set of 4.56s if the funds allow for some 28" slicks and new 15" Convo Pros in the rear.