Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

PAGING ellis/mechanics/smart people

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006 | 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Default PAGING ellis/mechanics/smart people

ok my uncle was telling my dad NOT to put in my exhaust system i already have because it will hurt the tuning of the car and not even make a big difference...(which is wrong) my dad will be reading this post so please explain to him what the long tubes, y pipe, and cat back will do to the car.....my uncle says their high performance STOCK EXHAUST MANIFOLDS that are tunned to the car so theres no need for after market exhaust...please take your time to prove him different.....and also tell them 2002 WAS THE LAST YEAR OF FBODIES....(i think ive been reading and learning a little more abuot f bodies then they have) thanks for your time appreciate it!

(i think they just want me to keep the car stock b/c (if i get it) its a special vehicle (SS))
Old 01-07-2006 | 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Umm '02 was the last year for fbodies and LONGTUBE headers add quite a bit of hp to our modern cars. Less for the '01-'02's since they came with better exhaust manifolds, but they are still worth it. On a stock vehicle expect 15-20 rwhp and torque. And tell your uncle ..... oh nevermind .....
Old 01-07-2006 | 02:43 PM
Banned

yeah 02 was the last year of the f-body. Any car guy should know that. But seriously the stock manifolds are there to help emissions. Any high hp car will be choked up from the factory to keep sound and emissions at a minimum.

A header/catback setup should net you around 25+ rwhp. Just reset your fuel trims after the install and drive around for about a half an hour. Should at least get your car close.

Nate
Old 01-07-2006 | 02:45 PM
Banned

Actualy longtubes are just a marketing guise for the Steel industry and many providers, they dont add any power, people are all just fooled by the many dyno graphs proving their gains. J/K
LT's are well worth the gains. I have an SS, if they are concerned and think the car will be worth more 25 years from now stock than moded just keep your original parts in a box. I still have my factory y and manifolds.
Old 01-07-2006 | 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

thank you very much i read that whole post out loud to him and his response "whatever do what you want"...he thinks im going to ruin the value of this car or something? but if i plan on keeping it why would it matter you know? thanks for the posts...i plan on installing everything aswell as my UD pulley i just got...and i dont see how ANY aftermarket exhaust part could hurt the performance of the car...and after i install everything is it wise to get it tunned or can it run fine on the stock tune? LTs, y pipe, cat back, UD pulley, and lid?
Old 01-07-2006 | 03:26 PM
Banned

It might require a little tweaking. It will tend to run rich. I say if you are going to be doing some major modding in the next 6 months then hold off. Do you have any intentions for cam or heads in the near future? If not then get a tune.

Nate
Old 01-07-2006 | 03:31 PM
Banned

Well take it easy on him as well, he's just trying to look out for your best interest. He's right about stock cars bringing more money than a modded car but those are a very few classics these days and the value of a car is always subjective. You can please him and yourself by keeping all your original parts just in case something does happen and you want to sell it or have to. Remember he's your dad and he's actualy been there before done that so he does have some knowledge.
Old 01-07-2006 | 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

no i dont. no heads/cam with stock 10 bolt..no way
Old 01-07-2006 | 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

99blanco i know that, my dad is a great man i love him to death..but i got all these parts for the old camaro and then he was trying to tell me i cant put them in the new car and it just upset me because ive been reading about ls1s since last august and i researched the parts so i know its not guna do anything bad to the car but increase its power etc..
Old 01-07-2006 | 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
no i dont. no heads/cam with stock 10 bolt..no way
I'm running the stock rear w/373's and H/C numbers are in my sig. No problem with it at all and as long as I dont run some slicks and drop the clutch at 5800 rpms I dont think there will be any trouble either. I drive it hard.
Old 01-07-2006 | 03:36 PM
Banned

99blanco i know that, my dad is a great man i love him to death..but i got all these parts for the old camaro and then he was trying to tell me i cant put them in the new car and it just upset me because ive been reading about ls1s since last august and i researched the parts so i know its not guna do anything bad to the car but increase its power etc..
understandable, its cool.
Old 01-07-2006 | 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

25 Years from now what will bring more stock or modded car.

That is an interesting debate, since I intend to keep my car for 25 years. I sat on the fence of keeping it stock but then decided it's my car I should set it up how I want it, that's Hot Rodding right?

After watching all the shows on speed vision you can always take them back to stock no matter what you do anyways. I have keep my stock parts.

If you watch auctions such as Barrett Jackson there is not a clear direction on which cars are worth more modded or not. The current trend in Street Rods is to street rod a 60'- 70' Muscle car. Done right they bring big dollars.
Old 01-07-2006 | 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

thank you very much i read that whole post out loud to him and his response "whatever do what you want"...he thinks im going to ruin the value of this car or something?
Either that or slap the parts on and not get it tuned properly OR its going to be the money pit that will never get you to move out OR he knows you never finish what you start? (taking a shot here, its the usual reasons parents come up with)

but if i plan on keeping it why would it matter you know?
Maybe he is going off of your spelling and punctuation OR the gain in HP will wrap you around a tree and you won't have a car OR the apple doesn't fall far from the tree (thinking of brother as well).

thanks for the posts...i plan on installing everything aswell as my UD pulley i just got...and i dont see how ANY aftermarket exhaust part could hurt the performance of the car...and after i install everything is it wise to get it tunned or can it run fine on the stock tune? LTs, y pipe, cat back, UD pulley, and lid?
Again you will need to get someone with the proper tuner to get it tweaked right which is money for that and dyno.

Dad is probably thinking you will not move out in less than a year if you invest in the money pit. Maybe if you get the car and *promise* not to do anything to it until you move out his response might be different? If it isn't then he's probably worried about you ending up with no car and a huge insurance claim/liability.

Just playing advocate.
Old 01-07-2006 | 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

-gearhead: my christmas present this year was he helped me buy the exhaust for the ls1 and he was going to pay for installation...so it would get finished...and i need to find a tuner in my area..and im going to Bellevue CC next year so im guna stay home prob another year-year 1/2...and i have been driving now for 2 years with a 83 camaro with about 300 rwhp (heads/cam rebuilt 350), never got a ticket nor any accidents, so i dont think hes scared of me wrecking
-99blanco: i posted i was thinking about getting gears in the gears thread and people said dont touch the stock rear cause it will break...you got a good 10 bolt i guess...hopefully mines just as reliable..
Old 01-07-2006 | 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

10 bolts are like rolling the dice, some people have no problems with them and some people have them go out from normal (not race track) driving.......I wouldn't trust one much past bolt ons though if it were me. Hell, mine went out with just bolt ons and less then 6 drag strip passes on street tires (not hard launches either). They just aren't that strong.
Old 01-07-2006 | 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

-gearhead: my christmas present this year was he helped me buy the exhaust for the ls1 and he was going to pay for installation...so it would get finished...and i need to find a tuner in my area..and im going to Bellevue CC next year so im guna stay home prob another year-year 1/2...and i have been driving now for 2 years with a 83 camaro with about 300 rwhp (heads/cam rebuilt 350), never got a ticket nor any accidents, so i dont think hes scared of me wrecking
-99blanco: i posted i was thinking about getting gears in the gears thread and people said dont touch the stock rear cause it will break...you got a good 10 bolt i guess...hopefully mines just as reliable..
Cool beans, then some of what he said may be for other reasons: as in parents aren't always resonable people (at the time). More likely he is still smarting over your brother wrecking his/your car and doesn't want to see you go through the same thing. Dad's can be funny that way...

Curious - what are you taking at BCC? John is alumi there and still works with the student rights dept from time to time including mentoring high school kids so they can go onto places like BCC. If you get stuck in class sign up hell PM me, at least he can explain the ways around some of the inane walls they have.

Not sure who does tuning for a 2002 - TJ?
Old 01-07-2006 | 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
10 bolts are like rolling the dice, some people have no problems with them and some people have them go out from normal (not race track) driving.......I wouldn't trust one much past bolt ons though if it were me. Hell, mine went out with just bolt ons and less then 6 drag strip passes on street tires (not hard launches either). They just aren't that strong.
Its a crap shoot for sure but everything aside from the 10 bolt has gone **** up on mine so my guess its going to hold on the track

yea yea yea...but remember, Ellis is the jack-stand Queen and mine did run from August to April!
Old 01-07-2006 | 05:33 PM
TECH Junkie

hey thanks gear head i appreciate that..ill let you know later on in the year once i get closer to graduating here...i have finals next week to finish off our first semester...but ill shoot you a pm once i start looking into classes and registering!
Old 01-07-2006 | 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Its a crap shoot for sure but everything aside from the 10 bolt has gone **** up on mine so my guess its going to hold on the track

yea yea yea...but remember, Ellis is the jack-stand Queen and mine did run from August to April!
August to April........of what year? Decade? Century? <ducking>
Old 01-07-2006 | 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

hey thanks gear head i appreciate that..ill let you know later on in the year once i get closer to graduating here...i have finals next week to finish off our first semester...but ill shoot you a pm once i start looking into classes and registering!
Its always an open offer if you know exactly the classes you want to take and can't seem to get registered for them. You might want to get the rough out now since BCC happens to change policy quarterly

Quick Reply: PAGING ellis/mechanics/smart people