Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

NW Run what ya Brung List

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, for some reason the GTOs under-perform when you consider they have the same basic setup. My TA dynoed higher tho when it was stock, and yet came rated 30hp lower. It also ran a second faster with 3.23 gears, and the GTO hs 3.40s. But when you see what Ryan did, and Ellis & I did to the GTOs with just an air filter & a quick tune, I think the GTOs can run low 13s without much effort.

But the fact is an IRS is designed for corners, not drag racing. You can make it work, but like Ryan said, it's got too many moving parts. And it flexes a lot too, which as we all know results in power loss. Any energy not spent going forward.....
Old 10-11-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, lets see, EXACT same engine yet GM Rates the F-body lower... Its all in sales my friend. The Vette and F-body cars have the same HP. I would say that the F-body actually has a better air intake system but the vette has a better exhaust sytem so its pretty much a draw in engine HP/TQ. Gm rated the F-body lower so it wouldn't upset the vette guys. Plain and Simple. The Vette does have more drive-train loss though, any time the rotation has to change direction, its a loss. CV joints/U-joints, Count those as the prime contributor. F-body 2, Vette 4, Easy math.
I agree, and basically have been saying the same for some time. Look at the engine specs-same. It's the factory rating, Corvette has allways been the top performer, so...

Sounds like someone needs to ride in the baby seat.............

Just having some fun with you Ryan.
God, I laughed my azz off. (sorry Ryan)

Robert
Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Pathological Modifier

Personnaly I don't see his point at all? I wasn't complaining, I was just noting how you guys would get your panties in a buch if GM rated the F-Bodies and the Vettes at the same HP level.

Ryan
Old 10-11-2005, 11:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Interesting

To the APS crew, I wasn't aware that it was a test of the drivetrain! I still don't agree with that kind of driving around those areas. Thats why tracks are made isn't it?..........that and to legally have some fun.
Fair comment. It's sometimes difficult if not impossible to simulate real road conditions on a smooth flat race track. We at APS always look for very quiet roads with normal undulating off cambered road conditions (real everyday road conditions), that said one needs to be extremely careful and very aware of other other cars and wild life in the area.

Thanks

Peter
Old 10-11-2005, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Personnaly I don't see his point at all? I wasn't complaining, I was just noting how you guys would get your panties in a buch if GM rated the F-Bodies and the Vettes at the same HP level.

Ryan
Don't see who's point?

I personally think you are correct with the ratings. However they are two completely different platforms built for different reasons........ I was just weirded out by the simple fact that the GTO's aren't performing like I would have thought or hoped they would. The IRS (I think) is the culpret. Damn nice cars though!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by peter@aps
We at APS always look for very quiet roads with normal undulating off cambered road conditions (real everyday road conditions), that said one needs to be extremely careful and very aware of other other cars and wild life in the area.

Thanks

Peter

I never thought of that. Good point...........that's why I don't own a performance shop building turbos and high hp vehicles.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I never thought of that. Good point...........that's why I don't own a performance shop building turbos and high hp vehicles.
That's cool. I just wanted you guys to know that we are very careful when testing and that our engineers need real world road conditions to test all aspects of the car/twin turbo system to make sure we find and rectify any potential problem that could arise from harsh road conditions (rough, bumpy, flooded road conditions).

Peter
Old 10-12-2005, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

That's cool. I just wanted you guys to know that we are very careful when testing and that our engineers need real world road conditions to test all aspects of the car/twin turbo system to make sure we find and rectify any potential problem that could arise from harsh road conditions (rough, bumpy, flooded road conditions).

Peter
So where was that filmed? It looked like Australia or something. They were driving on the other side of the road.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Peter
Peter,

Have you guys considered taking one of your test mules to an Open Road Race event? That would give you the 'real world' road conditions you are looking for, in a relatively safe environment, with some press if you perform well. Just a thought....

Mark
Old 10-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Robert56
I agree, and basically have been saying the same for some time. Look at the engine specs-same. It's the factory rating, Corvette has allways been the top performer, so...

God, I laughed my azz off. (sorry Ryan)

Robert
Especially the RED ones!
Old 10-12-2005, 07:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Peter,

Have you guys considered taking one of your test mules to an Open Road Race event? That would give you the 'real world' road conditions you are looking for, in a relatively safe environment, with some press if you perform well. Just a thought....

Mark
We often hit the race track for full load engine testing though this imho does not simulate typical roads which tend to be undulating with pot holes and off cambered road conditions. I prefer quiet country roads which offer variable road conditions for real testing, thanks for your thoughts in any event.

Peter
Old 10-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Launching!

We often hit the race track for full load engine testing though this imho does not simulate typical roads which tend to be undulating with pot holes and off cambered road conditions. I prefer quiet country roads which offer variable road conditions for real testing, thanks for your thoughts in any event.

Peter
That sounds pretty much like what ORR is, save maybe the potholes. Wide open country two lanes, out in the midle of nowhere, closed off for high speed runs against the clock.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Default An H2 timeslip worthy of inclusion

Got a new time for the H2 today and I think it's finally time to put this up on the list...

R/T: .346
60: 2.080
330: 5.815
1/8: 8.917
mph: 79.52
1000: 11.576
1/4: 13.864
MPH: 97.48

Old 10-17-2005, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, that does it, my goal for next year is to beat the BMF!!! 5/100ths of a freakin' second. If only I had been able to get today off.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Crisisman
Alright, that does it, my goal for next year is to beat the BMF!!! 5/100ths of a freakin' second. If only I had been able to get today off.
Hey, man... you gotta have goals... Now you have motivation

I was thinking about it the other day. When I borrowed your helmet at the track there was no way that I could post a faster time that day. It would have been bad karma... LOL I had to wait and do it the right way I guess.

I really don't see you having a problem with getting back in front of the truck.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

so I just realized,
I'm the fastest GTO in the Northwest !!!

and I have the slowest 60'
dose that mean that my car is faster, and I'm just a crappy driver?

I have the MPH by a good bit
Russ
Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KrautBurner

so I just realized,
I'm the fastest GTO in the Northwest !!!

and I have the slowest 60'
dose that mean that my car is faster, and I'm just a crappy driver?

I have the MPH by a good bit
Russ
My Truck 60's better than that crappy GTO
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Pathological Modifier

LOL, you guys! List Updated!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CHarris
My Truck 60's better than that crappy GTO

it should be,

I'm full of wheel hop,
you have all that weight to hold you down (and all 4 wheels going)
Old 10-20-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KrautBurner
it should be,

I'm full of wheel hop,
you have all that weight to hold you down (and all 4 wheels going)

and here come the excuses... LOL

I have nearly double the weight and plenty of traction problems with the front axle... next case LOL

Quick Reply: NW Run what ya Brung List