Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Help Help Help Anybody

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Help Help Anybody

I was getting the truck ready to go to seattle tomorrow.It needed a thermostat put in it.Well to make a long story short I broke a bolt off flush with the intake manifold.....Does anyone know what kind of drill i should use to drill it out.And or a stud extractor that will do the job....I don't have the time to change out the manifold as it looks like that is what will have to be done if i cant get the damn broken stud out.Any ideas would be helpful
Old 11-10-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of truck
Old 11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

The normal solution is to drill a small hole into the bolt & screw an "easy out" into it & then crank it out. Do you have good access (can you get at it with a drill)?

Mark
Old 11-10-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

98 dodge durango.....I guess it's not really a truck is it LOL

I have to pull the alternator off and all the fun stuff to get a drill in..What kind drill will go thru a hardened Bolt?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any hi speed drill bit should work. (black or gold in color) Go to Sears or the local NAPA or tool store & tell them what you are doing & they can tell you what you need.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would not suggest using an easy out/bolt extractor. Every time I've used those, they break off, and they're made out of tool steel, which is almost imposible to drill through. It probably broke because the intake is aluminum and the bolt is steel, and antisieze wasn't used. The bolt is very hard to get out, and the bolt extractor won't get it done. (I delt with this exact problem on my subaru last week, except the thermostat is on the block not the intake manifold )

I would drill out the bolt, and find the appropriate sized helicoil to fix it.

Good luck. I know what a pain broken bolts are.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIKING
Any hi speed drill bit should work. (black or gold in color) Go to Sears or the local NAPA or tool store & tell them what you are doing & they can tell you what you need.
now this project get from bad to worse I break the freakin extractor off.....damn craftsman tool
Old 11-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpokez28
now this project get from bad to worse I break the freakin extractor off.....damn craftsman tool
Serious? You broke it or are just reacting to the previous post? An easy out should work no problem here, I've used them on tougher bolts than that. The key is to drill your hole straight and not crooked. A hardened bit the right size for the easy out your using should be no problem here. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Banned

Cant you just pull off the intake manifold and use a pair of vise grips to get it out?

Nate
Old 11-10-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes i broke it off actually before Ackattack1 posted his message...and it was broke off flush....then I got a drill a bit bigger so i could do the helicoil thing. then the manifold split the wall between the thermostat housing and the air intake. So i guess i'm buying a new manifold.oh boy i hope my car makes it over the pass. i need a hooters time out

Last edited by slowpokez28; 11-10-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh that sucks!

If I live in your area I would even buy you a pitcher, no one should have that crap happen to them.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Man that sucks! Sorry, I'll quit giving advice.....
Old 11-10-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Man that sucks! Sorry, I'll quit giving advice.....
naw you did fine it was the mechanic that screwed it up.i'm sure...Why do you think that ellis is the only one that touches the camaro.because i will somehow freak i t up......But if you really feel bad i have a puppy with your name on it a real cute teddy bear female.... we call he rsugar
Old 11-10-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh that sucks!

I think the problem with thos bolt extrators is they're too brittle do to the hardening process. The only time I've almost gotten one of those to work was when I tightened the bolt in too tight and poped off the head. If its just stuck already (rust, corrosion, galvanic affect as in this case) they just don't cut it.

That sucks about the manifold.

Do they make any performance manifolds for that? A lot of the time the performance parts are the same if not cheaper than the stock replacement stuff like that. Just a thought since you have to get a new one anyways.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Oh that sucks!

I think the problem with thos bolt extrators is they're too brittle do to the hardening process. The only time I've almost gotten one of those to work was when I tightened the bolt in too tight and poped off the head. If its just stuck already (rust, corrosion, galvanic affect as in this case) they just don't cut it.

That sucks about the manifold.

Do they make any performance manifolds for that? A lot of the time the performance parts are the same if not cheaper than the stock replacement stuff like that. Just a thought since you have to get a new one anyways.
Ya they do make performance parts for it...Naughty is hinting around about just rebuilding it from the bottom up....alot of problems with the motor lately.I think that may be a wise choice..i'm going to go look for a beater car after i get home from seattle.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remove broken off bolts at least once a month or so and for the record my own method for removing broken off seized in place bolts is to take a nut with an ID the same size as the OD of the remaining bolt. Then weld the nut to the bolt. The heat from welding will help to loosen the bolt and the nut makes removing it pretty simple. It does require a welder of course
Old 11-10-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Racehead
I remove broken off bolts at least once a month or so and for the record my own method for removing broken off seized in place bolts is to take a nut with an ID the same size as the OD of the remaining bolt. Then weld the nut to the bolt. The heat from welding will help to loosen the bolt and the nut makes removing it pretty simple. It does require a welder of course
damn damn damn now you post I never even thought of that......... I don't have a welder but i could have gotten one in a matter of mins.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's done problem solved
http://www.high-performance-engines.com/me02.html
Old 11-10-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I'd be looking into a GM crate engine before I bought a Mopar....you see what happened with the first one they put in there
Old 11-11-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Personally I'd be looking into a GM crate engine before I bought a Mopar....you see what happened with the first one they put in there
hehe put my ls1 in it and then go buy a real one for my car

Quick Reply: Help Help Help Anybody