Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Header swap from hell lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005 | 06:32 AM
12 Second Club

Default Header swap from hell lol

Ok so today Rob (CATransAM) and I went over to Don Berry's to swap his headers and my stock exhaust. We started about 11:30ish and I am just now getting home at 4:30am... I have to say don is an awesome host and I'm very thankful for his hospitality.

Stock exhaust came out and went in like a breeze except for the over the axle pipe as we had to cut it and don welded em.

The SLP headers though...

Getting them out was a pain in the ***, and getting them back in wasn't so easy either (but easier since we had an idea of what we had to do).

Only other hang up was a couple of the pass motor mount bolts on Rob's car didn't want to go back in so he has to go see shawn about that. We broke one hammer and had to replace rob's oil filter. Oh and I forgot to tighten the I-pipe clamp and the bolt wiggled loose on 522 oh well I'll get it fixed.

Thanks agian Don for the hospitality and thank you Rob for the headers.

Now... time to sleep... I have to waked up and go to work in 2 hours.

Last edited by rookiels1; 08-04-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2005 | 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok the big million dollar question how does that bad boy sound now?
Old 08-04-2005 | 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowpokez28
Ok the big million dollar question how does that bad boy sound now?
Awesome cept for that damn clamp rattling around but that'll get fixed come payday. little raspy cuz of the ORY but nothin I can't handle...
Old 08-04-2005 | 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dang, sounds like you guys had a heck of a time trading parts.. I'm glad you got it though..and I'm betting you like the new sound I have SLP Shorties on my car and just love them
Old 08-04-2005 | 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Don is one HELL of a nice guy! And one damn sharp mechanic too. I trust you guys are going to remember this.....pretty amazing really. Anyway, I'm glad you got it taken care of.
Old 08-04-2005 | 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Don is one HELL of a nice guy! And one damn sharp mechanic too. I trust you guys are going to remember this.....pretty amazing really. Anyway, I'm glad you got it taken care of.
Yeah Don is awesome... he stayed up with us to weld the mufflers on even until 3:30 in the morning...

And yeah it's definately an attention grabber now... Already had a few people try and race lol.
Old 08-04-2005 | 09:36 PM
Launching!

yea Don was a hellofa host, i broke a spark plug wire, and he was gracious enough to make me a new one, I owe him big time, hopefully next time we meet we wont be out till 3:30 in the morning, and doing something less.... scaring.
Old 08-04-2005 | 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Don has played host for so many mod parties, for so many people it's unreal. He's really a rare individiual. Alot of people owe him a few favors. As for me I can hardly stay up past midnight anymore lol !
Old 08-05-2005 | 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Josh, is your car lowered at all? I heard those SLP's will scrape if you are too low given their "unique" shape/design compared to say, the Kooks or QTPs.......just curious how they fit.

And congrats on getting the swap done. This Don guy sounds like one helluva great dude.
Old 08-05-2005 | 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

no my car isn't lowered, and you can see the vast loss in ground clearance mostly on the pass side... their... "unique" shape/design also made them a pain in the *** to install... had to unbolt the motor mount and jack up the pass side of the motor as high as we could go to force the thing in there...

Next time I'm definately going with a set of kooks or something, but for the price I'm not gonna complain.
Old 08-05-2005 | 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rookiels1
no my car isn't lowered, and you can see the vast loss in ground clearance mostly on the pass side... their... "unique" shape/design also made them a pain in the *** to install... had to unbolt the motor mount and jack up the pass side of the motor as high as we could go to force the thing in there...

Next time I'm definately going with a set of kooks or something, but for the price I'm not gonna complain.
Yeah, I had heard they were a bitch cuz they drop so low as opposed to extending out further back from the motor....but yeah, for free, that is hard to say no to. Just watch out for speed bumps and sharp driveway climbs. (Something I have to do daily with my duals. )

I have to admit, both the set of Kooks and my QTPs that a friend & I installed were not really all that hard. Biggest nightmare was geting the car safely and securely off the ground high enough to slide them suckers in there.........like almost 3 feet.
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:45 AM
Teching In

I'm looking to get a pair of SLP headers as well. I need to get theses darn stock manifolds off my LT1.Let me know the next time you guys hook up.

Quick Reply: Header swap from hell lol