Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005 | 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I don't dispute the fact that I can make just as much power with a turbo as a supercharger, my concern is with the amount of heat that is poduced with a turbo on a road course.

I mean in drag racing you "might" be pushing it for a minute at a time, and heat build up isn't a concern, but when you're out on a road course for a 20 minute lapping session this becomes much more of a concern. I can just imaging the turbine side of a turbo glowing red hot, burning up the oil in the turbo, bearings siezing, and car going caput.
Is there is so much more excess heat build up with a turbo over a blower? I don't see why there would be but I don't know.

From what I understand you want as much exhaust heat (and consequently exhaust velocity) to go through a turbo as you can get. So having a hotter exhaust temp, as long as the piping/turbo can handle it is a good thing. Then just intercool the intake charge with an effecient turbo/piping and you're good to go.
Old 10-01-2005 | 02:57 AM
10 Second Club

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...php&carnum=422

Nuff said.
Old 10-02-2005 | 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I don't dispute the fact that I can make just as much power with a turbo as a supercharger, my concern is with the amount of heat that is poduced with a turbo on a road course.

I mean in drag racing you "might" be pushing it for a minute at a time, and heat build up isn't a concern, but when you're out on a road course for a 20 minute lapping session this becomes much more of a concern. I can just imaging the turbine side of a turbo glowing red hot, burning up the oil in the turbo, bearings siezing, and car going caput.
Turbos are designed to run under high heat. Obviously hitting an extreme outside the intended operating range of the turbo could damage it, but that would hold true for any part. As quick reference, the winning rally cars have turbos and don't have heat issues, and they run for a tad more than 20 minutes at a time.
Old 10-02-2005 | 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

And there are methods of getting rid of the extra heat. But like belts breaking on super chargers, you need to be aware of it so you can make educated decisions about which system you buy, and try to build it so you don't have issues.

One plus of using an LSx motor is it has a composite intake, so you don't have that heat soak issue that people deal with on other motors with metal intakes.
Old 10-03-2005 | 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
And damn Charlie, a tubo on a 502?! You better look at the rear end catalog Don has. That's going to throw down Pro Stock level torque.
That's the idea. It puts down 580 RWTQ right now so I'm afraid the built, spooled Mosier 12 bolt ain't gonna cut it for long.
Old 10-03-2005 | 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
And there are methods of getting rid of the extra heat. But like belts breaking on super chargers, you need to be aware of it so you can make educated decisions about which system you buy, and try to build it so you don't have issues.

One plus of using an LSx motor is it has a composite intake, so you don't have that heat soak issue that people deal with on other motors with metal intakes.
I guess I'll do a little more reading on turbos. I can probably run some sort of oil cooler going to the turbo, that ought to help out a little. Might have to look into a little higher end oil too (amsoil, royal purple, etc)

Mmmmm...turbo
Old 10-03-2005 | 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

If you can handle the extra 1/4 sec of lag in the spool up, you can mount the turbo in the rear & ventilate it. Not that I like how low an STS hangs, but at least all that extra heat isn't in the engine compartment. The heat + how much harder it is to make a turbo install 'show quality' is why I went with a super charger.

But both make great power, and have issues to work out, AND cost a lot of $!

Quick Reply: Turbo or supercharger