Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

2006 Run What you Brung List!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just realised, that the only 10 second cars are all running SSefi Transmissions...
Old 09-07-2006, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SSSSHHHHHHHHH....that's a "SECRET"
Old 09-07-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
It should be but I hear the Vette guys are going out to try and take us down next weekend
Honestly!! I seriously doubt my car has enough in it to take you guys down. But it should have enough to run a 10 second ET. That's all I really am looking for. Maybe in a couple years I can compete with you guys!

Now there is a corvette we all know which Robert and I can donate some nitrous too which will definately dethrown you all.

But I don't think he's into that kind of racing!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryan K
I aint Scared... Damn Manual transmission guys will never learn...

Half the speed, twice the breakage.
LOL!!! Yeah........that's true.........kinda! Did you see that episode of Pinks with the Camaro? It had a manual tranny.

Your definately correct about auto's being faster though. You got to give it to us though! We may not be as fast as you guys, but we aren't doing too bad......huh?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

I just realised, that the only 10 second cars are all running SSefi Transmissions...
Not for long! My bet is that at LEAST one of the Vettes here will be running 10's next race day!

Hopefully you'll be out clinging onto your #1 spot. How is your car doing anyway??
Old 09-07-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

It should be but I hear the Vette guys are going out to try and take us down next weekend
That would be sweet, but likely not going to happen this year. I just want my top five back and a 10.xx slip, so Jon it looks like our current battle is between you and I to stay top 5. But, the Vette's are still coming, 6-speeds and all. next year I will prob have a Ellis built M12 in the top 5 area, as I don't think my current set-up can take much of the 3-stage brutality. we will see.
Robert
Old 09-08-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Not for long! My bet is that at LEAST one of the Vettes here will be running 10's next race day!

Hopefully you'll be out clinging onto your #1 spot. How is your car doing anyway??
:::Cough:::

who straightened out that mess you had again?
Old 09-08-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
so Jon it looks like our current battle is between you and I to stay top 5.
Robert
That is true........

I don't think you and I are close enough to compete with the top 4! I think you got the #5 spot unless I use your tire/rims setup and can cut a 1.5X 60ft like you did/are. Then I think you'll have your work cut out for you.

But if I stay on these BFG's I honestly think my days are numbered! BUT, I'll be happy with the #6 spot and a 10 second timeslip for the rest of the winter.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

:::Cough:::

who straightened out that mess you had again?
I was just saying that Robert and/or I will be in the 10's with You, Ryan, Mark, and Don. So that SSefi won't be........ Um, Oh wait......I get it now. You mean since you fixed my car that its a Speed Secrets tranny as well.

Sometimes you got to spell things out for us not so quick individuals!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I was just saying that Robert and/or I will be in the 10's with You, Ryan, Mark, and Don. So that SSefi won't be........ Um, Oh wait......I get it now. You mean since you fixed my car that its a Speed Secrets tranny as well.

Sometimes you got to spell things out for us not so quick individuals!
Hehe

You catch on quick! Cindy must have helped you
Old 09-08-2006, 07:36 AM
10 Second Club

Don't take any of this ribbing serious Jon. We're just having fun. It's all good my friend.

And a manual car has the capability of being faster than an auto because of the lower drive train losses. But most cars with lots of power don't have $20k invested in the suspension to hook it up, so the auto cars usually run better....for sure more consistently. But look at the Pro Stockers - 6.6 sec @ 205 mph with 0.9 60' times using a 5 sp MANUAL!!! It can be done.

And that IS an intersting observation Ryan! Not a surprise, I just never noticed..... ELLIS
Old 09-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Pathological Modifier

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
And a manual car has the capability of being faster than an auto because of the lower drive train losses.
Not really when you think about it... If you take two cars that have the same RWHP levels, the Auto car's aera under the curve will be much greater than the manual car. Couple that with a continuous power output (WOT durring the shifts) and the auto car is just plain faster. Obviously this is to a point. BTW the manual cars you are talking about are about as far removed from being manual transmissions as you can get. Their clutch system is not a traditional clutch and when they shift, they have clutches between the gears (like an automatic) which means the power is never removed from the drivetrain.

T56<<< Liberty or Linco(sp)
Old 09-08-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to go for a RIDE get an auto, If you want to go for a DRIVE, get a manual.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
If you want to go for a RIDE get an auto, If you want to go for a DRIVE, get a manual.
When your car is running 11.22's then you can type this comment. Till then I'm sure you'll consider my car quite the "RIDE".

Not really when you think about it... If you take two cars that have the same RWHP levels, the Auto car's aera under the curve will be much greater than the manual car. Couple that with a continuous power output (WOT durring the shifts) and the auto car is just plain faster. Obviously this is to a point. BTW the manual cars you are talking about are about as far removed from being manual transmissions as you can get. Their clutch system is not a traditional clutch and when they shift, they have clutches between the gears (like an automatic) which means the power is never removed from the drivetrain..
I do agree with you! Look at Rey's Vette compared to mine. We have basically the same HP and the same curve (I got to see and compare mine to his at TJ's), yet he runs much better ET's than I do. Now you have to admit that there are some damn fast 6speeds out there............some that will leave you wondering if your turbo camaro is broken. But I definately concur with the fact that auto's are faster than manuals. ON THE DRAG STRIP!

But manuels are more fun to drive.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
When your breaking loose banging 4th gear (not to mention the other 3), then that becomes quite the ride. However, you must also have to be able to drive, so if you want a ride and do some driving get a manual. If you want to be like grandma, then get an automatic. (even the smile is a manual)
Robert
Old 09-08-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Not really when you think about it...
uh huh !
If you take two cars that have the same RWHP levels, the Auto car's aera under the curve will be much greater than the manual car.
If they both have the same rwhp then the auto cars got the hotter engine since it has to contend with greater drivetrain losses to get that "same" rwhp
Couple that with a continuous power output (WOT durring the shifts) and the auto car is just plain faster.
You mean us M6'ers can't shift at WOT ? I wish I'd known that before .... but remember that a well shifted manual stores the energy accumulated during the shift in the form of rpm only to be released back into the car upon completion of the shift .... barring hitting the rev limiter of course.
Obviously this is to a point. BTW the manual cars you are talking about are about as far removed from being manual transmissions as you can get. Their clutch system is not a traditional clutch and when they shift, they have clutches between the gears (like an automatic) which means the power is never removed from the drivetrain.

T56<<< Liberty or Linco(sp)
Ok, so you're correct on most points above, it's still good to be back and arguing with you stab n' steer warriors

Go M6'ers
Old 09-08-2006, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racehead
uh huh ! If they both have the same rwhp then the auto cars got the hotter engine since it has to contend with greater drivetrain losses to get that "same" rwhp You mean us M6'ers can't shift at WOT ? I wish I'd known that before .... but remember that a well shifted manual stores the energy accumulated during the shift in the form of rpm only to be released back into the car upon completion of the shift .... barring hitting the rev limiter of course.

Ok, so you're correct on most points above, it's still good to be back and arguing with you stab n' steer warriors

Go M6'ers

I used to shift at wot throttle without the use of the clutch And remember I used to have the fastest car in the n.w.

And it was never worked on by the elis............................ he almost got his hands on it

I say to each his own, if a stick tranny is built right and the guy holding the stick can drive than yes it will be faster than an auto, but those two things don't come together very often. And if you look at the big dogs, that run auto's they still shift the gears.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Pathological Modifier

Originally Posted by Racehead
uh huh ! If they both have the same rwhp then the auto cars got the hotter engine since it has to contend with greater drivetrain losses to get that "same" rwhp You mean us M6'ers can't shift at WOT ? I wish I'd known that before .... but remember that a well shifted manual stores the energy accumulated during the shift in the form of rpm only to be released back into the car upon completion of the shift .... barring hitting the rev limiter of course.

Go M6'ers

OK, well the Vette guys come in with RWHP levels the same as some of us F-body guys, thus drawing my first quote...

Second, Shifting at WOT and Actually APPLYING that WOT power to the drive train uninterupted are two different things... Also, an auto has everybit as much "stored" energy durring the shift, ever weighd a Torque converter? As engine RPM drops on the shift its releasing that kinetic energy.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Ryan here has some good points.

Auto cars lauch at or near there peak TQ and stay there then climb the RPM range taking alot more advantage of the available power. While an auto has more loss it ALSO getts to use more of the power in the band for a longer period of time the a Stick shift.

My car hitt's 4,500RPM with in .050 seconds and NEVER comes below that RPM again in the run.

While many stick guys start over that RPM the rpm drop on the launch kill's this climb. They get by with much deeper gears in the rear and more shifts.

Yes there are an infinate number of variables to each combination and each has its own advantage.

TO each his own is the way I feel. Both have there advantages. I prefer to keep cost down a reliability up so I run a auto. Not as 'Cool' as a stick but it gett's me by

BTW Anyone who believes and Auto is for pussies MIGHT want to ride in a fast auto car. They might change there mind when they are sideways at 100 I nominate Don Berry as the car provider and pilot
Old 09-09-2006, 04:09 AM
10 Second Club

This is kind of getting rediculous!

I like my 6 speed............and that's what I want to race. It may not be consistant like most of you other guys, but plently of people run very consistant in there 6 speeds.

I'm just out here to have fun and enjoy your guys company while I race. I don't really car whether I get the number 1 spot or nuber 30 spot. I just want to run a 10 second ET and have some fun while I'm at it.

You guys are kind of making a big deal like our 6 spds aren't suposed to be as fast as they are.

I just want to have some fun. Who cares who has what kind of tranny.

Quick Reply: 2006 Run What you Brung List!