Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

New Engine is only Part of the Equation

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005 | 03:02 AM
Pathological Modifier

Default New Engine is only Part of the Equation

So, in the other post I put up pictures of the new engine going in the Camaro, but, thats not all...

Other new additions for this "winter mod season":

1. PA Racing tubular K-member; (thoughts and impressions) I bought this little gem uncoated so that I could do some weling to it for extra bracing, etc. Once it arived, I looked it over and I couldn't find a single place that I would add to it! I had a BMR on the black car and I'd have to recommend the PA unit as its a much better design. The only draw back to the PA unit is the motor mounts are not integrated, and is a little heavier than the BMR. The motor mount is not as bad as it sounds, pulling the motor with the BMR K-sucked cause of the im-moveable mounts. If any thing, PA should design a Tubular replacement to the factory stands.

2. Yank 3400 PYE; Last year I picked up a Yank SC3000 converter when I put the turbo on. This was counter to Yanks recomendation (the SC3000 was designed for trucks) But I told them thats what I wanted... Well that converter turned out too tight for a 3600# Camaro. Last racing season the best 60" I could manage was a 1.77! After looking at my datalogs, it was apparent that I was only getting 2200 rpm stall. I couldn't get any Boost off the line at all. The New converter should do the trick, If I can get closer to 3000 RPM out of the hole, I should be able to cut 1.5X-1.6X 60's with out a problem. And that converter should be very street friendly.

3. BMR Front Lower A-arms; Really nothing to comment on these, they are the best replacement a-arms you can get, great weld quality, very good design. And they look cool (anything looks better than the factory A-Arms).

4. Bilstien HD Shocks: Decarbon Shocks are great but if your looking for a replacement, you can't go wrong with Bilstiens. Not a shock for drag racing but they sure make a car handle nice.

5. Accel Gen VII DFI: For tuning a FI car, nothing is better than a standalone engine management system! The Factory computer can do a good job but it has its limitaions. The Accel is really the middle ground when it comes to the EMSs available. Big Stuff 3 is probly top of the line and I would rate the FAST system at the bottom of the pack. Although Gen VII has one design flaw, its no good over 7000 rpm. The install of this baby is a major PITA. The harness needs a redesign to fit the LS1/F-body. I have the Accel harness and the factory harnes integrated for Trans control and dash gages. Not for the faint of heart.

I really don't know what the point of this post is, I just felt like typing...

Ryan K.
Old 12-16-2005 | 04:37 AM
Pathological Modifier

Trans rebuild #??: The 4L60e that factory installed in the Black Car has come a long way... I ran it in the black car for 3 years before going to a TH400. It has damn near every mod that can be done, and lasted this season Very Well. When I pulled the engine, I dragged it back to Ellis for its seasonal checkup. We added the 5 gear planetary that I didn't have (front or rear) and a fresh Z-Pack, should be good for a few more passes down the track. The Vacuum Modulator is the only way to fly.

Ryan
Old 12-16-2005 | 07:50 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for posting Ryan. I always enjoy reading what other people are doing, which parts they bought & why. It helps me to not make mistakes. And info on tubular chassis parts is priceless.

I too thought about a different stall because I was in the same boat as you. Thanfully 402 c.i. seems to have made a difference. With luck my rpms will get into the boost zone very soon after launch. Since I plan to run DRs, I'm not trying to get there at the starting line. But I want to get there well before the 60' mark.
Old 12-16-2005 | 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Can you snap some pics of the K-mem/a-arms installed? I would like to see these as I am interested in going with these in the future.
Old 12-16-2005 | 09:53 AM
Tech Addict

What kind of times are you shooting for Ryan?
Old 12-16-2005 | 11:37 AM
Pathological Modifier

Originally Posted by Rokko
What kind of times are you shooting for Ryan?
Really fast ones...
Old 12-16-2005 | 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Really fast ones...

"Really fast" or Really Fast
Old 12-16-2005 | 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Although Gen VII has one design flaw, its no good over 7000 rpm.
Kinda curious where that one comes from..... Who do you get this from? I know I'll be over 7000rpm, and the best tuners in country have no problem using the Gen7 in my new combination.....

Just wondering.
Old 12-16-2005 | 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Really fast ones...

you dog
Old 12-16-2005 | 02:49 PM
Launching!

Im still waiting for LG to get thers on the market... if ever.
I hope the PA works out for you Ryan, if you find some way to beef it up more thats always A+
Old 12-16-2005 | 04:18 PM
Pathological Modifier

Originally Posted by KTamez
Kinda curious where that one comes from..... Who do you get this from? I know I'll be over 7000rpm, and the best tuners in country have no problem using the Gen7 in my new combination.....

Just wondering.
The design flaw comes from the LS1 ignition box, They start to have EMI problems with the Crank Position sensor around 7200 rpm.

Strictly a LS1 issue...
Old 12-16-2005 | 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Gotcha, so is this the interface that the Gen7 uses that is the problem, or the coils themselves? Do the FAST or Big Stuff systems have the same types of problems? Seems weird.

Hell in some of the LT1 applications, the ideal was to go aftermarket EFI so you *could* have the extra rpm ability (NA/N20 Apps especially). With Forced Air you should be able to make plenty of power below the 7k anyways....
Old 12-16-2005 | 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Duh, in your last post I read Crank Trigger, and thought Coil Packs.

KTamez= Illiterate jackass

is it all that tough to just go to an MSD Crank Trigger and wheel?
Old 12-16-2005 | 05:27 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Well, considering what he's doing, and judging from the previous 10.85 time...

Makes me wonder if he's shooting for single digits.
Old 12-16-2005 | 05:31 PM
Pathological Modifier

Originally Posted by KTamez
Duh, in your last post I read Crank Trigger, and thought Coil Packs.

KTamez= Illiterate jackass

is it all that tough to just go to an MSD Crank Trigger and wheel?
It can be tricky unless you have a Keyed crank, you'd have to worry about the ballencer rotating...

Quick Reply: New Engine is only Part of the Equation