Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Bird knocked out of flight :( (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah the 2nd visit I went to my normal doctor at Virginia Mason which radiology is only open M-F. As I was told by the ER to follow up with my primary care physician. Who told me that it wasn't just an abrasion (which is what the ER told me) that I had a mild concussion and whiplash.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Josh, I have dealt with this problem recently as well. My 2 cents: Hold off on getting a lawyer until you see what kind of injuries you have and how they will affect you in the future. You should be able to negotiate a fair settlement for your car. DO NOT GIVE A STATEMENT TO THEIR INSURANCE ADJUSTER!!!!!!!! The time tou need a lawyer is if you have serious injuries that require lots of treatment and or surgury. If you end up at that point let me know, I have a very good lawyer you could talk to.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Many here have provided wise guidance as to whether to lawyer up or not. Generally I'd agree.

One thing that you have to remember is regardless of law enforcements determination of "fault", the insurer will try to subrogate the liabililty as much as possible. They will download your in car computer if so equipped, depending on $$ at statke, may utilize the services of an engineer and/or a traffic crash reconstructionist to determine speed, braking,etc. They may also attempt to track your actions the night/day of the crash to determine what you were doing prior to, which may have contributed to your reactions or lack thereof such as fatigue, alcohol, or other stresses.

Some like Progressive, even monitor boards like these (ask me how I know) to observe a persons "driving habits." Be careful what you write, you may see it again.

Patience and perserverence is the key however. Insurance companies by and large are not your "friend" nor are they looking out for "your" best interest. They are businesses looking out for thier own bottom line. The adjuster is there not to make you happy, but to save the comnpany $$. I have friends who are adjusters and they recieves "bonuses" at the EOY for % saved for the company. There are some good ones out there, but I've found them to be few and far between.

Finally, remember the words "BAD FAITH." Thgis is one phrase that, when stated seems to get thier attention above everything else. Do some research and find out whats required and hold it in abeyance until it's NEEDED. Don't banter it about immediately or even in the next 6 months or so or they'll know you're bluffing.

If you have to use it, understand that this is a civil action against the company for punitive damages (to punish them) for not acting in good faith (thus the term) in dealing with your cliam. This can include but is not limited to:

-Refusing to authorize medical treatment
-Refusing to compensate you fro rental (if applicable)
-Failing to handle the claim in a timely fashion,
etc, etc...

Judges and juries are pretty quick to find for the plaintiff (you) in these types of cases when properly presented and provide large $$ for this activity. Simply because most people just don't like or trust insurance companies and insurance companies have done nothing to improve thier reputation over the years.

The insurers don't want these kind of cases in court.

Didn't mean to **** on the parade and again, I think you've gotten some wise advise, just wanted you to have the "other side" of the coin so you don't get blindsided.

Glad you're basically ok and good luck with your car and your recovery.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW Josh keep track of the car. I totaled mine on a friday and before they even paid me out they had sold the car(four days later) and it was gone! I was not notified or ask if I wanted the car(I did) before they sold it off.

Good luck with every thing and listen to the guy above me
Old 01-17-2006, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Just got word today Pemco accepted liability now I just have to hear back from Progressive on the status of the car. I want bill's car damn it lol other details are in the works for that but I need the total to be final and finance company paid to move forward.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Just got word today Pemco accepted liability now I just have to hear back from Progressive on the status of the car. I want bill's car damn it lol other details are in the works for that but I need the total to be final and finance company paid to move forward.
FYI, you are prolly looking at a minimum of 2-4 weeks before you see any $$. Was your car paid off (I get the impression it wasn't given your comment about a finance company) and how much, if any, do you think you will be getting on top of the payoff amount? Also, you just switched jobs (again) so be prepared to have finance companies balk at giving you a used car loan somewhat unless you have a good amount to use as a down payment......not saying it can't or won't happen, just don't think it will be a slam dunk given the circumstances. Maybe your folks could help you out or something similar?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Just got word today Pemco accepted liability
Gee....I wonder why they did that?

now I just have to hear back from Progressive on the status of the car. I want bill's car damn it lol other details are in the works for that but I need the total to be final and finance company paid to move forward.
Progressive is pretty good about getting things wrapped asap. The only real hold up is getting the note-holder to give them the final payoff amount so you might want to try to follow up on them.

BTW, how is your back and neck? You get those things done that needed a lil' attention?

Its all good, if you were meant to be in Bills car you will
Old 01-18-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GEARHED
What she said.....I didn't mean to sound like such a downer in my last post.......was just looking at things from a different perspective. Nice thing about cars is there is always another one just around the corner and like she said, if you and Bill's car were meant to be, then you will be together.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Gee....I wonder why they did that?

Progressive is pretty good about getting things wrapped asap. The only real hold up is getting the note-holder to give them the final payoff amount so you might want to try to follow up on them.

BTW, how is your back and neck? You get those things done that needed a lil' attention?

yeah they've already contacted them and gotten the payoff amount. She was out of the office yesterday so she's waiting for a call this afternoon from the body shop. And yes after fighting with the ER doctor I finally got some xrays. (it was the same doctor I saw friday ) And even after that he said they looked "normal" oh well. Still gotta call the chiropractor and everything. Pickin up a rental today.

Last edited by rookiels1; 01-18-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to see that happen Josh.... good luck
Old 01-18-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

That really sucks Josh,
All you can really do is deal with it and move on, the T/A I mean.

As far as your health goes you need to be very aware of a neck or back injury. My sister and I were in a similar accident back in 1968. My sister was diagnosed as having whiplash, she was 17 yrs. old. Needless to say she has had chronic neck problems and much pain throughout her life and still does deal with it at the age of 53.

We all thought she was OK until a few months later. It never really healed right. You need a good Chiropractor to check you out and keep an eye on it for a few months anyway.

I'm with GEARHED, no Xrays That's just not right.

Anyways, good luck to you.

Fast Eddie

I know of a 98 WS6(black) A4 w/11000 miles on it setting in a co-workers heated garage. Bone stock and he wants to sell, not sure what he's asking.

Last edited by Fast Eddie's 02 T/A vert.; 01-18-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Ok... they are gonna total it... don't have a final buy back figure but close to $1k it looks like. I have the car at my house right now and as soon as it's all said and done I know ryan k was asking about it. (And ryan if you don't have a need for the SLP long tubes on there I have a co-worker who would like them)
Old 01-19-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Buy back is $1,000? Meaning you can buy your car back from the insurance company for a grand? So how much (if anything) are they giving you after they pay off the loan?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah meaning I can buy it back for a grand... The adjuster still hasn't seen the car, they're goin off of the bodyshop just glancing at the car and sayin it's totalled. Just like we did. NADA on it even with 117,000 is 11k avg retail and with the trans being built fairly recently I'm thinkin I can at least get 11k if not 12 (doubtful but we'll see)
Old 01-19-2006, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap dude,,, just saw this post!! Glad you're basically ok but sorry to see a nice F-body bite the bullet.

Hope everything pans out for ya!

Mike
Old 01-20-2006, 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah meaning I can buy it back for a grand... The adjuster still hasn't seen the car, they're goin off of the bodyshop just glancing at the car and sayin it's totalled. Just like we did. NADA on it even with 117,000 is 11k avg retail and with the trans being built fairly recently I'm thinkin I can at least get 11k if not 12 (doubtful but we'll see)
Josh, I need to update my mind filled with useless information so I'll try to give you a call just to see how this played out. Curious to see if that was the "$1,000 pay out, tops" and they flipped it around.

Just keep those notes - and glad you had the *same* ER doc had to deal with you again. Send me a copy of those bills! Progressive is pretty good about totalling but they wouldn't let us buy ours back...hmmmm

Rest easy when you can but you know that
Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Josh, I need to update my mind filled with useless information so I'll try to give you a call just to see how this played out. Curious to see if that was the "$1,000 pay out, tops" and they flipped it around.

Just keep those notes - and glad you had the *same* ER doc had to deal with you again. Send me a copy of those bills! Progressive is pretty good about totalling but they wouldn't let us buy ours back...hmmmm

Rest easy when you can but you know that
Pemco took over on the physical damage stuff on the total loss. and said it would be a buy back of between $750-1200. Progressive said if I wasn't happy with pemco's offer that they would take over again.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

*drum roll please*

and the estimate for repairs (not the value so far) is....

$12,816.87

pay off on the car is $8300 so as close as I can get to that 12k figure the happier I'll be.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

*drum roll please*

and the estimate for repairs (not the value so far) is....

$12,816.87

pay off on the car is $8300 so as close as I can get to that 12k figure the happier I'll be.
But don't the insurance companies only pay off the car? So they would only give you the $8300 and you would have to come up with the down payment or what ever for a new car. That's what I always thought anyways........which is why I have always been scared of totaling one of my cars.

If they would give the estimate price then you could pay off the car and use the extra money for a down payment, that would rock!
Old 01-20-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Pemco took over on the physical damage stuff on the total loss. and said it would be a buy back of between $750-1200. Progressive said if I wasn't happy with pemco's offer that they would take over again.
Sweet!

DON'T FORGET TO GET THE MONEY YOU PAID IN TAX AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE BACK AS A SEPARATE PAYMENT. ITS LAW AND FEW KNOW IT!!

That should give you at least another grand or close. Yes, it is *separate* from all other settlements and you are due that back when a car is "totalled" by an insurance company.

Brought to you by another useless fact rolling round in my head...

Quick Reply: Bird knocked out of flight :( (56k beware)