Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Questions about headers..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005 | 09:12 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Okay... fill me in here... who is Randy?
Old 10-06-2005 | 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Okay... fill me in here... who is Randy?
Sorry, thought it had been mentioned before:

Randy's Custom Exhaust
14702 Smokey Point Blvd #3
Marysville, WA 98271
(360) 657-4326
Old 10-06-2005 | 09:51 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Sorry, thought it had been mentioned before:

Randy's Custom Exhaust
14702 Smokey Point Blvd #3
Marysville, WA 98271
(360) 657-4326

Wow, you mean I would get to drive my Formula from North Bend to Marysville with open headers.. LOL
Old 10-06-2005 | 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow, you mean I would get to drive my Formula from North Bend to Marysville with open headers.. LOL
Anybody that does quality exhaust work and is willing to mess with an "off-road" exhaust can do a custom Y for you. Randy's was just a recommendation if you couldn't find anyone locally.
Old 10-06-2005 | 02:17 PM
Launching!

I use the QTP longtubes and have no clearance issues with a 2" drop
Old 10-07-2005 | 02:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Pacesetters do tuck up nicely... mine are actually too close (point up at the floorboard, which makes the y-pipe fit too close) but mine are the older style... the ones they sell now are actually better, they don't point up.

Can't be beat for the money... my suggestion though if you got something like that, buy them uncoated and have Performance Coatings do the thermal coating. Their coating has lasted for me... no rust except for a small spot where my AC condenser drips water on a part of the header that got the coating chipped off where I banged it on something.

And I've had these now for about 20 months... and they still look great. Can't say that for a lot of mild steel headers with other coatings on it.
Old 10-07-2005 | 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

The reason people recommend Randy is he will work on new cars with headers & no cats. MANY places won't touch that setup. Budget in Mt Vernon is the only other place that I KNOW will (where Boyce had his Boom Tube work done). Not only will they do this work, both shops are VERY good!

If you can find a good shop down south Zeke, please post it.

The other nice, unspoken attribute of the Grotty desing headers (& why they cost more) is the tubes are tuned, meaning they are all the same length. This makes them perform better. The exhaust explosions all reach the collector at the same time interval (after the valve opens) to make the scavenging more efficient / balanced. Which is important for race motors.
Old 10-07-2005 | 10:15 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Oh, I won't be finding any shops down south.. I'm not the type to be making my car a guinea pig. I'd rather go somewhere I know does good work than be the one who tests things out in the name of science. Pulling random names out of a hat and trying them just doesn't make me real comfortable.
Old 10-07-2005 | 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Red Cell
I use the QTP longtubes and have no clearance issues with a 2" drop
That's gonna be my choice sometime this winter.
Old 10-07-2005 | 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Oh, I won't be finding any shops down south.. I'm not the type to be making my car a guinea pig. I'd rather go somewhere I know does good work than be the one who tests things out in the name of science. Pulling random names out of a hat and trying them just doesn't make me real comfortable.
Either Randy's or Doug at Budget Towing are the 2 places I recommend. Both are proven to do excellent work at a semi-reasonable price. If you're like me, you'll gladly pay a little extra to ensure that you're happy with the results. I take everything to Budget.
Old 10-07-2005 | 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Zeke, if you don't want to drive your car all that way with open headers, I used AAA (flatbed) to have mine taken to the exhaust shop for my dual exhaust install. I have the 100 mile service so it was free and they don't ask questions or care why you are doing it.
Old 10-07-2005 | 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Zeke I have FLP's with a Corsa Cat Back. With the FLP Y I have the option of running with or without cats remove four clamps pull the cats out and replace with straight tubes. The FLP/Cats/Corsa gives me a nice sound at idle, no drone at all and very loud at WOT. The FLP/No cats/Corsa is pretty close to Marks car Loud, Loud, Loud but still not much drone.

I have also used Randy's on several vehicles and been pleased with his work.
360-657-4326.

Quick Reply: Questions about headers..