Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

wow READ this.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rottluver
These are awesome cars but once you start upgrading (modding) you gotta keep up with the stock parts that you will be inevitably wearing out/killing as the mods progress.........all part of the fun of having this for a hobby/passion.
Oh, and I'm becoming WELL aware of the limits of drivetrain parts...
Old 08-05-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Junkie

hows the tranny handle HP?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
tranny handles the HP just fine... what puts the tranny and other various drivetrain components at risk is a fat sticky launch like you got rear ended by a dump truck.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

lol i bet .... im in love with these cars now
Old 08-05-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

tranzor you got your stock rear with an 11 sec car??
Old 08-05-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

tranzor you got your stock rear with an 11 sec car??
Oh hell no... stock rear went "bye-bye" around the 12.7 mark. stock 10 bolt with 4.10 gears, one launch at 3k rpms on Nitto drag radials and the ring gear was missing more teeth than my grandma.

In fact, my car just got done getting a Detroit Locker and a fresh set of gears in my 12 bolt rear end... cuz I blew the spider gears in the Eaton heavy duty posi I had in there before. So I'm breaking even the aftermarket stuff...

I'm telling you... just like drugs kids. Traction KILLS.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

drugs dont kill!!!!!!! well **** alteast your hooking up good....well i still HAVE TO GET THE CAR before i can buy these mods...so well see how everything is
Old 08-05-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guess so its definitly a bad *** car my camaro just looks mean and sounds mean i love it and ill miss it
Like Ellis said.........I miss my old 3rd Gens as well....if I had a buck for every time I wished I HAD NOT sold one of my old F-Bodies (I am on my 10th) I would be a rich man.........I am on my fourth 4th-Gen, I had three 3rd Gens, two 2nd Gens and one 1st Gen.....weird how that worked out eh? I just realized it after I typed it.......go figure.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Oh, and I'm becoming WELL aware of the limits of drivetrain parts...
Jason, you stay the HELL AWAY from my car.

What Tranzor said plus if you are keeping it around 350 rwhp and not using slicks or drag radials, it should last you fine........after the rear end, I would say the clutch is the weak point, but it isn't a POS by any means IMHO. It is the same one in the Z06's after all.
drugs dont kill!!!!!!! well **** alteast your hooking up good....well i still HAVE TO GET THE CAR before i can buy these mods...so well see how everything is
(I hope I don't sound like I am ragging on you, cuz that is NOT my intent) but another thing to remember, is that for the $$ you will have to spend, your LS1 will prolly have some miles on it and so you want to have it looked at professionally by someone who actually knows LS1 engines (NOT a GM mechanic) to ensure it will last you for quite a while so you are not stuck adding a rebuild to the cost of your purchase.........these motors are all aluminum and don't handle heat/stress/etc as well as some iron blocks. Don't get me wrong, they are phenomenal motors, just gotta watch out for the temp and cooling system is all.

So far, mine has been a prince.......I run a 160 thermo and have a manual dual speed fan switch, just in case, but I have never needed it. <knocks on wood>

Some drugs do kill....but most just make you stupid and a burden to society.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Junkie

i dont consider....something...a drug....BUT thats besides the point!!! yah i would have my uncle check it out and hed probably buy it in San Fran. hes the one that bought me my z28 and its never had any major problems hes an awesome mechanic and gear head so well see....but id miss my camaro so much
Old 08-06-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Veteran

i dont consider....something...a drug....BUT thats besides the point!!! yah i would have my uncle check it out and hed probably buy it in San Fran. hes the one that bought me my z28 and its never had any major problems hes an awesome mechanic and gear head so well see....but id miss my camaro so much
One thing to keep in mind... not saying this applies to your uncle, but it applies to a lot of guys who know SBCs backward and forward... when it comes to LS1s, those same SBC guys' knowledge just doesn't seem to apply. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've heard SBC guys tell me that "will make my car fast, blah blah blah"... and I'm like "dude, stay the **** away from my car!"

Guys like Ellis are the best to talk to... dude lives LT1s and LS1s.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Jason, you stay the HELL AWAY from my car.
Awwww... but why? I think you should let me put my ET Streets on your car, do a nice 6k clutch dump and powershift it down the track just to see how it holds up.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

lol i know but he owns an LS1, 3 3rd gens, a 72(?) vette...and hes the smartest person ive met that knows about cars its insane. actually tonights hes coming up to fix my dads 67 impala
Old 08-07-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Awwww... but why? I think you should let me put my ET Streets on your car, do a nice 6k clutch dump and powershift it down the track just to see how it holds up.
Put down the wrench and step away from my car BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Sideways, I would let you drive my car if you want to get initiated in the LS1 crowd. That would give you an idea before you go doing something that would cause you to miss your Camaro too much. After reading this thread, are you sure you really want to get rid of your car? It sounds more like you should keep it and not even worry about an LS1 for about 10 more years.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

i love my car and it would suck getting rid of it....but heres an update...my brother whose living with us now just got a i think 99 z28 from my uncle same uncle who sold me my car and now my brother says he doesnt like it....its a 99 (i think) z28, automatic with 36,000 original miles all stock and is sitting right next to my car and i might have a chance to swap cars...heres some pics of the exact one in front of my huose
Old 08-19-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Default pics of the z28

its got GTO rims
Attached Thumbnails wow READ this.....-camaro.jpg   wow READ this.....-camaro-006.jpg   wow READ this.....-camaro-008.jpg  
Old 08-19-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

you can see my car in one of the pics too cute isnt it?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

I think once you go 4th gen you won't even want to remember your 3rd gen, not that your car is bad or anything, it's just the thechnology and improvements that made the 4th gens better cars overall.

Then, after you drive a supercharged Benz, the 4th gens will feel like garbage hehehe... well, not really the V-8 rumble is what keeps me hooked on these cars. And of course the looks, the power and the freeway freedom you get with those engines.

You can get to 80, 90 mph right now -- that's what I love about my 4th gen - even before Ellis installed all the goodies the car was a blast to drive.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

anyone think its nice? it needs to be cleaned

Quick Reply: wow READ this.....