Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Who locally does header installs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005 | 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

I've installed headers on 5 LS1 cars now, and I have yet to do what I would call an easy one. (PPCs, FLPs, Pacesetters, SLPs) Every one of these cars is a little different and all of them have some issue. On my stroker motor we had both motor mounts un-bolted & the motor lifted 2" & the drivers side was still a force-fit. And this is on a set of previously installed headers. But the real PITA is the y-pipe IMO. They all require love.

So, if you are a good mechanic, and have lots of tools, then try it yourself. If not call Ellis.
Old 11-29-2005 | 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I've installed headers on 5 LS1 cars now, and I have yet to do what I would call an easy one. (PPCs, FLPs, Pacesetters, SLPs) Every one of these cars is a little different and all of them have some issue. On my stroker motor we had both motor mounts un-bolted & the motor lifted 2" & the drivers side was still a force-fit. And this is on a set of previously installed headers. But the real PITA is the y-pipe IMO. They all require love.

So, if you are a good mechanic, and have lots of tools, then try it yourself. If not call Ellis.
That was what I really loved about the Kooks/QTP installs.....the only thing we undid was the plug wires........and we did the !AIR mod, but that was planned prior. No undoing anything else, notching anything, cutting or grinding anything. I don't think it could have gone any smoother if we had tried.

And the added bonus on my car was the open header driving.
It was scheduled for a true dual install the next day so I got to fire her up and terrorize the neighborhood for a bit the night before, right after the install.
Old 11-29-2005 | 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

The ONLY headers that installed easy I have done are the Little known Headman Stepped headers Ryan used to run and Slowpoke now runs

Fit was perfect y-pipe was great and they were under $500 if I remember right

Ryan could probably give more info on them
Old 11-30-2005 | 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mid length Macs can be a pain as well. LM in Marysville spent 8 hours putting on my mac header kit. When I picked up the car Mike and one of his employees were both bleeding and their forearms were chewed up bigtime.
Old 11-30-2005 | 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Dang I did not spend nearly that much time doing Howierds Macs. they fit fairly well once they were in though
Old 11-30-2005 | 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie's 02 T/A vert.
The mid length Macs can be a pain as well. LM in Marysville spent 8 hours putting on my mac header kit. When I picked up the car Mike and one of his employees were both bleeding and their forearms were chewed up bigtime.
Ouch, for an experienced shop to do it I wouldn't want to pay for more than 4-5 hours for a header job. I'm sure if you know what you are doing then you will be able to do the job well in the time frame, and charge accordingly. But if they charged you full hourly rate for 8 hours.. dunno
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think they removed anything. Mike said they didn't loosen motor mounts or take anything off. I paid $500. Brad's custom quoted me $1000. to put them in.

LM has probably not installed as many sets of headers on 4th gen f-bodys as Ellis has.

On a side note for Speed Secrets, next year I want to get my T/A tuned for nitrous with a 100 shot, the 75 is in there right now. We will have to get together so you can tell me what else I need to buy so I can spray safely. Spraying out of the hole with just a toggle switch was very exciting, however I don't want to hurt my LS1.
Old 11-30-2005 | 10:55 PM
Banned

Kooks and QTP are totally different companies. Kooks quality control sucks *** and have had a bunch of fitment issues. Just search on here for them. I would never reccomend a kooks product. Plus from my own experience with kooks headers, you couldn't pay me to install them. Go qtp or pay later.

Nate
Old 12-01-2005 | 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Kooks and QTP are totally different companies. Kooks quality control sucks *** and have had a bunch of fitment issues. Just search on here for them. I would never reccomend a kooks product. Plus from my own experience with kooks headers, you couldn't pay me to install them. Go qtp or pay later.

Nate
I know the 2 companies are different but the header design is nearly identical. And like I said, my buddy got a set of Kooks and has had zero problems. Maybe he got lucky?
Old 12-01-2005 | 11:42 AM
Banned

Best fitting header is Stainless Works, mine have been confused for Kooks and don't come back with looking like and performing like because my numbers are what they are. The perform pretty well.

Quick Reply: Who locally does header installs?