Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Might sell the Z for a MB.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005 | 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Might sell the Z for a MB.

I bought Jacquie a Kompressor and I am impressed to say the least. The quality is WAY better than ANYTHING that GM has to offer. Plus the dealer was a pleasure to deal with. In and out, treated like a king, plus spotless service bays. I have never had my *** kissed like that when buying a new car. Anyway, those AMG E55's are impressive. After driving her car for several miles I could tell it was better built than my vette. It hurts to say it but my car might be a little faster but it sure as hell aint better. Then comes the resale issue. I think MB is building some of the best looking cars today too. So the saga continues with me.
Old 08-04-2005 | 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

I'll trade you straight up.. We can do it tomorrow at work, but only if you can drive my car without stalling it
Old 08-04-2005 | 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

You do and I am on a flight to kick your ***..

Wait till you see the first repair bill on the benz, My budy has one and i just cost him 1300$ for a braqke job

Don't do it eric.
Old 08-04-2005 | 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sardog46

Wait till you see the first repair bill on the benz, My budy has one and i just cost him 1300$ for a braqke job

Don't do it eric.
Save your money and mod that Z, whuss.
Old 08-04-2005 | 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sardog46

Don't do it eric.
I will still park next to you.
Old 08-04-2005 | 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

There's no question they're better cars, but buy it for the right reasons. If you're impressed with MB service, wait until you go to a Lexus dealer. They put MB to shame. Talk about excellence.

And as mentioned above... MB repairs are bank.

But I like MBs - My father in law has a S-600 (the V-12 monster) and it just kicks butt as a luxury powerful car.

And there is no way to deny it, you're treated different when in a new benz. The vette still carries that middle-age stigma. I know I know.... it hurts but it's true.... I love the vets, but I'd have a Benz in a heart bit if I could afford one, including cost of ownership.
Old 08-04-2005 | 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

MB has made some recent changes that left me thinking. the only thing that you used to have to pay for when it came to any type of service was your tires. EVERYTHING else was covered. BMW is the same way. My father has a new 745i and the onlything he has to pay for is tires. Brakes, oil, and everything else is included in the service. Not mention he also got a 100K mile warranty.

MB as of last year no longer covers everything. I found this out 2 weeks ago looking at one for my mother. And considering the cost of any replacement parts or any service work I lost interest in MB. Anything that goes wrong and your out BIG $'s. Thats why you find alot of MB cars that only have a little over 30K on the clock. Warranty ran out and no one wants to eat the service costs.

No argument about build quality. But considering what you pay for even thier bottom tier car, the quality better be there. Another thing that gets me about MB is the advertising. Cars are advertised in the high 20's (bottom tier cars) and when you go into the dealership and ask for that specific car and actually see it you find that it has cloth seats, power NOTHING, 8 track and lucky if it has any trim upgrades. Then once you throw a coule options on it, BAM your pushing the 40K mark for a small sedan. Kind of the old "Ohhhhhh, you want windows with the car, that will be an extra 2,000.00.

I love the cars, and the build quality is there, however I dont like the moves they have made with thier service contracts and if you want it to be a "decent" MB you have to option the **** out of it driving the cost out of site for what your getting.

MB does have a lease program on the new 4 door sedans that isnt bad though. High 200's/month. But unless you are writing it off as a corporate expense your only shooting yourself in the foot with a lease.
Old 08-04-2005 | 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Warranty on mb's is 4yrs 50k but yeah I liked mercedes until they axed that...
Old 08-04-2005 | 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think anyone can argue the AMGs & SL600s etc etc aren't nice cars. But for the money, what else could you have? And what do you need? I guess that is why I will probably never own an exotic car. I look at what I could buy & build myself for a lot less money, and then get the 60" plasma TV & take the wife to Hawaii to boot, and I'm right back to owning one of the Generals cars.
Old 08-04-2005 | 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

My ex of 4+ years and one of our good friends both worked for MB in Beverly Hills..........sit down with me sometime if you want to hear the truth behind the cars/dealerships/etc

Nightmares to own.....**** goes wrong 6, 7, 8 times and then they just give up on fixing it. "Software" issues come up and wipe out half your electronics for 6 weeks...........they are awesome cars, but unless you are very wealthy and can afford to have it in the shop about 30% of the time, I wouldn't recommend getting one.

Just my experience and $.02
Old 08-04-2005 | 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rottluver
My ex of 4+ years and one of our good friends both worked for MB in Beverly Hills..........sit down with me sometime if you want to hear the truth behind the cars/dealerships/etc

Nightmares to own.....**** goes wrong 6, 7, 8 times and then they just give up on fixing it. "Software" issues come up and wipe out half your electronics for 6 weeks...........they are awesome cars, but unless you are very wealthy and can afford to have it in the shop about 30% of the time, I wouldn't recommend getting one.

Just my experience and $.02
Save your money for the 07 ZO6.
Old 08-04-2005 | 05:17 PM
Loves to change spark plugs
20 Year Member

semi-off-topic
My dad recently commented that MB's quality has dropped noticebly over the past few years. Anyone heard anything about that, or was he smokin' something?

On topic
Personally, I'd own one if I could afford it, but I would then own a number of cars to play with. I know I would not have any MB and drive it like I drive the T/A. It would not survive and cost hella lot to keep up at my abuse level. So in my mind there would be no point in having it as a replacement to a ZO6 or the T/A, but as an addition.

Anywho, good luck and if you do go after it I hope it is all you expect it to be!
Old 08-04-2005 | 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 97BlackT\A
semi-off-topic
My dad recently commented that MB's quality has dropped noticebly over the past few years. Anyone heard anything about that, or was he smokin' something?

On topic
Personally, I'd own one if I could afford it, but I would then own a number of cars to play with. I know I would not have any MB and drive it like I drive the T/A. It would not survive and cost hella lot to keep up at my abuse level. So in my mind there would be no point in having it as a replacement to a ZO6 or the T/A, but as an addition.

Anywho, good luck and if you do go after it I hope it is all you expect it to be!
Their QC goes up & down depending on what time of day it is........I drove an SL65 (V-12 Twin Turbo AMG) last year and it was nice....ok, it was amazing, but not worth the $200k price tag by any stretch of the imagination. I have several friends (including the ones who work/ed for MBZ) and their cars (S500, E500, CLK320 & E320) had hit & miss QC problems.........just depended.......and it wasn't anything regular, just whatever, whenever would go wrong and sometimes they would go 8 or 9 months with no issues whatsoever........for the price it costs to get into one, I would expect a LOT more quality then you actually get.

Now some people have no issues and love their cars, but consider this, the Beverly Hills dealership's service dept was open from 6AM until 4AM.......yes, it was only closed 2 hours a day and they were busy ALL 22 hours every day!!!!
Old 08-04-2005 | 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rottluver

Beverly Hills dealership's service dept was open from 6AM until 4AM.......yes, it was only closed 2 hours a day and they were busy ALL 22 hours every day!!!!
Well a MB in Beverly Hills is like having a bicycle from Fred Meyer.
Old 08-04-2005 | 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ram-it
I bought Jacquie a Kompressor and I am impressed to say the least. The quality is WAY better than ANYTHING that GM has to offer.
Yeah well at least GM can spell "Corvette"
Old 08-04-2005 | 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Dude that E55 AMG or whatever it is, is no freakin joke. If I could afford to spend another 40 I'd consider it....No actually I wouldn't I'd buy a CTS-V and keep the vette. A car is a car you get used to it. I love BMW's and obviously could afford one, they are much nicer cars, but its a trade off. Plus I HATE letting anyone work on my car, so dealer service means nothing to me.
Old 08-04-2005 | 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tru_ice
Save your money for the 07 ZO6.
Now THERE is a car worth the hi price tag!!! And cheaper than the AMG I'd guess.
Originally Posted by Racehead
Yeah well at least GM can spell "Corvette"
KOREVET?
Old 08-04-2005 | 09:32 PM
Launching!

my dad bought a E430, and it was no slouch either, and a damn nice car. if you decide to sell ur z let me know i am in the market for one here realy soon. and urs is exactly what i want.
Old 08-04-2005 | 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ram-it
I bought Jacquie a Kompressor and I am impressed to say the least. The quality is WAY better than ANYTHING that GM has to offer. Plus the dealer was a pleasure to deal with. In and out, treated like a king, plus spotless service bays. I have never had my *** kissed like that when buying a new car. Anyway, those AMG E55's are impressive. After driving her car for several miles I could tell it was better built than my vette. It hurts to say it but my car might be a little faster but it sure as hell aint better. Then comes the resale issue. I think MB is building some of the best looking cars today too. So the saga continues with me.
A guy driving a kompressor hit me doing maybe 5 mph and his nose was taken out pretty good..I personal have never seen a gm product wrinkle up like that at 5 mph .I was in the durango hit my tire ..Side note I loved seeing that it made me happy as a clam.He was a arrogant fool so it made me feel even better.
Old 08-06-2005 | 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Eric, I agree with the rest of the board. Save your money and get an '06 Z06. If you want something expensive, sporty and exotic, there is always the Lamborghini. Park Place has a few right now and I am sure they would deal with you since you bought the Z from them.