15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006 | 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Actually it is because they have no stored energy for take off's
That's why I stick to the heavier flywheels. The monmemtum from the rotating mass will give a better launch, generally.
Robert
Old 01-27-2006 | 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Noted 18lb steel it is or factory LS2 depending on if I go LS7 or Textralia.
Old 01-28-2006 | 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Noted 18lb steel it is or factory LS2 depending on if I go LS7 or Textralia.
i'm looking at the mccloud master, pilot bearing and ls7 right now for my car
Old 01-30-2006 | 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

I went the inexpensive route with a ram non hd (500hp) clutch with the stock flywheel turned by a local machine shop. It is holding great so far. I want to say I had it back on the road with 300 to 400 dollars invested ( I can't remember the exact cost)
Old 02-04-2006 | 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

I have the Mcleod and so far I love it. I have to agree with tranzor about how violent it can be on your drivetrain. I have upgraded everything from the motor back in hopes of keeping the clutch from breaking something. But even with all that done when I'm on it hard and speed shift at the top of a gear, it grabs so hard that the drivetrain makes a violent metalic whoosh sound as the clutch engages. Kinda scary!!

I have already gone through 3 other clutches and this one kicks ***. I would recommend it and have to say that it is very streetable but has a heavier pedal pressure than most!

Just my .02 cents from my experiences.
Old 02-05-2006 | 01:36 AM
10 Second Club

You will certainly need the slave mod Josh. Bill was already having issues shifting.....
Old 02-05-2006 | 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
You will certainly need the slave mod Josh. Bill was already having issues shifting.....
I have to agree with Mark! the factory master and slave are garbage! I have the Z06 slave and the Mcleod master and I finally don't have any cltuch sticking to the floor issues. I will put that to the ultimate test come the 12th at PR.
Old 02-05-2006 | 11:38 AM
Banned

Wow all I get when I drop second hard is a slight decrease in acceleration as the back tires spin for a second before they grap again. No noises, just a slight kick in the rear as it straightens itself out again. Had someone yesterday try and pull the old rolling drag run from a light to get in front of me yesterday. I wound it out in 1st slowly at first to give them hope of beating me then hit second at 6k rpms and left about 20ft. Needless to say he wasnt getting in front of me. Tex has taken all I can give it so far. I dont have a sticking problem and havent done the mod either, but am thinking about it just for something to do. Not trying to coherce anyone here either just reporting my experiences with the tex so far.
Old 02-05-2006 | 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Wow all I get when I drop second hard is a slight decrease in acceleration as the back tires spin for a second before they grap again. No noises, just a slight kick in the rear as it straightens itself out again. Had someone yesterday try and pull the old rolling drag run from a light to get in front of me yesterday. I wound it out in 1st slowly at first to give them hope of beating me then hit second at 6k rpms and left about 20ft. Needless to say he wasnt getting in front of me. Tex has taken all I can give it so far. I dont have a sticking problem and havent done the mod either, but am thinking about it just for something to do. Not trying to coherce anyone here either just reporting my experiences with the tex so far.

So is your engine ok? Last we heard it may be dead
Old 02-05-2006 | 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
So is your engine ok? Last we heard it may be dead
Its still in debate. Had it on the rack at my local muffler shop for a long time and we found one of the cats is definately loose inside and is creating some of the noise. (Tom was real busy and didnt have a rack)open. Tom got me some me some better ones, we didnt have time to put them on, but he did confirm the nosiy cat. But he also doesnt think that is the only noise so.. I'm hopeful that it will be, but just in case I'm driving it hard when I drive it to force the issue to make itself more clear. I really need to know what it is so I can make some decisions Damn thing runs strong, oil pressure is steady and strong, doesnt indicate to me that its breaking up. Other than the noise Was gonna post my results after the cats and let you all know whats up, appreciate the help and concern.

GO HAWKS

Time to get in da shower and head over to the SB BBQ!! Baked some brownies for dessert, got my bottle , good luck seahawks fans I'm with ya today!

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 02-05-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2006 | 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Remember, if going Textraila, they rec no drill mod, not needed, and they use the Z06 slave and factory master. Using the Mcleod master can cause issues also, and IIRC Textraila says stay away from that also. A complete package that works, for sure. Has held upto 1000rwhp.
Robert
Old 02-06-2006 | 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER

slave mod or drill mod? I think the 01's already have the updated slave and if I remember correctly the vette slave is different than the f-body slave? but I could be wrong. and yes I've ran into the clutch issue did on my old one as well. doesn't happen on the 1-2 just the 2-3-4 but will effect all shifting afterwards for about 5-10 minutes depending on how you drive. Heat issue?
Old 02-06-2006 | 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

hmm this also looks interesting

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=clutch+pedal
Old 02-06-2006 | 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Imo, the sticking clutch pedal is a pressure plate issue and not hydraulics. I am still using unmodded hyd and with Textraila clutch and pressure plate no sticking pedal. However, i was having this problem with stock press plate/clutch disc. Also, why would a good working clutch set-up rec stock hydraulics, and in fact send a new stock slave and rec no modding, because problem is solved with new press plate/disc. Yes, the late f-bod and Z06 slaves are the same, except lenght of bleeder is model specific. Aussie clutch came with a Z06/f-bod slave, new Zo6 flywheel and aussie disc/pressure plate.
Robert
Old 02-06-2006 | 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Imo, the sticking clutch pedal is a pressure plate issue and not hydraulics. I am still using unmodded hyd and with Textraila clutch and pressure plate no sticking pedal. However, i was having this problem with stock press plate/clutch disc. Also, why would a good working clutch set-up rec stock hydraulics, and in fact send a new stock slave and rec no modding, because problem is solved with new press plate/disc. Yes, the late f-bod and Z06 slaves are the same, except lenght of bleeder is model specific. Aussie clutch came with a Z06/f-bod slave, new Zo6 flywheel and aussie disc/pressure plate.
Robert

Ok I read somewhere that stated one guys sticking pedal was due to a warped press plate. Which seems to be common with F-bod's with headers. To avoid this happening on the Tex would wrapping the headers be a good idea?
Old 02-07-2006 | 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sure couldn't hurt.
robert
Old 02-20-2006 | 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Ok I read somewhere that stated one guys sticking pedal was due to a warped press plate. Which seems to be common with F-bod's with headers. To avoid this happening on the Tex would wrapping the headers be a good idea?
I had clutch issues after I installed LT's on my car........after the first run down the strip and the clutch nearly hit the floor and was soft as can be......took about 5 minutes for it to cool off enough to work normally again. Happened like that all night. Seems the fluid isn't made for that kinda heat and having headers increaaes the heat a lot.

Was fine after I stopped making passes.

edit: This is just general talk about F-Bod clutches, not about Bill's old car/Josh's new car's problem.

Last edited by Rottluver; 02-20-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2006 | 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

I spent alot of time in that car and IMO the only thing that could explain it's behavior is that at higher rpms the clutch fingers flex and push the slave back into it's bore. I firmly believe it's a pressure plate issue.
Old 03-02-2006 | 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racehead
I spent alot of time in that car and IMO the only thing that could explain it's behavior is that at higher rpms the clutch fingers flex and push the slave back into it's bore. I firmly believe it's a pressure plate issue.

It is most definately a PP issue
Old 03-02-2006 | 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

i use mcleods in both my cars.never had any problems.the vert put down 700rwhp on et streets.don't believe any single disk will match that.
we got some pretty fast cars on the east side. maybe we get together and run you west side boys? any takers?
matt

Quick Reply: Clutch opinions