Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Who locally does header installs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005 | 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Default Who locally does header installs?

Well I will be trying to get some LTs soon and I'm wondering wheres a good place to get it done at. I would love to do it myself but I don't have access to a lift or an extra pair of hands since I haven't done it before. Also what does anyone know what kind of prices to expect to get the job done? Thanks

Tristan
Old 11-28-2005 | 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Get a hold of Ellis (Twofast4Lv). He has a shop in Monroe.
Old 11-28-2005 | 01:52 AM
10 Second Club

PM Sent
Old 11-28-2005 | 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

I agree, don't hesitate to have Ellis @ Speed Secrets work on your car. The man is thorough & reasonable. Just keep an eye on your radiator cap!
Old 11-28-2005 | 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

how bout a good fairly local tranmission guy?I am taking mine to a guy here locally to build up my 4l60E.Dont know him but i hear hes pretty good.But the cost is staggering!(lol)
Old 11-28-2005 | 04:38 PM
Banned

Ellis is your tranny guy as well.
Old 11-28-2005 | 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

yes we do tranmissions...some of the fastest around. Prices can go high depending on how far you go
Old 11-28-2005 | 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Ellis since you're here I have a question.

Remember when you told me that the cam surge was the cause for that so called "play" I mentioned between the gear box and rear end... So, the thing is that I can feel and hear that clang or that "play" even on higher revs around 2,500rpm when I take the foot off the gas pedal quick.

I think there is a little more play than normal, I can tell it's different. What do you think?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2005 | 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TL00CamaroSS
Well I will be trying to get some LTs soon and I'm wondering wheres a good place to get it done at. I would love to do it myself but I don't have access to a lift or an extra pair of hands since I haven't done it before. Also what does anyone know what kind of prices to expect to get the job done? Thanks

Tristan
A jack and jack stands along with some basic hand tools is all you need. Just getting the car up high enough is the only challenge. Slap some 2 x 4's between the k member and jack and you'll be fine as long as you're cautious.

Nate
Old 11-28-2005 | 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
A jack and jack stands along with some basic hand tools is all you need. Just getting the car up high enough is the only challenge. Slap some 2 x 4's between the k member and jack and you'll be fine as long as you're cautious.

Nate
You can do it yourself, I did. Headers are a bitch! Would I do it again? Yes. Would I do it again for the first time? **** no.

IMO give it over to Ellis.
Old 11-28-2005 | 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6freak
Ellis since you're here I have a question.

Remember when you told me that the cam surge was the cause for that so called "play" I mentioned between the gear box and rear end... So, the thing is that I can feel and hear that clang or that "play" even on higher revs around 2,500rpm when I take the foot off the gas pedal quick.

I think there is a little more play than normal, I can tell it's different. What do you think?

Thanks
For whats its worth I have the same "play". The car has always had it, or at least since I've had the car. I bought it as a 1yr old w/20k miles on it.
Old 11-28-2005 | 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Nate
I have done two LT installs on LS1 cars so far, both times in a garage.......really not "that" hard so long as you have lots of time to kill and can get the car high enough off the ground. A good Costco jack got them both far enough up that we didn't need any 2x4's fortunately........and I am no whiz of a mechanic by any stretch.

Course if you aren't doing it yourself, Ellis is THE man to do the job for ya.
Old 11-28-2005 | 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Nate
So would it be possible to get the car high enough to slide the headers where they are suppose to go, and lower the car on some jack stands to finish fitting them in? I don't like the idea of working under the car with only a jack and 2x4s holding it up.
Old 11-28-2005 | 08:19 PM
Banned

Installation is different per header as well. I installed my Stainless Works myself. Driver side was a peice of cake literaly. They would fall completely out of there if not for being bolted on. Passenger side was harder. First people tell you to cut off the block tab so I did it but to no avail. So then I moved the starter and they went up into place. They key to the passenger side was getting the car way up there. Used my ramps with 3 or 4 2x4's stacked on it, used the floor jack to put it on the ramps, with my jack stands as saftey catches should the ramps fail somehow. It was perfectly safe they're 2 ton jack stands. I've heard different experiences with other headers. Y pipe was easy as well.
Old 11-28-2005 | 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Ahh I see... I'm looking for a set of Kooks which from what I have read fit pretty good. I guess I'll have to see if I have any extra money left over when I get them, if I do I'll take it to Ellis. However it would be nice to use some of that money towards a tune afterwards.

Another question I have is have any of you guys found a pair of Kooks that have provisons for EGR in them? I emailed Speed Inc, and they said that they can get me 01-02 ones with just the AIR. So I would have to get an LS6 intake as well. Funny how a guy wants some headers and it just keeps adding up.
Old 11-28-2005 | 09:22 PM
Banned

oh your just at the begining stages of the sickness, it gets even more expensive as the illness wears on.
Old 11-28-2005 | 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Ahh I see... I'm looking for a set of Kooks which from what I have read fit pretty good. I guess I'll have to see if I have any extra money left over when I get them, if I do I'll take it to Ellis. However it would be nice to use some of that money towards a tune afterwards.

Another question I have is have any of you guys found a pair of Kooks that have provisons for EGR in them? I emailed Speed Inc, and they said that they can get me 01-02 ones with just the AIR. So I would have to get an LS6 intake as well. Funny how a guy wants some headers and it just keeps adding up.

EGR Can be blocked off with a simple freeze plug until you can afford an LS6 which is a nice upgrade anyways. and I recommend ellis for the work. He did my transmission and it's sweeeeeeet . Glad to see you goin with the kooks was gonna steer ya away from SLP if you were thinking of those.
Old 11-29-2005 | 12:22 AM
Banned

for the love of god DO NOT GET KOOKS HEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get QTP's for ease of fitment and price. If you get Krooks I will personally drive to your house and have a good laugh.

Nate
Old 11-29-2005 | 01:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I have Pacesetters and the install was about average... wasn't too easy, but also wasn't incredibly difficult. Just time consuming... we had just basic hand tools and jackstands, and we put the car up to the tallest notch on the stands... and even then it takes some massaging to get it in there.

Personally, if you've never done it before and don't have a lot of people around that have done it before and can help, I'd let a pro like Ellis have at it.
Old 11-29-2005 | 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

for the love of god DO NOT GET KOOKS HEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get QTP's for ease of fitment and price. If you get Krooks I will personally drive to your house and have a good laugh.

Nate
Why???? Aren't Kooks and QTP's the same design? My buddy got a set of Kooks for his '02 and I got QTP's for mine and they were basically identical. He has had no problems with his 18+ months and I haven't heard of anything bad about them.

They were just as easy to install as mine.

Also, we used those heavy duty (3 or 4 ton) jacks stands and had plenty of clearance and didn't have to leave the car on the jack or use 2x4's.

Quick Reply: Who locally does header installs?