Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

The waiting is over, WS6 is home

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005 | 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I was planning on putting it back to stock.... but I'm undecided now that I've seen it. I have a lot more work than I thought to make this show quality. I'm happy with the car, though. It's definitely cool, and it runs great.
How many times have we heard "I was planning to keep it stock.." Have fun with it, the exhaust sounds like it doesn't want to be kept stock.

Brake rotors are warped. Surprise surprise.

I think the pictures I posted earlier make the interior look a lot worse than it is, it's not really that bad... only real thing that bugs me is that it smells like ******* cologne... BAD... inside. I mean it's really strong. I can smell it on my clothes now.
Those two are a given. What you had was some guy in his late 30's early 40's who still had that retro 70's thing going on with the gold chains and unbuttoned shirt with the most gawdaweful 'cologne'. They also warp the brakes from sticking their head out the window at some gal walking down the street asking if they want a ride.
ppfffft yeah, riiiiiiiiiight

I drove it about 100 miles. Lit the tires off a couple times. You M6 guys are right, with a 6-speed these cars are a burnout waiting to happen.
About time someone said this! And everyone wonders why I prefer a M6 over an auto....

Oh.. and it already has !CAGS on it.
Ellis is right. *poof*

I think I'm probably gonna have to run it at the track once just to see what it does. Not going to make a habit of it, though.

You are kidding, right?

What a great day to get it delivered and it really isn't in as bad shape as you sort of made out to be. The exterior does look a little beat and off color but detail may take care of that - along with the funky gold sparkly decal (another indication of who drove it). Glad it got to you okay and had some time to lit the tires - might as well burn em' off before replacing them
Old 11-25-2005 | 05:09 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by GEARHED
How many times have we heard "I was planning to keep it stock.." Have fun with it, the exhaust sounds like it doesn't want to be kept stock.
Well, the hood baffle has been removed, also.. and there's 8 holes drilled in the bottom of it... For what reason, I'm not sure. Maybe it's where the steer horns mounted to the front.

Here's a pic so you can see what I'm talking about. Two on either side, and 4 in the center.

About time someone said this! And everyone wonders why I prefer a M6 over an auto....
I would prefer it off of the drag strip. But when I am drag racing, I'd rather leave the stick at home and drive a A4 car. Can't beat that consistency.

You are kidding, right?
No, I'm not kidding. Would be nice to just have a time slip on it... wouldn't you at least be curious what it would run?

Besides, I have to carry on my tradition of not owning a car that hasn't made a pass or two down the drag strip. I've taked every car I've owned since 1998 to the track.. and even some I didn't own.

I'm definitely going to dyno it as is... and I'd at least like to make a few TnT passes with it. Not going to bracket race it though. I might pull it out to race if the Formula is hard down, but I'm not going to make a habit of it.

I don't wanna have to start doing the clutch swap game.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 11-26-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2005 | 05:39 PM

Are the Crown Royal stickers realy that bad? I was hoping to hear the whole story about the stickers, they realy do not look like something that was added on by the owner.
Old 11-25-2005 | 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, no... I love the way it sounds. I'm just thinking more from the standpoint that when you're rolling down the highway with the cruise control on, that drone gets a little irritating. But it really sounds mean as hell the way it is.
Mine never bothered me but then again, I play the radio pretty loud too.
But it isn't anything a lil bit of sound deadening wouldn't cure if it bugged you too much.......just something about that rasp of the LM.

I'm definitely going to dyno it as is... and I'd at least like to make a few TnT passes with it. Not going to bracket race it though. I might pull it out to race if the Formula is hard down, but I'm not going to make a habit of it.

I don't wanna have to start doing the clutch swap game.
I would be more worried about that 10 bolt then the clutch.........it will give out far sooner then the clutch will.
Originally Posted by aja342
Are the Crown Royal stickers realy that bad? I was hoping to hear the whole story about the stickers, they realy do not look like something that was added on by the owner.
I have to agree......it looks more like something the original owner's ricer kid added when Daddy wasn't home one weekend.
Old 11-25-2005 | 07:21 PM

I gess if the VIN did not turn up any cool info I gess it was just a dealership trying to capitalise off the purple color and the series cars. I am going to dig a lil more but I doubt if I will find any more than Evyl has. They were still running Trans-Ams in '05 and will most likely still be running them in '06.
Old 11-25-2005 | 08:21 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Mine never bothered me but then again, I play the radio pretty loud too.
But it isn't anything a lil bit of sound deadening wouldn't cure if it bugged you too much.......just something about that rasp of the LM.
I found that out today... I took it out for a 2 hour drive this afternoon, hopefully the rain washed some of the grime off. But this time I brought some music with me, and I played it loud enough that I didn't really even notice the exhaust a whole lot. I am half tempted to just leave it because I REALLY like how it sounds... It sounds really badass... deep and throaty.. not raspy. I think I scared my GF half to death when I started it up today.

I would be more worried about that 10 bolt then the clutch.........it will give out far sooner then the clutch will.
So if it goes I'll take the 10 bolt out of the Formula, put it on the T/A and buy a 12-bolt for the Formula. hehehehe

I have to agree......it looks more like something the original owner's ricer kid added when Daddy wasn't home one weekend.
The story that is the only thing I have to go on is that the dealer said the previous owner told him that he put the decals on the car because he was a fan of IROC racing.

Someone also recently pointed out to me that Crown Royal wasn't the banner sponsor of IROC racing in 1998, True Value was. Crown Royal didn't start sponsoring IROC until 2004. The previous owner bought the car in 2004, which supports the story the dealer told me. I think that alone is enough to convince me that it's not intentional... it was just someone putting stickers on a car.

So it's coming off of there.
Old 11-25-2005 | 08:28 PM

If that is the case then hellz ya tear them off and burn them!
Old 11-25-2005 | 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Beg to differ.
Old 11-26-2005 | 09:22 AM
teh PuRpL3z

I made another discovery about the car this morning... the rear end is NOT stock.

I've been noticing that it really seems to be sucking gas, so it made me wonder if the gear ratio had been changed... so I called up the old gear calculator, and it said that at 60 mph I should be taching 2000 rpm in 5th gear.... but on the highway I was only doing 50 mph at 2000 rpm. Then I threw in 4.10 for the gear ratio, and bingo... there it was. The numbers were dead on what I'm seeing on the road.

So the car has 4.10 gears in it, too.
Old 11-26-2005 | 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Compstall
Beg to differ.
It's not to say that a clutch can't die first, but my experience with these cars has been the rear end is far weaker then the clutch........although I know my clutch (in the '02's) is the same one from the Z06's so maybe that helps me out.........also know a LOT of LS1 F-Body owners who have had rear-end issues/drama long before their clutches have gone out.........
Old 11-26-2005 | 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I found that out today... I took it out for a 2 hour drive this afternoon, hopefully the rain washed some of the grime off. But this time I brought some music with me, and I played it loud enough that I didn't really even notice the exhaust a whole lot. I am half tempted to just leave it because I REALLY like how it sounds... It sounds really badass... deep and throaty.. not raspy. I think I scared my GF half to death when I started it up today.
My ex g/f had bad hearing in her left ear, which was another reason I loved my LM, when she was the passenger, she could barely hear me so we didn't talk much during drives in my car.

So if it goes I'll take the 10 bolt out of the Formula, put it on the T/A and buy a 12-bolt for the Formula. hehehehe
AWESOME idea.

The story that is the only thing I have to go on is that the dealer said the previous owner told him that he put the decals on the car because he was a fan of IROC racing.

Someone also recently pointed out to me that Crown Royal wasn't the banner sponsor of IROC racing in 1998, True Value was. Crown Royal didn't start sponsoring IROC until 2004. The previous owner bought the car in 2004, which supports the story the dealer told me. I think that alone is enough to convince me that it's not intentional... it was just someone putting stickers on a car.

So it's coming off of there.
Sounds groovy to me. Sounds like you got an awesome car too and I am uber-jealous.
Old 11-26-2005 | 06:33 PM
Banned

It's not to say that a clutch can't die first, but my experience with these cars has been the rear end is far weaker then the clutch........although I know my clutch (in the '02's) is the same one from the Z06's so maybe that helps me out.........also know a LOT of LS1 F-Body owners who have had rear-end issues/drama long before their clutches have gone out.........
Well my clutch went first at about 64k miles with 375/375 to the wheels. I've had to do my rear-end since then but it was only the pinion bearing and the rest could have been saved. The bearing went due to improper tightening when the dealer replaced the pinion seal. Or at least thats what Tommy feels about it. Right now I've got decent power and the rear is holding up fine, but I also dont run slicks and launch on the 1/4 mile. The thought being from Tom is that slicks will cause it to break for the traction they'll provide and at my current power level.
Old 11-26-2005 | 07:02 PM
teh PuRpL3z

This is a little better...

Note the "Crown Royal IROC delete" mod has been completed.

Old 11-26-2005 | 07:05 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Old 11-26-2005 | 07:54 PM
Banned

looks good, would look better black , but looks real nice. congrats
Old 11-26-2005 | 08:10 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
looks good, would look better black , but looks real nice. congrats
If it was black, it wouldn't be rare.... so at least for me, that wouldn't be better.
Old 11-26-2005 | 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

I made another discovery about the car this morning... the rear end is NOT stock.

I've been noticing that it really seems to be sucking gas, so it made me wonder if the gear ratio had been changed... so I called up the old gear calculator, and it said that at 60 mph I should be taching 2000 rpm in 5th gear.... but on the highway I was only doing 50 mph at 2000 rpm. Then I threw in 4.10 for the gear ratio, and bingo... there it was. The numbers were dead on what I'm seeing on the road.

So the car has 4.10 gears in it, too.
Looks good Zeke....

Sense you can't count on an accurate reading for rpm down low (atleast via stock tach) I would try this....use 4th gear to get the rpm's up....3250 rpms in 4th at 60mph is 4.1. 3.73 gears would be 3000 rpm at 60........Usually 4.1 gears in stock 10 bolts whine bad....3.73's are pretty quiet....

Looks much better with some cleaning and sticker removal... I likey..
Jimbob
Old 11-26-2005 | 08:55 PM
teh PuRpL3z

I tried it at a number of different speeds, it's definitely 4.10s... and yeah.. they whine. Not bad, but they do whine.
Old 11-26-2005 | 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

I tried it at a number of different speeds, it's definitely 4.10s... and yeah.. they whine. Not bad, but they do whine.
So, you need some cheese with that?

Old 11-26-2005 | 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, it looks much better with a bath and sticker removal

Quick Reply: The waiting is over, WS6 is home